Thread: Just sayen Hi!

Spyder Garage

Default Just sayen Hi!

Bought a 2013 Spyder RT LTD 3 weeks ago . Way new to three wheels, I've rode 2 wheelers off and on for 40 years. Thought I knew what I was doing when I started home (about a 50 mile ride) till I got to first curve . Felt like I was going to get thrown in the corn patch, didn't get over 50 mph all the way home. Got a lot to learn. Second ride was better.

Spyder Garage

Default It gets better

I've had mine for about 5 weeks now. About 1300 miles so far and the curves are starting to feel natural now. But I do alot of snowmobile riding so it's close to the same feeling. I love my Spyder and have no desire to go back to two wheels again.

2014 RT Limited, #0085 Silver Platinum Satin with Black Seat
    Spyderpops Bump Skid Plate, Belt Guard, IPS, SS Knott Grilles,
    Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Passenger Arm Rest, 3 pc Lid Net Set,
    Smart Mount Driver Backrest, Windshield Dash Pouch System,
    TRICLED Blinkers and Brake Lights.
    Too Many Toys and Not Enough Time!!

Spyder Garage

It will get better with seat time. I felt the same way on my first couple of rides. I have almost 500 miles on my 2013 ST and I'm feeling pretty good. I have ridden ATV's and some dirt bikes, but nothing on the street.
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default It does get better

Quote Originally Posted by dginoregon View Post
    It will get better with seat time. I felt the same way on my first couple of rides. I have almost 500 miles on my 2013 ST and I'm feeling pretty good. I have ridden ATV's and some dirt bikes, but nothing on the street.
    Been on two wheels for a few years but due to back problems have purchased a 2012 Spyder RT with a RT 622 trailer. Was also surprised with the new, to me, handling. Having now ridden for two months can say it definitely gotten to feel more confident riding. But like all things stay within your comfot zone and your confidence will build. Most of all just enjoy!!

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

& on your new toy

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

27w.gif to the best Spyder website.....You'll like it here!

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is definitely a different experience for us life long two wheelers. After 100,000 miles I seldom take a curve at less than twice the posted speed and feel totally comfortable with that. Its like everything else, the more you do it, the greater the comfort factor
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome from Western Pennsylvania. Be careful..... You will find that the more miles you put on your Spyder, the more addictive they become. We also come from 2 wheels. We are really enjoying our Spyders.

Spyder Garage

&

A little seat time will cure the curves!

Enjoy the three wheel experience!

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Good Morning Spyderlovers finely got a nice day to ride. Its rained most of the last week.Goingto look for a big mt parking lot, Mommy (my wife) wants to try it ,practice practice

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It will get easier with more miles! Lots of good suggestions above and on this forum to help you along! Relax and enjoy the ride!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old biker View Post
    Bought a 2013 Spyder RT LTD 3 weeks ago . Way new to three wheels, I've rode 2 wheelers off and on for 40 years. Thought I knew what I was doing when I started home (about a 50 mile ride) till I got to first curve . Felt like I was going to get thrown in the corn patch, didn't get over 50 mph all the way home. Got a lot to learn. Second ride was better.
    Click on the "sticky" in the General Discussion tab for New riders. Take the time to read this and as stated read the manuel from front to back. Practice riding and you will soon get the Feel of the Spyder. I know of bike riders who thought they could ride anything because they have been riding 30 years or more and have gotten on a Spyder and had an accident 2 miles down the road. Get to know the machine, you will love it.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

from another "Noo-Yawker"...
    Do you have any experience on ARVs or snowmobiles? Ther're a pretty good approximation to the feel and handling of the Spyders.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old biker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony guitar View Post
    Been on two wheels for a few years but due to back problems have purchased a 2012 Spyder RT with a RT 622 trailer. Was also surprised with the new, to me, handling. Having now ridden for two months can say it definitely gotten to feel more confident riding. But like all things stay within your comfot zone and your confidence will build. Most of all just enjoy!!
    to both of you!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

and on your new 2013RT LTD. I also came from riding 2 wheel motorcycles ( was a passenger for 16 years on the 2 wheel motorcycles) Practice, practice, good idea for looking for a parking lot to practice until you get comfortable riding /learning the spyder.

It took me a few tries to get use to riding my first spyder( 2012RTS-SE5 then I upgraded to a 2014RT-SE6 in July 30, 2014) Keep us posted on how you are doing with your 2013RT-LTD. Don't be afraid to ask questions on this site, we are here to help. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!! Welcome..!!

To both this awesome site and the roadster/spyder world. Congrats on your new ryde..pics would be nice..
    Your doing fine..takes a good 300+ miles to get into a comfort zone no matter where your coming from...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

and on your new rides.

There is a learning curve of 500 - 1500 miles. On the longer end if you are coming from many years on two wheels. There is a thread called do's and don'ts of owing a . Lots of good information in that one. The main point is to not "overcontrol" the . Tight gripping on the handlebars turns into small inputs that make the seem to have a mind of its own.

Build up your confidence by riding slower twisties at first and then go from there. The manual has some good slow speed exercises. (Cones optional--IMO).

Enjoy, and let us know how you are doing.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-25-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default This Damn thing is not safe !!!!

Hi Dave here, I have a quick Spyder story for you.
    I have been riding 2 wheels since I was 14 starting with a Cushman I am now 72 and counting
    2 and a half years ago I was riding my Honda ST1100 to town, it was 7:00 PM I came to a STOP
    sign and was at a complete stop... I will add here I had just had my 2 knees replaced and had recovered
    from that and this was my first ride since then... out of my left eye heading right for me at about 40+MPH
    was a green Cheve. pickup, I had no place to go so I did the strangest thing, I stood on the pegs and jumped
    backwords off the bike just as the truck hit the bike... I was on the ground the bike was spinning and it hit me and shoved me under the rear of the truck and then the guy ran over me...
    The guy was DRUNK it was his 4th DUI and this time it was a felony because of my condition after being run down
    he went to jail... NO insurance, NO drivers Lic, stolen truck with stolen plates on it... Good thing I had uninsured driver insurance.
    Now you have the back ground, My wife and I have logged over a million miles on motorcycles we are both life members of the AMA and we ride everywhere. She told me while I was recovering that I am getting to damn OLD
    my reflexes are not as sharp, you know how the rest goes... she said if I wanted to have her ride with me again
    that I best get something that don't tip over....now I have no idea what that has to do with getting run down while
    at a dead stop but you can't argue with women, so after thinking about having my GoldWing made into a trike and
    deciding not to do that we started looking for a SPYDER.. a used SPYDER not wanting to jump in with both feet
    on an experiment... we found a near new 2008 GS for a great price, just about 50 miles from home above Sacramento so we got in the car and went there and bought it, I put on my helmet got on and down the road....
    the next 50 miles were TERRIFYING by the time I got to Lodi, CA and got off at a Starbucks.... my wife came over to me and said QUOTE you are a hazard to yourself and everyone else on that damn thing, I am not riding with you on it until you learn to ride it. I was going down the freeway at 45mph tops and scared, the thing darted all over the road, and in corners it will through you off... I spent the next 500 or so miles learning to ride it and unlearn riding a motorcycle, YOU will get the hang of it and then is when the fun begins.... Ride Safe Dave