Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Smackdab Summer Solstice Run –*Kansas to North Dakota!

This is not specifically a Spyder ride, but my wife and I will be making the run on our Spyders next summer.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would be fun, but not all in one day! Besides, I plan to be on my way to Chelan Washington for the North to Alaska ryde at that time.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    That would be fun, but not all in one day! Besides, I plan to be on my way to Chelan Washington for the North to Alaska ryde at that time.
    You will be hitting the state when we have 100 % of daylight. It will get a bit "dusky" around 3:00 AM but will not get completely dark--then it will start getting lighter. Blindfolds, if you cannot sleep without darkness.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just bumping this. It's three months from today, and it looks like two Spyders and 7-10 motorcycles so far. Would love to have a couple other three-wheelers join us.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm from Lawrence Ks and I think this would be fun. Gonna try to get this on the calendar.

Scott

Spyder Garage

Default I'd do this ride

I grew up in Kansas and used to live in Colorado. If I still lived in either, this would be a fun ride. One of my "bucket list" rides is to follow the Oregon Trail from KC to Portland, OR. Maybe when I retire in a couple of years!

Spyder Garage

I'm checking my work schedule so I can plan for leave. I think we're going to make it!

KS
    KS

Spyder Garage

Default PATCHES HAVE ARRIVED!

I just received a dozen finishers' patches for Smackdab participants. A big up to Lynn Lees here on Spyderlovers for doing the work. Thanks to having NO art setup fee and NO minimum quantity, they were the lowest price we were able to find for such a small run. And, as you can see, they turned out great!

Spyder Garage

Default Ready or not....

Woo Hoo, the hours are flying fast before we head out on the adventure of the year! I'm getting my oil changed tomorrow and everything checked out. Our plan is to leave early in the morning Friday for Smith's Corner.Saturday will be a busy day for sure but then we'll rest on Sunday at Rugby. Maybe even a little ride up to Canada on Sunday. Monday head for home and stop about the 500 milemark. Tuesday, complete the ride home to outside KC.

Kansas Spyder
    KS

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I visit Lebanon frequently, and this sounds like a fun ride. I am going to try to make it. I feel it appropriate to
    remind folks of the "Bambi Danger" around here , especially around dawn and dusk. Please be wary.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Just saw this one. Might have to add it to the list for next year. Looks like you might get wet in SD. Rain predicted for Sat. Hok on your way through Sioux Falls.

We did something similar on pedal bikes a few years ago...110 miles through the Black Hills and went North to South. That is an all day ride too through some beautiful areas. They did that one on the weekend of the Summer Solstice. But alas, they have ended it as there isn't anyone too coordinate it anymore.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Weather Forecast for Saturday, June 20th

Ride forecast as of 5PM, 6/17

Location.........Hi - Lo - Precip
    Lebanon KS.......97 - 69 - 0%
    Grand Island NE..91 - 66 - 10%
    Aberdeen SD......87 - 59 - 20%
    Rugby ND.........79 - 53 - 20%

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 06-17-2015 at 04:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hoping everyone has a great time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In summary, 15 people participated (14 bikes plus one co-rider). Four Spyders made the trip (2012, '13 & '14 RTs, one 2013 RS-S). Everybody arrived well before Sundown, but one rider headed further down the road before the 10PM dusk patch-and-picture ceremony, and 2 speedy riders were already asleep in their hotel room!
    Weather was perfect up until about 8:30 PM, when a brief shower drenched the last 20-30 miles of the route, punishing the last few dawdlers as they rode into town (this included me!)

Spyder Garage

Start and finish photos

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Let's do it again,,,,

Wow, this was a great ride and we made new friends as well. Weather was great and you have to remember that rain is Mother Nature's way of saying you motorcycle gear needs a wash. Rugby was only about 40 miles south of the Canadian border so we strayed over into Canada for some for fun. Roads were a bit rough but the scenery made up for it. The International Peace Garden was great. They had a cactus exhibit that was awesome.

We made it home last night after riding about three hours in heavy rain. The Spyder handled great in the rain and our frog toggs kept us dry. Sue got a little damp from the spray kicked off the front tires but overall we stayed dry.

Our final mileage was about 2500 miles and we averaged 36 mpg riding two up.

