Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire hell sorry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Hi, (I met you at Lamonster BBQ but don't remember your 1st name).
    Sounds like 7" rim is for a 225-50-15 tire.
    (maybe because the stock Kenda rear tire does not have a 4 ply tread is why it balloons a little in center at speed).
    They put a 205-55-15 rear Kumho Solis on RT at BBQ, explaining that reason for a narrower rear tire.
    I have your same Kumho 225-50-15 with 4 ply tread (2 steel, 1 Polyester, 1 ply Nylon) on rear of 2014 RT, but like you mentioned before, I am also able to spin the rear tire more frequent now with 6,000 miles on it; but it is wearing straight across tread.
    Because of excellent review of Yokohama S. Drive 205-55-15 grip, that will be my next rear tire in a couple of months.
    Interested to hear (finless) Bob's comments when he puts on the rear Yoko.
    Thanks for reply info.
    Jim
    It was nice meeting you at the BBQ.
    I agree the center wear issue with the Kenda appears to be a construction issue. When I first heard the rim theory I did not question it for a couple weeks.
    I like the idea of the Yokohama 205-55-15. Some have report that a 215-60-15 tire will not fit on a RS. If true should not fit on a ST, same fender. The Yoko has a nice thread pattern to clear water.
    Basically my riding season is done so I am not changing the tire until spring. So I will be interested in other peoples experience with it before I order one.

Ron

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Well I already bought my Yokohama tire S Drive 205-55-R15 for $103 shipped to my door. Nice looking tire but I have not mounted it yet.

But if I wanted only the rear Vee rubber tire, how much is just the rear + shipping to Ca.?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Installed my Yokohama S drive tire today. So far first ride I think I am going to love this tire!

Video of the process coming as always

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

I also installed the Yokohama S drive tire a couple of days ago in preparation for my ride to Daytona Beach next week. I had a Arachnid Vee Rubber tire with less than 1000 miles on it and didn't like it because of too much flexing in the sidewalls. When I would make lane changes and turns I noticed the extra movement at the rear of the Spyder. When the Spyder was going straight all was fine.

This tire may be good for a lighter weight Spyder perhaps a RS but not for the 14 RT. When I purchased it I was told it should by fine on my 14 RT but now there is a notice on the web site not made for the 14 RT.

[B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Installed my Yokohama S drive tire today. So far first ride I think I am going to love this tire!

Video of the process coming as always

Bob
    Great timing! I need to buy a pair of these Yokohamas and install on our bikes before we leave for Spyderfest. Look forward to your video!

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I posted the video in a new thread in DIY.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Spyder-Video

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I posted the video in a new thread in DIY.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Spyder-Video

Bob
    OK, I scanned through all of the responses here and on the thread with the video to see if finless had worn out the Yokohama seen in the video mentioned. I bring this up almost 2.5 years later only to ask how long did it last and are you still satisfied it was a good choice? I'm about to replace the rear tire on our 2014 RT Limited and this is part of my research for making a well informed decision.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 11-18-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Hi Bob,
    My next rear tire for 2014 RT-S will be a Yokohama S. Drive 205-55-15.
    It is same size diameter as stock rear tire, 3/4" narrower tread.
    That size there are several real good rear tire choices.
    The 205-55-15 tire was highly recommended by one of the top Spyder dealers.
    He explained the 225-50-15 stock rear tire size is too wide for the rim causing the tire to balloon a little resulting in wear in center of tread.
    (I have been running 225-50-15 size rear Kumho tires for past 2 years with no problems, but Yoko S. Drive is a better tire).

(Thanks for helping Perry with the communication cable RT problem).
    Hope this info helps you.
    Jim
    I am not sure I can agree with the 'Too Wide For The Rim' assessment. I have run both the Toyo R1 and the Falken 912 on my Spyder. Both in the stock size (225/50/15) and both wore perfectly flat across the entire tread area edge to edge.

It's not the tire to rim width that is the problem. It is the OEM tire construction where the tread area is too weak to maintain a flat surface contact area with the pavement. The OEM tires do balloon out (especially at speed). But it's not the rim to tire size that is creating this issue.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    The width problem on the stock tire is the first I have heard about it, but that does make sense, and would cause center ballooning....

