Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default new experince for a long time rider

I recently bought a Spyder RT and was farkling it and wanted to get a fuel door cover from Ultimate Seats which they show installed in one of their custom seats in their lineup of products on the internet. The young lady answening the phone informed me that they dont sell the fuel door cover separately and when I asked where they sourced theirs from she said they dont give out that information. I thought that was rather chincy and the more I think about it the more I am convinced that I would rather sit on a bed of thumbtacks before I bought one of their seats. Just sayin
    Andy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    I recently bought a Spyder RT and was farkling it and wanted to get a fuel door cover from Ultimate Seats which they show installed in one of their custom seats in their lineup of products on the internet. The young lady answening the phone informed me that they dont sell the fuel door cover separately and when I asked where they sourced theirs from she said they dont give out that information. I thought that was rather chincy and the more I think about it the more I am convinced that I would rather sit on a bed of thumbtacks before I bought one of their seats. Just sayin
    Andy
    If I walked into Apple and asked who made their screens for them, I wouldn't expect an answer either. Part of the value of what a business provides is sourcing and providing their product, and part of the value of that product is in the features they offer. They may have worked very hard to source that part, and may prefer that their competition can't also offer the same feature.

Most businesses don't share information about who they wholesale their products from, and in many cases the wholesalers aren't set up to deal with consumers interested in retail orders. Providing that information might even upset some vendors.

I agree that it would be great info to have, but it isn't reasonable to expect a business to share what is really proprietary information with a stranger who is on the other end of the phone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry Andy, but I've got to agree with MRH. Maybe the lady could have been friendlier but I wouldn't expect them to give you that info either. There have been some who have fashioned their own fuel doors, SethO comes to mind, but they weren't pretty.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Know how you feel...

but they are right and I think you know it. You can get the doors at any auto parts in many shapes and sizes. Installing them can be tricky but doable. There are some that have done them here you could search out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can find them at Auto Zone

Andy

Spyder Garage

Default new experince for a long time rider

If you can't find one @ AutoZone you certainly will find one on Google.

KYSPYDER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    You can find them at Auto Zone
    Now comes the scary part ... taking a saw to the seat!! Good luck; we'll want to see the glorious results!

And if you haven't sat on an Ultimate Seat; you don't know what you're missing!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-31-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Andy
    Andy:

I believe you are wrong.

I run a small company and have source agreements with several vendors. If someone called me and asked where I buy a specific component from I would tell them it is none of their business.

That is confidential information and will remain confidential.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At least Dave found him a source for the fuel door...

Spyder Garage

The posters have it covered. I like fuel doors, but am not mechanical enough to install my own. Bought a Corbin seat with fuel door for my 2008 and 2010. Have learned to live without on the 2011 and 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I keep looking at them...
    Too scared to tackle the project!

Spyder Garage

I found this in a very quick search.

http://www.carid.com/2000-ford-excur...2vIaAqF-8P8HAQ
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seats Customer Service

Andy
    Andy,
    It is never our intention to leave a bad taste in a customer's mouth. It's just company policy that we don't disclose where we source any of our parts. I've read a few more of the comments from other board members down the line, and whereas the mentioned company isn't where we source our fuel doors, I'm sure they or another auto parts store should be able to supply you with what you need. Again, it's just company policy and nothing personal was meant by it.

Best regards,

Dave
    www.ultimateseats.com
    877-672-0288
    348 Destination Daytona Lane
    Ormond Beach, FL 32174

Spyder Garage

I think it was completely out of line for the guy to ask that question in the first place. He may very well have been asking the girl to risk her job on his behalf. I worked as an engineer for the automotive industry for most of my career and non-disclosure agreements between employee and employer in that industry were the norm. You could get fired without further discussion if you even accidentally disclosed proprietary sourcing information.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I keep looking at them...
    Too scared to tackle the project!
    I'm with you exactly. It would not be good for my constitution to muck up my new Comfort Seat. OTOH, justification for adding one just isn't there as my bride likes the fueling time to stretch -- off the Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm just trying to talk the Missus into running the hole-saw...
    (I've already got "the Ultimate" picked out! )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Seats View Post
    Andy,
    It is never our intention to leave a bad taste in a customer's mouth. It's just company policy that we don't disclose where we source any of our parts. I've read a few more of the comments from other board members down the line, and whereas the mentioned company isn't where we source our fuel doors, I'm sure they or another auto parts store should be able to supply you with what you need. Again, it's just company policy and nothing personal was meant by it.

Best regards,

Dave
    your taking this time certainly seems customer friendly to me
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I am not surprised that you wouldn't tell them where to get your parts, it would be like going to a steak house and asking where they buy their steaks.

Spyder Garage

Default sourcing parts

I have marched to a different drummer all of my working life, in the medical field knowledge is shared willingly. The doc who devises a new procedure or finds a new way of treating a given condition shares his knowledge and teaches others, writes it up in the journals and doesnt hide his new found discovery and calls it proprietary. Members on this forum share their knowledge and where to find tires and other farkles and how to solve problems common to the BRP vehicles so I found it reasonable to ask where I could find the fuel cover door pictured on the Ultimate website. I never worked for a large company that manufactures stuff and hides their techniques and has industrial secrets, so I never thought that sourcing a relatively common item, like a fuel door cover would be such a highly guarded secret. I had googled fuel door covers before I called Ultimate and thought it would save me from reinventing the wheel since they already found one that was the right fit for the Spyder. Guess again! I went around to several parts stores until I found one that seemed about the right size and I will post a picture once I get it installed and find how to post pictures on this forum.
    Andy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Andy,
    Sometimes; our perspective can narrow our viewpoint...
    The Medical field is a completely different "animal"; no doubt about that!
    I'm always watching for breakthroughs in the inulin pump/blood glucose monitoring.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think yall are forgetting that Andy called to buy a fuel door from them... its their right not to sell if they see fit.. but after all he might have been a customer if he was treated kindly...
    and there is almost NOTHING on this earth that is an ABSOLUTE EXCLUSIVE.. someone else makes it.. it just might be something for vendors to keep in mind...

osm

Spyder Garage

If you need a part for a component on an automobile that is only sold as a fully assembled component do you really expect that they will tell you where they purchase that part from?

Sure knowledge of how to do something is shared freely in many fields. To put this back in the medical field, yes, you can find reports on how new and improved procedures are done. But try calling one of the pharmaceutical companies and asking them how to produce one of their newest medicines. I'm pretty sure that you will find that there is proprietary information at work there as well.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I doubt we could walk into a Kentucky Fried Chicken, compliment the flavor, and get the ingredients and amounts they use for their "11 herbs and spices" . . . as for folks sharing information, here, that is a very different situation than a business giving out its secrets . . . I have to side with Ultimate Seats on this one. Wish I could afford one!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I have to side with Ultimate Seats on this one. Wish I could afford one!
    I'm saving up for one!