Thanks to Tanshonomi for setting this up and we;re looking forward to the next ride!
    KS

Registered Users wanna be a spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Spyder View Post
    We made it home last night after riding about three hours in heavy rain. The Spyder handled great in the rain and our frog toggs kept us dry. Sue got a little damp from the spray kicked off the front tires but overall we stayed dry.
    We got home yesterday afternoon. We came home through this from St. Joseph all the way home. It was like riding in a washing machine for 90 minutes. Fortunately, it was the only bad weather we had, and our own home was waiting at the end of it.

Spyder Garage

The Smackdab Run is set for June 18th. It now has a dedicated website, www.smackdab281.org, and a Facebook group. Please share this with any Midwestern riders/ryders who might be interested. It's a good time.

Spyder Garage

LOTS OF SMACKDAB NEWS:

1) FRIDAY NIGHT COOKOUT
    The American Legion Riders in Smith Center have agreed to host a cookout dinner for Smackdab participants. More details are forthcoming, but they're committed to feeding you guys and giving you a place to congregate the night before the run.

2) NEW FOR 2016! Get your finisher’s patch for HALF PRICE!

A registration page has been added to the Smackdab Website. There is no cost to participate in the Smackdab ride, the only cost is for the finisher’s patch, should you choose to buy one. Also, you can still simply show up and ride. Registration will just help us let the folks in Smith Center and Rugby know how many riders will participate, and to contact riders directly if needed. To encourage you to pre-register, riders who submit their registration anytime before Memorial Day (May 30, 2016) will be eligible to get buy a finisher’s patch for just $5.00 — that's half the regular cost of $10. Patches cost us more over $10 each to have embroidered; the extra cost is being generously subsidized by the Smith County Chamber of Commerce.

You will not be flooded with spam e-mails, and we will not distribute your contact information or contact you for any other purpose.

3) VOLUNTEER RIDE COORDINATOR NEEDED
    Since I have a family conflict and can't make the ride this year, I need to find a participant who's willing to play "Trail Boss" for the ride. This person will simply need to:

• Show up at the departure point by 5:30 AM,
    • Sign riders in,
    • Complete the ride by 9:45 PM,
    • Hand out patch coupons (which I will provide) to finishers in Rugby at dusk. There is no need to collect funds. This year, finishers will use those finisher's coupons to pay for their patch by mail or online via PayPal, and I will mail a patch to them.

Anyone interested should e-mail info@smackdab.org - thanks!

SMACKDAB GROUP ON FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/groups/smackdab281

Spyder Garage

http://www.smackdab281.org

Spyder Garage

There are only a couple of days left to become eligible to get your finisher’s patch at half price ($5, rather than $10). Simply register online at smackdab281.org before the end of May. There is no cost or obligation to pre-register. If you’re not sure yet, pre-register anyway. You have the option of indicating how confident you are (or aren’t) of making the ride. Conversely, registering prior to the ride is not mandatory. It’s simply a way for us to gauge interest, have a way to contact prospective participants.
    Your contact information will never be sold or shared.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 05-26-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderlover Representation

I did my part this year to ensure that a Spyderlover made this years Smackdab Run. Last year, I believe, there were 4 Spyders, out of the 15 that rode. This year, my Spyder was the only one.
    I was joined by a Harley, a Honda, a Kawasaki, and a Yamaha. We stuck together and made the trip as a group. It was fun.

I've been joking to my friends, family, and co-workers that if you want to get away from it all, North Dakota is the place to be. When I say 'all', I mean, ALL. Like buildings, people, food, fuel, shelter, etc... But with enough planning ahead, it was really quite beautiful.

WP_20160618_05_34_48_Pro.jpgWP_20160618_05_36_09_Pro.jpgWP_20160618_06_01_03_Pro_R90.jpgWP_20160618_20_36_04_Pro.jpgWP_20160618_20_42_23_Pro.jpg

These were at the beginning, and at the end. Sorry, I was to busy ryding between them to remember to stop and take pictures along the way.

Out with the old - Blue 2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    In with the new - Black/Silver 2015 RTS SE6
    Special Series
    Blue 2012 RT622 Trailer - now vinyl wrapped as Black/Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the ride report, and for representing the Spyder community on this year's ride!

Spyder Garage

SMACKDAB #3 will be SATURDAY, JUNE 24, 2017.

Yes, we're still 7½ months out, but there's already some activity that should make this coming year's event a slightly grander affair! Rider magazine printed my letter about Smackdab, in which I mentioned the website address. It has triggered a healthy spike in traffic:

Also, I found a couple of new threads discussing the event on other web forums:
    http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...b-16-5-hr-Ride
    http://www.romeoriders.com/forums/vi...hp?f=21&t=4314

All this looks promising for a good turn out this year!