I have 7K on my Hydroedge and it is still showing no wear and I have excellent traction. I'll have to watch out as it does wear down enough for it breaking loose.
    I seen it break loose on you about 4 times the other day

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    I seen it break loose on you about 4 times the other day
    You ought to seen me this morning on the way to work out. Had rained overnight, roads nice and slick. Turned the traction control off a until I almost done a 360.....decided to ryde a little more sensible after that.

Spyder Garage

Tires Tires, the Achilles Tendon of the Spyder crowd! Quite happy with the "Kenda's". All four have been great and perform just like a "motorcycle" tire

should. No hydro planing ever. Same mileage as most my motorcycle tires and installed for $180.
    Never could understand why you would want to put Car

tires on a motorcycle against the recommendation of the manufacturer.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Mostly because BRP does not install motorcycle tires on the Spyder. So we look for the best performing tires that are appropriate for the rims and vehicle use. The Spyder is not a motorcycle when it comes to tires and does not come equipped with tires having motorcycle profile beads. They come with automotive profile tires with SAE profile beads. Motorcycle tires will not fit the Spyder rims well at all and would be dangerous.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Never could understand how you can't come to terms with the fact that the OE tire actually IS A CAR TIRE Jack, just downgraded & labelled with a made-up label to try & ensure that no-one actually tries to run it on a car cos it's got such weak construction & poor quality control in its manufacture!!

Sure they'll behave sorta OK if you never demand anything much of them, but at best they are only ever going to be mediocre, the tire carcass construction & lack of quality control ensures that; but those of us who want, ask, & maybe even demand something better than mediocre performance & wear from our tires have no choice but to fit better designed & manufactured car tires that don't try to hide their shortfalls behind a make-believe label that apparently does fool some of the people all the time!

If the rims the Spyders run & that these tires hafta go on were motorcycle rims then we'd probably have a wider range of tire brands & maybe even suitable sizes available to us, & at least some of us would probably fit real motor-cycle tires instead of the Kendas; but the rims are car rims & the only tires that will safely fit are car tires, just like the Kendas only better, so we fit the better & real car tires that are the only safe & legal tires to run on these rims, and funnily enough, have you noticed that there are exceedingly few people who ever think that was a backward step once they've made the change??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    but at best they are only ever going to be mediocre, the tire carcass construction & lack of quality control ensures that; but those of us who want, ask
    Two issues with you comments:

1. I would like to know where your information comes from that says that there is a quality problem with these tires. You need to review what the actual definition of "quality" is. It has nothing to do with expectations of the general public or even of the public likes the product. Strange but true.

2. You are claiming that the carcass is substandard or less than exactly what it is supposed to be. I am guessing but I would expect that this tire is exactly what BRP specified and asked for. If not, Kenda would have to do a lot of explaining to BRP and the tire would have changed within a few inventory cycles.

Spyder Garage

I am running General Altimax RT 43 on the rear ( Size: 215/60R15) which was installed on 6/20/2015. The original Kenda tire was changed @ 5,824 miles, and now have 22,022 miles on the spyder.

I have 16,198 miles on the rear tire,and still have plenty of tread left on the tire.

See "My Album" for pictures of the General Altimax RT 43 tire.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    Two issues with you comments:

1. I would like to know where your information comes from that says that there is a quality problem with these tires. You need to review what the actual definition of "quality" is. It has nothing to do with expectations of the general public or even of the public likes the product. Strange but true.

2. You are claiming that the carcass is substandard or less than exactly what it is supposed to be. I am guessing but I would expect that this tire is exactly what BRP specified and asked for. If not, Kenda would have to do a lot of explaining to BRP and the tire would have changed within a few inventory cycles.
    It all comes down to taking the lowest bid price and that can change by adjusted specs. BRP is very well known for installing crappy parts on their lovely trikes. Compressors, tires, sensors, hoses and so on and so on. If you don't think so you haven't been paying much attention to this web site. Along with all the complaints and problems there are a lot of good folks here offering solutions and cost effective remedies to BRP's crappy parts issues. You ask where your information comes from regarding the quality problem here, the proof lies in the purchase; and it is the general public that passes judgment on an item whether it's a quality item or not. Who else would have the final say?
    Last edited by 2dogs; 11-18-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

I see that I have not replied to this particular thread from 2014.

Tires are a good subject. They come up from time to time. Everyone has a comment. Both experienced riders and new riders.

