Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RS SM5 - Can not shift in reverse anymore

Won't shift down to reverse anymore. Yes, I'm pushing the left hand button.

I saw something about the F7 fuse on 2012-prior models. I have a "Left" and "Right" fuse panel on my 2014. I checked both F7 fuses, both are good. None of the fuses say anything about Reverse. There is a Reverse Actuator RELAY on the left panel, but I hear it clicking when I push the Reverse button, so doesn't sound like it's an electrical problem.

Just won't shift down to Reverse for some reason. The shift pedal is rock hard when down in first, not budging the slightest bit to reverse. All other gears are fine. I'm pushing the Reverse button until I hear the relay click, I'm holding the clutch lever fully down, I'm holding the brake pedal down, I've tried it both with and without the p-brake on. Never had this much trouble before.
    2014 RS SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

if its the sm5 the cable may be out of adjustment. Mine came off the support bracked once and I could not get into reverse. Now mine has a reverse lever you pull down dob't know about any button unless it is an se5....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My cable came loose from the holder on the bottom left hand side of the bike once. It was an easy fix if a person knows where to look.
    My 2011 RSS SM5 Mods all self installed: Spyder Detailing Graphics, Madstad, Kewlmetal risers, Rivco Driver Floorboards, Evoluzione Sway Bar, 25" Touring Windshield, 2010 RT Shocks, Hindle Exhaust, Isci Handbrake, Kurakyn Grips , Rivco Passenger Floorboards, Tricled fender tips and fender lights. Rivco license plate flag holder. BRP backrest. ESI tail light lens.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    dob't know about any button unless it is an se5....
    Yep, SM5. Might be new for 2013:

reverse button.jpg
    2014 RS SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

All SM5s have the reverse button. Two things to check, the cable as mentioned above and the shift lever itself. It may have come loose. If none of those, it's internal to the transmission.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Happened to a friend that had a 2011 RT SM5 at the time.

Turns out it was the connection to the solenoid at the tranny end that had gone bad.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Where's this cable? The foot shift lever is a shaft that goes straight into the trans casing. The actuation system seems to be solely electronic.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Happened to a friend that had a 2011 RT SM5 at the time.

Turns out it was the connection to the solenoid at the tranny end that had gone bad.
    Is this an internal or external solenoid?
    2014 RS SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

Not trying to insult u. But are you in 1st gear, holding down on reverse button while putting pressure down on the shift lever Easy to forget a step

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

on the RS 2012 sm5 the reverse lever operates a cable leading down to the left side by the oil filter cover to an actuating lever. If the newer models are electrically operated I would assume it would be to this same lever via a selonoid rod or cable. Check in that area...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Not trying to insult u. But are you in 1st gear, holding down on reverse button while putting pressure down on the shift lever Easy to forget a step
    Yep. Like I said, the foot lever is hard as a rock trying to go downward from 1st gear even though I hear the Reverse Actuator relay clicking. There's probably something not working between the RA relay and the solenoid that unlocks the reverse gear. I'll have to take off some more panels to look, everything is very tight in there.
    2014 RS SM5 Black

Spyder Garage

The 13 and 14s are electric down to a solenoid and then a rod to the transmission, pull the side cover and check to see if it moves when you push the button.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

Bones,
    Keep us posted and let us know what u find

Spyder Garage

BonesDT,

Did you you ever get this fixed!

If so what was the problem?
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 sm5 and have had minor problems twice once from low battery bike started but did not have enough to drive the electric actuator ,and the first time the actuator was not working ,put a new one on and it did the same thing so pulled the buttons apart and sprayed with electrical spay and that fixed it .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDT View Post
    Won't shift down to reverse anymore. Yes, I'm pushing the left hand button.

I saw something about the F7 fuse on 2012-prior models. I have a "Left" and "Right" fuse panel on my 2014. I checked both F7 fuses, both are good. None of the fuses say anything about Reverse. There is a Reverse Actuator RELAY on the left panel, but I hear it clicking when I push the Reverse button, so doesn't sound like it's an electrical problem.

Just won't shift down to Reverse for some reason. The shift pedal is rock hard when down in first, not budging the slightest bit to reverse. All other gears are fine. I'm pushing the Reverse button until I hear the relay click, I'm holding the clutch lever fully down, I'm holding the brake pedal down, I've tried it both with and without the p-brake on. Never had this much trouble before.
    It's under warranty have the dealer tech. fix it.
    Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default gears?

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if its the sm5 the cable may be out of adjustment. Mine came off the support bracked once and I could not get into reverse. Now mine has a reverse lever you pull down dob't know about any button unless it is an se5....

What does that mean when it in reverse and will not shift into drive?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Still haven't fixed it. I've determined something is wrong at the solenoid. The reverse release button on the left handlebar works as I hear the relay under the frunk click. The solenoid that pulls the cable near the shift lever doesn't move though. The wires seem to be connected. If I manually pull the cable, I can then shift into reverse.

Been meaning to ride to the dealership to fix under warranty, it's just too damn cold right now.
    2014 RS SM5 Black