Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

BTW, the quality of the HD apparel is tops - I buy ALL my riding apparel at my local HD dealer....

If you take a single example: the backrest for the RT at roughly $500, and compare it to the backrest from Corbin, Bike Specialties, and others at $200 to $300, you can see the point. I know that tooling for unique parts is high, and the required engineering is more. The competition makes parts that fit more than one bike, and just add/change parts needed to fit the Spyder. That approach could be adapted by BRP, but they do not seem to want the volume sales.

Accounting says you spread the up front costs over the expected sales volume to the material costs, and add 20%. The argument is lower prices mean higher volume, and you get to the same point at Quarterly reporting time... Something doesn't seem to match up at BRP...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    BRP isn't the only player using Asian/Third World suppliers for clothing & accessories. I've bought quite a few Victory clothing items at my dealer and they're all made in China or Vietnam or some other third world source. Harley Davidson is probably the all time king of this type of marketing. Anymore these days it's becoming the way business is done period. Outsourcing has pretty much left much of the USA with tens of thousands of shuttered factories and millions of displaced workers either jobless or working for lower pay. I'll just let it go at that and avoid any kind of arguments.
    I agree, and it is very sad. One of the reason I go out of my way and will pay a bit more to find something made in Canada or the U.S. Although it is not always easy these days!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    I agree, and it is very sad. One of the reason I go out of my way and will pay a bit more to find something made in Canada or the U.S. Although it is not always easy these days!
    I Agree but more often than not companies will outsource and still overcharge.. The $500+ backrest is over the top silly and I'm far from alone in thinking that..

Spyder Garage

Default This Modern Marketing Thing

Don't get me wrong as I'm still enthused by the new Spyder F3, just somewhat disappointed with the accessory prices. This goes for all other brands of powersports as well. I guess is just is what it is and we live with/deal with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    BRP isn't the only player using Asian/Third World suppliers for clothing & accessories. I've bought quite a few Victory clothing items at my dealer and they're all made in China or Vietnam or some other third world source. Harley Davidson is probably the all time king of this type of marketing. Anymore these days it's becoming the way business is done period. Outsourcing has pretty much left much of the USA with tens of thousands of shuttered factories and millions of displaced workers either jobless or working for lower pay. I'll just let it go at that and avoid any kind of arguments.
    You'll get no arguments from me! I'm in the UK and for decades now goods manufactured in third world countries have been equal in quality and much lower in price than most of our traditional home-produced items. I long ago ceased to be surprised at the increasing number of items in my home which had a "Made in China" label. For decades China has been single-minded about lifting its billions of people out of a subsistence economy to where it is today, namely the second largest economic power on the planet. It's difficult to give a disparaging "third world" label to a country with a manned space flight program and the ability to successfully land an automated rover/sampler on the moon. The day is fast approaching when "Made in China" will carry with it a certain kudos... Not yet, maybe, but soon.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Geoff...
    Good to see that you're back; you've been missed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Geoff...
    Good to see that you're back; you've been missed!
    Thanks, Bob, I appreciate that. To be missed by a member of the NRA is a lucky break...

You've used a variety of interesting and amusing avatars over the years. I trust Alfred E Neumann's portrait as a bum doesn't reflect the depleted circumstances of anyone in particular?

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's how I feel after I lost my computer...

With ALL of my pictures reference materials, jokes, and addresses of my friends!

Oh! And all of the office files too!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=OJ UK;900815]It depends on why you're buying a trike in the first place.

If like me you're a 'dyed in the wool' biker who can no longer safely ride a big bike then a trike is very high on your list of priorities.
    On the other hand if buying a trike is merely an addition to your 'toys' then, perhaps, the importance of having one in your garage is somewhat less.

In the UK I can buy a small but well appointed new car for less than what a Spyder costs and it would be cheaper to run and maintain but
    I have to own a bike and until I can't swing a over one that's how it will be.

The price of the F3-S over here is a little under $30k (£18,400) and I'm in no way a wealthy person so it represents a HUGE expenditure for me.
    I lose around 10% of that figure the moment I start it for the first time (tax+depreciation). I don't have any family though so I only have to worry about
    me.

The Spyder is a luxury vehicle and no-one actually needs one any more than anyone needs a Ferrari!
    Very few people have one as their sole mode of transport, thus BRP are catering to a niche market and can charge as much as people
    are willing to pay and at that point value goes out of the window.
    There are really no alternatives. As den1953 said comparing an HD or in fact any converted bike to a Spyder is 'apples and oranges'.[/QUOTE hear, hear him.