Well known that most users of the Kenda (also known as Krapenda) prefer something else. The controversy is over the use of "other" tires. BRP says use ONLY OEM--because they are designed specifically for the . Many dealers enforce this policy.

Riders of GW have experienced the same. Many, use "other" tires than recommended. Has there ever been a law suit claiming that "other" tires were the fault of accident X--with either BRP or Honda? Not that I am aware of. It's your money. It's your choice.

That said--I have five different 's over the years. Have racked up almost 140,000 assorted miles--and have installed several tires in the process. My dealer is one of "those." OEM or nothing.

My track record. On all 's. Fronts last me around 20K miles. Rear tires last me 15K plus miles. One exception--2014 RT. They came with a "new" rubber compound. My OEM's rear tires lasted 8,900 miles. Others got as few as 4K miles or so. They brought back the "original" compound and I now have 19K on the current rear. Probably going to change it out in the spring.

That's my story--and I am sticking to it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-18-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Mostly because BRP does not install motorcycle tires on the Spyder. So we look for the best performing tires that are appropriate for the rims and vehicle use. The Spyder is not a motorcycle when it comes to tires and does not come equipped with tires having motorcycle profile beads. They come with automotive profile tires with SAE profile beads. Motorcycle tires will not fit the Spyder rims well at all and would be dangerous.
    We be talking compound here nothing else. Softer rubber with a better grip than a car tire. Mainly due to the small amount of weight on Spyder and

motorcycle tires. Simple i.e. tire mileage or safety.

Not sure about you but my Spyders are registered as a motorcycle as required by state law. I believe it is the same in all states.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Quite happy with the "Kenda's". All four have been great and perform just like a "motorcycle" tire

Jack
    So you have 4 Kenda tyres on your Spyder, Jack? That probably explains why you are so happy with them

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Kendras are junk. Plain and simple. A car tire will give much better protection from road debris, potholes, etc.. The stiffer sidewall will help the tire to wear evenly. The kendras on the rear wear out in the center because they are so soft they balloon at high speed so only the center wears. The front tires do not hold their balance and I could not believe how much smoother with Federals on the front. I will never go back to kendras. Now that my wife is ryding by herself, she will have the safest advantage I can give her.
    We replaced the RT's rear tire (kendra) at 6,000 miles. We replaced it with a Michelin Hydroedge. We now have 48,000 on the RT and are still running the Hydroedge. That's right 42,000 miles and still going strong.
    Since tires are a wearable item, BRP does not want a long lasting tire. They can say what they want, but the dealers make good money on selling kendras and mounting and balancing them.

And if anyone is interrested, I have a pair of kendra take offs from my Daytona with about 5,000 miles on them. Make me an offer.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So you have 4 Kenda tyres on your Spyder, Jack? That probably explains why you are so happy with them

Pete
    I carry a couple in the Frunk and tie extras to my pillion. Can't have to many Kendas! TWASFQ

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Kendras are junk. Plain and simple. A car tire will give much better protection from road debris, potholes, etc.. The stiffer sidewall will help the tire to wear evenly. The kendras on the rear wear out in the center because they are so soft they balloon at high speed so only the center wears. The front tires do not hold their balance and I could not believe how much smoother with Federals on the front. I will never go back to kendras. Now that my wife is ryding by herself, she will have the safest advantage I can give her.
    We replaced the RT's rear tire (kendra) at 6,000 miles. We replaced it with a Michelin Hydroedge. We now have 48,000 on the RT and are still running the Hydroedge. That's right 42,000 miles and still going strong.
    Since tires are a wearable item, BRP does not want a long lasting tire. They can say what they want, but the dealers make good money on selling kendras and mounting and balancing them.

And if anyone is interrested, I have a pair of kendra take offs from my Daytona with about 5,000 miles on them. Make me an offer.....

Good Luck with those Michelin Hydroplanes!

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Good Luck with those Michelin Hydroplanes!

Jack
    Jack, we have 42K on them. Never have had a problem. Not one.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Peteoz;1317271]So you have 4 Kenda tyres on your Spyder, Jack? That probably explains why you are so happy with them

Pete[/QUOT
    ?

What would you Aussie's know about tires anyway? Being underneath the Planet you have to run your tires upside down. Right?

​Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

What would you Aussie's know about tires anyway? Being underneath the Planet you have to run your tires upside down. Right?

​Jack
    It gives a new meaning to having a death grip on the bars, Jack.....no one wants to fall off

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red