Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default KEYS

I am planning on getting a couple of extra keys made for my very soon, I don't want that to happen to me..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Brp cant send u one per your vin number??! Most auto dealers keep that info for last 10 years fyi, have had to use service on other cars saved my butt , long wait but co$t was worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Resister /key cuts

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    So then, if you lost both, why can't you get a new key, with a new chip, cut according to our key code, and then have the system re-programmed to the new chip?
    Todays keys , back in the mid 90's the auto industry started using this kind of system. They used to keep key codes on file , and when I first started working in the field the code was stamped into the lock body some place. However at this point they no longer do that. (some companies may still , but most do not). take the key cuts for example there are 6 cuts and maybe 6 depths which gives them the possible of 6 to the 6th power , that's a lot of keys. then there is the resister value and there are 100,000s of thousands possible values. For the industry it is just easier to say you need a new ignition and computer , that will be $500 please.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Brp cant send u one per your vin number??! Most auto dealers keep that info for last 10 years fyi, have had to use service on other cars saved my butt , long wait but co$t was worth it.
    I received a small tag with the key code when I purchased my Spyder but if I lost all my keys that key code still would not help me. For bikes prior to 2014 you must have a key that is currently recognized by the security system in order to add other keys.

That is why I have cloned my keys and keep a set safely stored away. And if I had a 2014 I would cough up the money to have a third key (haven't found anyone who has a cheaper alternative) made to store away as well just in case.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

First thing I did when we got home with our bikes was to put the spare keys in the safe! I had no idea they were worth that much coin though.......

Spyder Garage

Default 3 Keys

I also have 3 keys. One i never use, just keep it at home. One I use everytime I ride and the third key is either hanging around my neck under my jacket or it is in my wifes possesion when she is with me. Never lock it in a compartment or frunk it does no good there.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KCannaday View Post
    First thing I did when we got home with our bikes was to put the spare keys in the safe! I had no idea they were worth that much coin though.......
    Well; they'll be safe...
    But completely inaccessible, should you need them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    I received a small tag with the key code when I purchased my Spyder but if I lost all my keys that key code still would not help me. For bikes prior to 2014 you must have a key that is currently recognized by the security system in order to add other keys.

That is why I have cloned my keys and keep a set safely stored away. And if I had a 2014 I would cough up the money to have a third key (haven't found anyone who has a cheaper alternative) made to store away as well just in case.
    What is the cost to clone a pre-2013 key.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

What is the cost to clone a pre-2013 key.
    First you need to get a key blank. http://www.lockpicks.com/aprilia-sco...23rt5-jma.html has it for $7.65 + shipping. Shop around maybe you can find it cheaper. Then you need to find a local locksmith that will cut the new key blank and clone it. Cost should be $10 to $20.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hi rob,

Re: What is the cost to clone a pre-2013 key.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...mming-Question

As I posted in that thread:

This guy can cut & clone for $47.95 which includes return shipping.

www.keys4urride.com

sales@keys4urride.com

Bill Taylor
    5801 County Line Road
    Mount Pleasant, NC 28124-8951

I have no affiliation with this person.

He is not the cheapest but he did exactly what he said he would do and he did it very fast. And it works just fine.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    First you need to get a key blank. http://www.lockpicks.com/aprilia-sco...23rt5-jma.html has it for $7.65 + shipping. Shop around maybe you can find it cheaper. Then you need to find a local locksmith that will cut the new key blank and clone it. Cost should be $10 to $20.
    my true value hardware cloned and cut mine for free... some lowes will clone them also...

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Billy. I was not aware that a local locksmith could program the chip. I will check into that. As precious as these things apparently are, I would hesitate to send one of my keys to an Internet vendor to duplicate the programming. I expect the process would cost a lot more at a Can-Am dealer.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Billy. I was not aware that a local locksmith could program the chip. I will check into that. As precious as these things apparently are, I would hesitate to send one of my keys to an Internet vendor to duplicate the programming. I expect the process would cost a lot more at a Can-Am dealer.
    I haven't priced an OEM key, but I imagine it isn't less than $30, then you can probably expect a dealer to charge for at least 30 minutes at flat rate.

