Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire hell sorry

Spyder Garage

Default Tire hell sorry

Well..... DARN IT!

I got my Hydroedge a few weeks ago but did not look at it in detail. It's a tire right?

Well turns out because it was like the last one I could find anywhere, it was defective. Clearly had been mounted before and the removed it and put it back in stock
    They did issue a return and gave me my money back.

Now I cannot find another Hydroedge anywhere!!!

So, what the next best tire now? Kumho?

Sorry to ask with yet another tire question

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I have a kuhmo on now. When I first put it on I was very pleased with the performance. At about 6 to 7,000 miles I started to notice it no longer sticks to the road the way I would like. Medium acceleration from a stop light it will break loose on the painted stop line. Accelerating on a left turn in a intersection it will break loose again. The cooler the temps and or older the pavement, the worse it is. Now I have over 10,000 miles on it and it is no where near worn out, but it is simply dangerous to drive in wet conditions. Your experience may vary since your RT is heavier and live in a warmer climate.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Well..... DARN IT!

I got my Hydroedge a few weeks ago but did not look at it in detail. It's a tire right?

Well turns out because it was like the last one I could find anywhere, it was defective. Clearly had been mounted before and the removed it and put it back in stock
    They did issue a return and gave me my money back.

Now I cannot find another Hydroedge anywhere!!!

So, what the next best tire now? Kumho?

Sorry to ask with yet another tire question

Bob
    Hi Bob,
    My next rear tire for 2014 RT-S will be a Yokohama S. Drive 205-55-15.
    It is same size diameter as stock rear tire, 3/4" narrower tread.
    That size there are several real good rear tire choices.
    The 205-55-15 tire was highly recommended by one of the top Spyder dealers.
    He explained the 225-50-15 stock rear tire size is too wide for the rim causing the tire to balloon a little resulting in wear in center of tread.
    (I have been running 225-50-15 size rear Kumho tires for past 2 years with no problems, but Yoko S. Drive is a better tire).

(Thanks for helping Perry with the communication cable RT problem)yokhz2.ang S Drive 205-55-15.jpg.
    Hope this info helps you.
    Jim

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 215/60/15 size works well on my RT.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Hi Bob,
    My next rear tire for 2014 RT-S will be a Yokohama S. Drive 205-55-15.
    It is same size diameter as stock rear tire, 3/4" narrower tread.
    That size there are several real good rear tire choices.
    The 205-55-15 tire was highly recommended by one of the top Spyder dealers.
    He explained the 225-50-15 stock rear tire size is too wide for the rim causing the tire to balloon a little resulting in wear in center of tread.
    (I have been running 225-50-15 size rear Kumho tires for past 2 years with no problems, but Yoko S. Drive is a better tire).

(Thanks for helping Perry with the communication cable RT problem)yokhz2.ang S Drive 205-55-15.jpg.
    Hope this info helps you.
    Jim
    The width problem on the stock tire is the first I have heard about it, but that does make sense, and would cause center ballooning....

I have 7K on my Hydroedge and it is still showing no wear and I have excellent traction. I'll have to watch out as it does wear down enough for it breaking loose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    The width problem on the stock tire is the first I have heard about it, but that does make sense, and would cause center ballooning....

I have 7K on my Hydroedge and it is still showing no wear and I have excellent traction. I'll have to watch out as it does wear down enough for it breaking loose.

Your 215-60-15 Hydroedge rear tire is narrower than stock 225-50-15 rear tire; so should perform well.
    My 2014 RT breaks loose rear Kumho tire with 6,000 miles on, but I think it is my aggressive throttle hand on taking off, ha.
    I see there are 12+ available 215-60-15 tire choices from discount Tire; so even more choices of harder compound tires.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

[I went with the auto tire I don't see mentioned too often, a Maxis. Looks like it will provide at least twice the longevity of the OEM. Seems to stick, drive, and function just fine. 78 bucks plus install.

Spyder Garage

The Michelin Defender is the replacement tire for the HydroEdge. You can go with the 215/60R15 Defender & still get the Michelin level quality you were wanting with the HydroEdge.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a Falken, that I liked until it got worn down pretty far...
    Then; it became a hydroplaning lunatic on steroids!
    It would break loose, on a damp morning!
    I think that I just kept in on the bike about 500 miles too long...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    The Michelin Defender is the replacement tire for the HydroEdge. You can go with the 215/60R15 Defender & still get the Michelin level quality you were wanting with the HydroEdge.
    This is the best choice...

