Thread: Headlights

Spyder Garage

Default Headlights

I understand that the European Spyders don't have the shutter that the Americans use for dim/bright lights, and use the fog light position for their brights, is that correct? If it is, are there advantages to it? How much work would it be to convert to the Euro system?

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We need some of our European Brethren to step in,with some "enlightenment".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

European low beam pattern is illegal in the US. The US low beam pattern is illegal in Europe.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yeah, well now that we have the lawyers satisfied,

Can one of our european owners enlighten us as to the headlight arrangement on a euro spec spyder? I for one could really care less what the DOT thinks about the situation. I'd like to know the differences and make up my own mind. May not be better at all, but would like to know.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

In europe depending on the country they will drive on different sides of the road. So low beams are designed to have minimal light above the horizon line. That is so that there will not be excessive light in the oncoming drivers eyes no matter the side of the road they are driving on. This is not ideal and is really a compromise. In NA we drive on the right side of the road only. The low beams are designed so that the left side of the beam there is minimal light above the horizon line. Again for the same reason, light in the oncoming drivers eyes. But on the right side of the beam there is a requirement of a lot of light above the horizon line. This is to light up the road farther in front of you, light up road signs and other roadside objects. Australia and Japan have the same requirement as NA except reversed because they drive on the left side of the road.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So if by some quirk of fate, we end up with an Australian or Japanese Spyder; we're all going to think that we need new eyeglass prescriptions!

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So if by some quirk of fate, we end up with an Australian or Japanese Spyder; we're all going to think that we need new eyeglass prescriptions!
    OR you could drive while standing on your head..... like they did on "Top Gear" for the Aussie guys.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I SAW that one!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I SAW that one!
    HI, yes all that is said above is true, I've just replaced my "Dipped Beam" as we call it in the UK with some Halogen Zenon gas filled bulbs. I contacted Can am to ask once if I could import an ST from the States and they said no because of the differences. Any way getting back to the point, on the right hand side we have the dipped beam pointing to the left and slightly down. On the right we have it pointing nearly straight and down. The watts for the bulbs are 65 watts (I think) but when we travel on the European roads in our cars we have to put Yellow stickers on our head lights to stop the glare to on coming traffic.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

you can do it but could be expensive depending on how you do it. If your handy and do your own work some parts for the euro models from cheapcycleparts.com and some rewiring and your ready...or just get the high beam lights and work them off the fogs (if you don't deal with fog much)...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

I posted on this a couple of days ago. Over here (Scotland) my STS lights are next to useless on dip because the fog light positioning is a cost saving compromise and nothing more. Certainly not worth doing yourselves. I'm probably going to do Cambello's option of Halogen Zenon bulbs and may add some extra spots too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you ever find any aiming adjustments, to be possible?