I went with the cloning route, ended up getting 5 made. As Billy said, the blanks were about $8. I had a regular locksmith cut one of them, they charged $10 and would have cloned the chip but they wanted around $40 to do so, IIRC. Took the cut key to an ACE hardware and they cloned it for free. Got some more in and went down to the same ACE hardware. Rules had changed, they wouldn't cut and clone a blank that they didn't provide. Went to a different ACE and they cut the key but their machine wouldn't read my Spyder key, so no clone. Took the key to a Lowes and they cloned it for free.

So I would look around before committing to one vendor. If you lead with the word motorcycle a lot of them will probably say they can't do it. If you have the blanks (go to the link Billy posted) and take your key to a vendor and have them actually see if they can read the Spyder key you should be able to get a reasonably priced key.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know replacement keys are a pain. On my Wing, I have a spare key wired behind an easily removed panel. Right now, I have my spare in the "glove compartment" where I can get to it. Not smart....perhaps, but if I am 100 miles from the house, it would do me no good if kept there. I think most thieves are not familiar with the Spyder but if they steal it, I will worry about that when/if it happens. I may do the panel trick next time I check the oil.

You gentlemen mention cloning your keys...can a locksmith program the chip for a 2014? Me thinks BRP over engineered the ignition system....just expensive overkill!

As my dealer, Coyote Powersprots, is less than two miles from me, I will drop in and talk keys with the owner. He is a friend of mine and I will see what he can actually do on a '14.

p.s. When I got my '14 there was a spare key insert in a little bag....not sure what that is for? Did you '14s get that too...?

Last edited by Mr. White; 11-20-2014 at 09:41 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    I know replacement keys are a pain. On my Wing, I have a spare key wired behind an easily removed panel. Right now, I have my spare in the "glove compartment" where I can get to it. Not smart....perhaps, but if I am 100 miles from the house, it would do me no good if kept there. I think most thieves are not familiar with the Spyder but if they steal it, I will worry about that when/if it happens. I may do the panel trick next time I check the oil.

You gentlemen mention cloning your keys...can a locksmith program the chip for a 2014? Me thinks BRP over engineered the ignition system....just expensive overkill!

As my dealer, Coyote Powersprots, is less than two miles from me, I will drop in and talk keys with the owner. He is a friend of mine and I will see what he can actually do on a '14.

p.s. When I got my '14 there was a spare key insert in a little bag....not sure what that is for? Did you '14s get that too...?

So far no one has reported cloning a 2014 key. The transponder has changed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    If you are talking about an extra lock cylinder that the key will fit, that has always come with an RT. In case you ever buy a BRP trailer, you can use that cylinder in the trailer and it will be keyed the same as the bike.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far no one has reported cloning a 2014 key. The transponder has changed.
    It now takes a trip to the dealer with your bike, and ALL of the keys; if you want to get a replacement made...
    No more cloning keys...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    ...This would have never happened if this was a normal key that you could attach a keyring too, Unless BRP wants you to lose them so you pay up.
    BRP supplies the key sleeve which does attach to a key ring. I know many people don't like it, but it does work. There are also those who have attached a hidden cable to the frunk locking mechanism that allows them to open the frunk without a key. I've even heard that some folks keep a spare key hidden in the frunk after attaching that hidden cable release.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You CAN drill the keys, and put a key ring through them...
    But you have to know exactly where to make the hole!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It now takes a trip to the dealer with your bike, and ALL of the keys; if you want to get a replacement made...
    No more cloning keys...
    From what I have read in theory that is not true. To clone a 2014 key you need to get the correct clonable transponder chip and a key blank you can put the chip into. Then you take the Spyder and 1 working key to a locksmith with the correct cloning machine. Not the same machine as for 2013 and earlier key. The locksmith will read your working key in the cloning machine. Then will use a different device to listen in to the data while the ignition switch is turned on and off several times on your Spyder. Then the locksmith will take that device and put it in the cloning machine and read it. Then the blank key will be put in the cloning machine and made into a clone and repeat for as many clone keys as you want.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that you're right; I have yet to see it work successfully...

Spyder Garage

I hope that you're right; I have yet to see it work successfully...
    I don't think anyone has tried yet.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We need a guinea pig...

Spyder Garage

We need a guinea pig...
    Yes. I don't have a 2014 so it's not me!!!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got an easy solution for that: consult your dealer about a GREAT deal on a leftover 2014!!