Spyder Garage

Have you looked at the tread pattern of the Defender? Not at all the same and in fact there is no "center" to the tread. Almost like the tire must stay mounted with one side out on the rim.

spin_prod_790899712.jpg
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Have you looked at the tread pattern of the Defender? Not at all the same and in fact there is no "center" to the tread. Almost like the tire must stay mounted with one side out on the rim.

I have them on the front of my RT. Pretty pleased with them so far.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

I have them on the front of my RT. Pretty pleased with them so far.
    I just added an image to my last post. Click it and look.
    Might be great for the front but the rear doesn't seem like a good fit with this odd one sided tread design?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    This theory sounds very logical. The problem I have with it is after running the Kuhmo tire of exactly the same size. It should have exactly the same wear issue, but it does not.

P.S. I just looked it up on Tire Rack and the recommended rim width for a 225-50-15 tire is 6 to 8 in. Since the Spyder rim is 7 in. that is right in the middle of the recommended range.
    Last edited by billybovine; 10-29-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added info

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The 215/60/15 size works well on my RT.
    You running this size Yokohama?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Doc, that Yokohama tire 205-55-R15 looks good!

I am going with it for the rear.

Thanks,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Might be great for the front but the rear doesn't seem like a good fit with this odd one sided tread design?

Bob
    You will have problems if the side to side pattern is different. Was talking about that to the alignment guy and he said that was a big no-no on the rear tire.

Spyder Garage

That sucks Bob!

I put a Kuhmo on 2 months ago and I'm very happy with it.
    Haven't noticed any ride or handling difference at all.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

spin_prod_790899712.jpg

i put one on the rear about a month ago. so far zero problems .. even in the rain

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    i put one on the rear about a month ago. so far zero problems .. even in the rain
    No offense but with a one sided tread pattern like that, no way would I put that on the rear. If the spyder was 4 wheels then yes but a single wheel, I am sorry but I don't think that is a good idea. To me it would seem the rear single tire would want to track to one side due to the non-centered tread pattern?

Maybe a ROLO alignment person can talk to this?

Anyway I am going with the Yokohama. Looks like a super good tire. Would have preferred the Hydroedge but can't get them anymore

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob
    No doubt there is a difference in tread design from inside to outside, which caused me to assume there's also a left side tire and a right side tire. When I researched it, I found they are all the same 'side'. As I know pretty much nothing about tire tread design, I'll have to defer to the manufacturer for that area of expertise.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm running a Michelin Primacy for over 5000 miles with no problems. Size 215/60/15
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    This theory sounds very logical. The problem I have with it is after running the Kuhmo tire of exactly the same size. It should have exactly the same wear issue, but it does not.

P.S. I just looked it up on Tire Rack and the recommended rim width for a 225-50-15 tire is 6 to 8 in. Since the Spyder rim is 7 in. that is right in the middle of the recommended range.
    Hi, (I met you at Lamonster BBQ but don't remember your 1st name).
    Sounds like 7" rim is for a 225-50-15 tire.
    (maybe because the stock Kenda rear tire does not have a 4 ply tread is why it balloons a little in center at speed).
    They put a 205-55-15 rear Kumho Solis on RT at BBQ, explaining that reason for a narrower rear tire.
    I have your same Kumho 225-50-15 with 4 ply tread (2 steel, 1 Polyester, 1 ply Nylon) on rear of 2014 RT, but like you mentioned before, I am also able to spin the rear tire more frequent now with 6,000 miles on it; but it is wearing straight across tread.
    Because of excellent review of Yokohama S. Drive 205-55-15 grip, that will be my next rear tire in a couple of months.
    Interested to hear (finless) Bob's comments when he puts on the rear Yoko.
    Thanks for reply info.
    Jim

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Milage

What is the milage of the Michelin Defender that you are getting?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PRDodds59 View Post
    What is the milage of the Michelin Defender that you are getting?
    I'll have to look when I get home. I don't think there's been much wear to speak of, but I probably only have a few thousand miles on them. Being feeble-minded, I may forget, but will try to remember to get the numbers and post them.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332