Spyder Garage

As long as people buy them, why would they lower the price? And I'm betting most still will buy the accessories even though they don't like the price. And not "liking" the price won't change a thing. It's not buying that does that.

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

my moms high priced 2014 Mercedes S550 has a $400 oil change every 10K. You pay to play! apples to oranges, but pretty much the same concept. My mom doesn't need a $130k car just like I don't need a $30K trike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you bought only the things you need....... would not have anything you wanted....

Spyder Garage

first i didn't read all the posts, but i did skim trough them. now i am not a rich man but the way i look at it is, you either want the bike or you don't. BRP has a product that you like, so you shop around for the best price at dealers in your area and pick the best price. you need to spend money for what you want. BUT what i feel BRP does wrong, and it is another way for them to make money, is to not send the bike with what extras you ordered. between the two spyders i ordered i have extra windshields and seats because what i wanted had to be ordered and installed by the dealer. if you order a car it comes with the extras you want but with bikes it's all extra and you end up with extra parts. my dealer installed my extras for free but why not just send it that way.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    If you bought only the things you need....... would not have anything you wanted....
    It would be a "Perfectly Adequate" World...

...Leaving all of us wanting a heckuva lot more!

Spyder Garage

When you order a Dell computer you get credit for what comes "stock" on the model and only pay the difference of the upgrade.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    You'll get no arguments from me! I'm in the UK and for decades now goods manufactured in third world countries have been equal in quality and much lower in price than most of our traditional home-produced items. I long ago ceased to be surprised at the increasing number of items in my home which had a "Made in China" label. For decades China has been single-minded about lifting its billions of people out of a subsistence economy to where it is today, namely the second largest economic power on the planet. It's difficult to give a disparaging "third world" label to a country with a manned space flight program and the ability to successfully land an automated rover/sampler on the moon. The day is fast approaching when "Made in China" will carry with it a certain kudos... Not yet, maybe, but soon.
    I guess it is easy to do, when you have no labour laws or environmental laws/issues you have to follow! Personally I would still much rather buy something made in the good old USA/Canada!! JMHO.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default connecting rods

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    BRP can sell the added accessories for the F3S at a reasonable price. Take a look at the price for the UFit for the brake and gear shifter, now these are priced correctly, so come on and price the rest of the accessories accordingly.

Spyder Garage

Default Polaris Indian Scout

I priced the accessories necessary to make the new Indian Scout more touring friendly, things like passenger pillion pad, sissybar & passenger backrest. passenger pegs, a windshield and leather saddlebags. The total came to $2299.94 USD. This was for a bike that MSRPs for $11,299 in a red color. Those saddlebags alone were $999.99 so BRP isn't the only one selling accessories for a high price.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    first i didn't read all the posts, but i did skim trough them. now i am not a rich man but the way i look at it is, you either want the bike or you don't. BRP has a product that you like, so you shop around for the best price at dealers in your area and pick the best price. you need to spend money for what you want. BUT what i feel BRP does wrong, and it is another way for them to make money, is to not send the bike with what extras you ordered. between the two spyders i ordered i have extra windshields and seats because what i wanted had to be ordered and installed by the dealer. if you order a car it comes with the extras you want but with bikes it's all extra and you end up with extra parts. my dealer installed my extras for free but why not just send it that way.
    I agree whole heartily...but that would cut into their profits big time. I would like them too charge a reasonable fee to upgrade a seat rather then charge full price for a new seat leaving you with original one to get rid of. The dumps are probly filled with oem harley mufflers.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Actually

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBandit View Post
    I was about to mention prices and "China" but you beat me to it. The margins must be huge using China as a manufacturer.
    The Can-Am clothing I have is all made in Vietnam Nam
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the quality is there; I don't care where it comes from.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why should they charge less to people who are going to buy a new model anyway? If you want a discount, wait till the end of the model year. The company no doubt sets their pricing so they get a certain return on investment over the first year, knowing that later in the year the prices will be lower. Over the year, the return evens out to their projected business model.

As to the accessories, I agree that they are too expensive, as are HD's stuff. The thing to do is to make a deal for the machine & accessory parts package with your dealer and try to get anything you want at that time. Buying it later will cost a lot more.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)