Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Down........and Out!

A year ago I bought a '12 RS SM5. After enjoying it for several months (when my daughter would let me) I gave it to her for a graduation-from-college present. She loved her "Spydie", and had no trouble making the transition from 2-wheels to 3. But unfortunately, one moment of inattentiveness and a partially obscured stop sign at a 4-way stop intersection has led to Spydie's premature demise.

The good news, and really the ONLY thing that matters is that my daughter escaped practically unharmed: no broken bones, no road rash, not a scratch. Just a couple of "bumps" on her knees and one foot. She was in full gear; full face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, heavy jeans, and boots. Although she went over the handlebars on the glancing collision with the car, her head never hit the pavement. We couldn't find even a scratch on her helment! Her boots suffered the most damage, but did their job.

The insurance company (Progressive) initially planned to repair the , but after further inspection by my dealer revealed more damage, they decided to total it. We'll probably replace it with another RS (my daughter's preference), but it won't be until next year. That gives me time to try to talk her into an F3!

As a side note, I'm not sure what it's like in other areas, but if you have the misfortune to be involved in an accident in Philadelphia, do all you can to take care of your own tow or transport of your damaged vehicle. I was more than an hour away when the accident happened, and by the time my daughter could contact me and I could get there, the had already been picked up and towed to a repair shop only 4.4 miles from the scene. Progressive was able to send someone to the shop the following day and we made arrangements to have it towed to my dealer 25 miles away. However, the repair shop stalled on producing an invoice for the initial tow and storage, so it took Progressive a couple more days to issue payment and have the bike released. The bottom line; for the initial tow, 3-4 days storage, and "other assorted shop fees", the charge was more than $1100.00!!! Maybe this partially explains the high insurance rates in this area!

Although this whole process isn't completely over, we're grateful and very blessed because it could have been much worse.

Be careful out there, Piano Man! (Hill Street Blues reference for those old enough to remember)
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Spyders can be replaced, people can't! I'm glad to hear there's a happy ending to this story.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

truely glad your daughter is fine. Glad she was on a roadster and in the right gear. Sorry to hear about the expense. It is a shame they take advantage of others misfortune. Good luck and you both be safe out there..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default The Good news

She is ok .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bikes can be replaced; loved ones cannot.
    I'm glad to hear that she is okay, and already thinking abut her next ride.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are so right that your daughter's well-being is the only thing that mattered, and I'm glad she's OK.

[I thought it was "Pizza Man"! ]
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad your daughter is alright!As stated above bikes can be replaced, people can't! I am sure her gear help minimize the damage!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Correcto

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    You are so right that your daughter's well-being is the only thing that mattered, and I'm glad she's OK.

[I thought it was "Pizza Man"! ]
    Patti, you're right......on both counts! I guess my memory isn't as good as I remember! Thanks!
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S

[img]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your daughter is okay. Towing is a real racket some places!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT SURPRISED ABOUT YOUR BILL AT ALL

Very glad to hear your Daughters OK........Coming home from 2014 Spyderfest We hit the Pole at the PA. Trn Pike toll booth......It cost me $225 to tow the trailer 75 ft ........Not to much of a Rip-off .......JMHO....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Your daughter is fine!! Great news. F3?....If she enjoyed the RS she'll love riding the F3 but it may not be 'pretty' enough for her.

Spyder Garage

I think she'll go for the F3 if you can get her on a demo ride. Glad she wasn't hurt any worse.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Nice to hear that your daughter is ok, your spyder can be replaced, you can not replace your loved ones. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad she is OK!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the outcome was mostly good. The more accidents I hear about, the more happier I am that we have instead of two wheels.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm really happy to hear your daughter is OK . . . that is what is important! My insurance company (GEICO) has always asked me where I wanted the vehicle taken . . . I guess I should be glad of that . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

on the daughter being ok!! sorry about spydie, but that can be replaced!!

Spyder Garage

If that is not a testimonial to wearing all the protective gear, even on a Spyder, then nothing is.

If I had a young son or daughter who rode a motorcycle or a trike, I'd make sure they wore it too! As for me..... well, unfortunately old habits die hard. I'm glad the incident didn't discourage her from continuing to ride. She sounds like a spirited, but very sensible, young lady. I'm so glad to hear that she is OK.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your concern and well wishes for my daughter. She's anxious to get back in the saddle, but with changing weather and the demands of her first semester of vet school, she's willing to wait until spring to get another spyder.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S

[img]

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted on which spyder your daughter decides to get/ purchase. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear she is ok, I must admit stories like this are a big part of my giving up 2 wheels and making the move to the spyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hut1 View Post
    A year ago I bought a '12 RS SM5. After enjoying it for several months (when my daughter would let me) I gave it to her for a graduation-from-college present. She loved her "Spydie", and had no trouble making the transition from 2-wheels to 3. But unfortunately, one moment of inattentiveness and a partially obscured stop sign at a 4-way stop intersection has led to Spydie's premature demise.

The good news, and really the ONLY thing that matters is that my daughter escaped practically unharmed: no broken bones, no road rash, not a scratch. Just a couple of "bumps" on her knees and one foot. She was in full gear; full face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, heavy jeans, and boots. Although she went over the handlebars on the glancing collision with the car, her head never hit the pavement. We couldn't find even a scratch on her helment! Her boots suffered the most damage, but did their job.

The insurance company (Progressive) initially planned to repair the , but after further inspection by my dealer revealed more damage, they decided to total it. We'll probably replace it with another RS (my daughter's preference), but it won't be until next year. That gives me time to try to talk her into an F3!

As a side note, I'm not sure what it's like in other areas, but if you have the misfortune to be involved in an accident in Philadelphia, do all you can to take care of your own tow or transport of your damaged vehicle. I was more than an hour away when the accident happened, and by the time my daughter could contact me and I could get there, the had already been picked up and towed to a repair shop only 4.4 miles from the scene. Progressive was able to send someone to the shop the following day and we made arrangements to have it towed to my dealer 25 miles away. However, the repair shop stalled on producing an invoice for the initial tow and storage, so it took Progressive a couple more days to issue payment and have the bike released. The bottom line; for the initial tow, 3-4 days storage, and "other assorted shop fees", the charge was more than $1100.00!!! Maybe this partially explains the high insurance rates in this area!

Although this whole process isn't completely over, we're grateful and very blessed because it could have been much worse.

Be careful out there, Piano Man! (Hill Street Blues reference for those old enough to remember)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Red face thanks for the heads up!

So sorry about the fatal blow to your daughter's ride but I am very happy that she is well and wants to ride again! I just bought my first spider late this summer and had no concept of towing charges plus the realization that dealerships for authorized service are so few and far away. I consider myself informed, thanks so very much!