Thread: Ticking sound

Spyder Garage

Default Ticking sound

I have a 2009 RS with 29,000 miles on it. Rode yesterday without a helmet for a quick run to the store. I noticed a ticking type sound coming form the front. At first I thought left front wheel bearing, but after further review it seems to be coming from the left side like right behind the oil tank. (I assume it's trans or belt pulley related at this point)

Here are what I have so far......

It happens over 27 MPH only
    Does not change with braking
    Can be heard better with clutch pulled in (bike gets quieter)
    Continues into higher speed, does not seem to get faster or louder.
    Still makes noise even if bike is shut down and allowed to coast (over 27 MPH)

My next thought was to get the rear wheel in the air, block the front wheels and run it to see if I can isolate it better.
    Last edited by BLUEZL600EFI; 10-28-2014 at 06:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default stumped

looks like the gp is stumped. i would look very closely at the belt and both sprockets. maybe a tiny stone embedded in the belt ? hopefully not a loose front sprocket. check that a front wheel weight isn't contacting the cotter pin on the hub. that HAS happened in the past. let us know what you find.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Yeah really surprised with the crew here, lol.
    I have not had time to look at it yet been really busy with work. Hopefully next week.
    Contacted my dealer, their service guy said it sounds like maybe a rear wheel bearing.

I will post up when I get it figured out. If I can make the it happen on the lift I might post a video so you all can hear it too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When we picked up our 2014 RTL, I heard a ticking sound from the front. Drove back to dealer to have them look at it. In 20 min. they had me ready to go again. The ticking noise was an ABS sensor that was too close to the ABS disc on the right wheel. Might be something to look at. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEZL600EFI View Post
    Continues into higher speed, does not seem to get faster or louder.

If the ticking doesn't get faster as you speed up, then I doubt it is something with the wheels or anything that rotates that speeds up.
    With that many miles I was also going to suggest maybe a spark plug wire is arcing to the frame or engine. But that too would also speed up.

Very odd tick I will say.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    If the ticking doesn't get faster as you speed up, then I doubt it is something with the wheels or anything that rotates that speeds up.
    With that many miles I was also going to suggest maybe a spark plug wire is arcing to the frame or engine. But that too would also speed up.

Very odd tick I will say.

Bob
    I just changed my plugs and wires! I am going to look at that first now. It seems to be coming from right where the coils are!!!! Maybe one is not snapped on all the way or cam lose!

I feel like an idiot now, more so if that's it

Spyder Garage

Default Could be..!!

but again spark arching would speed up. Sounds like something loose and flickering by air flowing the engine compartment (air flow is pretty constant behind the frunk) When changing the plugs and wires did you remove things that may not have gotten hooked back up. Just a thought but do let us know..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Had a chance to look at it last night a bit. Not anything to do with the ignition. I took off panel and rode it, hard to tell with wind noise over 27 MPH. Jacked up rear and ran it, used a stethoscope to help find it. With the exhaust it was hard to pinpoint. Near as I can tell it seems to be coming from the drive pulley off the engine. I assume there is a bearing there that is going.

My next thought was to jack it up and try to spin the rear tire with a rubber wheel mounted in the my drill. I hop that with it being really quite I can isolate it better.

Anyone have issue with the bearing in this area? I assume you would need to press that in from behind the case no?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck in tracking it down!
    This may end up being a, "consult your dealer" sort of a thing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Better hope that it is not the bearing on the output shaft for the belt. That is expensive to fix!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Better hope that it is not the bearing on the output shaft for the belt. That is expensive to fix!

Bob
    Might be time to upgrade to the new F3......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would be even MORE expensive...
    But a whole lot more fun solution to the problem!

Spyder Garage

If I can sneak out of work early today I am off to the dealer......

Spyder Garage

Dealer said it was the front pulley. It was worn out pretty bad on the splines. He has one on order, so hopefully that's all it is. Why did it wear, who knows. He said he checked everything related to it and all is fine.
    So for 105 bucks plus a little labor she will be back up and running just fine........hopefully. Now I just need to get her home (45 miles) and the temps are supposed to max out around 30 starting tomorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it was only minimally "painful"...

Spyder Garage

i was thinking it was a clock under the seat, glad they figured it out
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default ZL

BLUEZL;
    i have an '09 RS, and have the exact same issue...
    if it were the spindle, as your dealer stated and ordered, the 'clicking' would speed up as you sped up... on mine it is a constant click at any speed... i can hear it around 20 mph, and as i excellerate, the clicking does NOT speed up... this has been happening for 5 years that i know of... and i haven't witnessed any ill effects....
    good luck, and keep us posted on your progress...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

He mentioned the front gaskets were shot as well. The exhaust was bouncing off the ground some. Maybe it's that, hearing the valves? Again that should speed up with the rpm if it was.
    I will keep the post updated when I get it back hopefully this weekend.