Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake light switch

I have had the brake light switch replaced 3 times now. It goes into limp mode and the brake light is out. It's in the shop now for the 3rd replacement at just under 15,000 miles. The first switch was replaced, because the brake light was staying on. The last two are being replaced, because the brake light would not come on. It seems to be caused by small grain of sand getting under the activator. I have a 2013 STL.
    Has anyone else had this problem? What was the remedy?

Spyder Garage

Default Seems like..!!

there have been a few problem about these switches. You seem to get more than your share of road grime in your swithes. Find a way to cover the switch or find a better switch. It does seem the others had them replaced and things were fine from then on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This seems to be a common issue with my bike as well. The first time it went in, they just cleaned it out but I don't think they put much detail into it since the light had issues 2 weeks later. The 2nd time it was in, they completely took it apart, cleaned and completed installed it back. They ensured me it was installed like it was brand new. So far no issues and it's been 2 months.

Either way, make sure you keep records of every repair order on it for BRP purposes.

Spyder Garage

mine will be going in for the third time for this. mine sticks on. and I am always riding with my foot under it lifting so my light doesn't stay on. 2013 st.s

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes mine was sticking the mechanic cleaned and lubricated it and it still sticks on occasion so I just pull up
    the pedal with my toe once in a while in stop and go traffic or I know if my cruise won't set that it is stuck. My wife will let me know if its on as she rides behind me on her RT
    My dealer ordered a new one for me but I can't see replacing it cause it sounds like even the new ones aren't sealed any better.

Spyder Garage

Crud on the actuator part of the switch can cause the problem. Switch does not close and thinks you are riding the brake. Result can be limp mode.

Do you drive on a lot of gravel roads?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A bit of protection over the switch might be all that is needed...
    Just be careful playing up under there; a lot of components in that vicinity don't take well to abuse!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now that riding season is pretty much over I think I will take it to the dealer and have them replace it on warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    mine will be going in for the third time for this. mine sticks on. and I am always riding with my foot under it lifting so my light doesn't stay on. 2013 st.s
    I would check your lemon laws for your state. I know in Texas, if it goes in for the 4th time, you get the bike replaced with a brand new one if it has under 12k miles.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Another suggestion

I, as many of you have had the brake switch stick on and it stuck me twice as it stuck on when I was off the bike. What has worked for me is to periodically slide my foot off to the side when letting my foot off the brake. This makes the pedal snap up and at least for me keeps the switch clean/working. I haven't had any failures since I started doing this. I don't do it all the time, just now and then and that is all it seems to take.

BTW, without any fight from BRP, my dealer got new panels for my '13 STL and no more hot leg and gas smell. Hooray!!!

Spyder Garage

Mine was sticking from day one. I took it in and dealer did a BRP mod and it seemed to fix it. I have noticed that when i first get on the bike, it will stay on for a second or two. Lools like i'll take it back and have them do some more trouble shooting. Putting your foot under the pedal and letting it snap back is something we shouldn't have to do. BRP should find a remedy...it's a stinking brake switch not the space shuttle.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have to agree how hard is it to make a sealed switch
    Maybe all of us 2013 owners need some of those ceramic tiles like they use on the space shuttle to replace the tupper ware

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Same Issue

Well Yesterday the bike was in for the 3rd time this time the switch was replaced with a new one. Just over 4k miles on it and have had to jump it a few times thanks to the Brake light staying on and forgetting to check it.