Spyder Garage

Default Gas mileage and aftermarket air filter

What's been everyone's experience with gas mileage after removing air box/resonater and going with an aftermarket air filter?

Spyder Garage

No chage whatsoever if I can keep my wrist out of the throttle. Although our 2013s have never gotten great mileage. 25 to 27.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

My mileage improved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    No chage whatsoever if I can keep my wrist out of the throttle. Although our 2013s have never gotten great mileage. 25 to 27.
    I was getting 31/32 now I'm getting 27. Now granted it could be my wrist because I love the new sound and the cooler panels, but it's been two fill ups now and I'm curious what others have found. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Milage

I get between 31 - 32 mpg on my 2013 RT Limited. I mpg went up about 1 or 2. I was getting 30 mpg before I changed the air filter, I also added the cat-delete.

Spyder Garage

Spyders in cooler climates get better fuel milage due to the fuel vaporizaion problem the NHTSA is looking at. In hot climates, a significant portion of the fuel is boiled away. On a hot day if I park the bike with a half tank of gas, in the morning its below 1/4. On week earlier in the summer, my bike only got 65 miles on a tank of gas. 2 trips to work, an hour of traffic each afternoon and near 100deg temps. Roughly HALF the gas gone to vaporization. Thats 16.5 mpg.......My F250 does better than that.

This was not a normal incident but it just illustrates the point. You cannot compare mileage without looking at temps on the bikes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my ST gets about 33mpg when traveling...don't do much stop and go.....but I have not changed the air box/resonater ....air filter

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say..!!

have made several mod so can't single it out but the performance did increase. Never did any of them for mileage just better enginelife and performance..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Spyders in cooler climates get better fuel milage due to the fuel vaporizaion problem the NHTSA is looking at. In hot climates, a significant portion of the fuel is boiled away. On a hot day if I park the bike with a half tank of gas, in the morning its below 1/4. On week earlier in the summer, my bike only got 65 miles on a tank of gas. 2 trips to work, an hour of traffic each afternoon and near 100deg temps. Roughly HALF the gas gone to vaporization. Thats 16.5 mpg.......My F250 does better than that.

This was not a normal incident but it just illustrates the point. You cannot compare mileage without looking at temps on the bikes.

That is interesting! I was just thinking today that my fuel milaege went down pretty bad. I thought it would be a little better in the fall due to the cool temps. In the summer when it was hot out my low fuel light was coming on between 140 & 165 miles on the tank pretty consistantly. Now that it is cooler my last 2 tanks it has come on about 125 to 130 miles on the tank. I did not actually check the milaege but I know it is down a bit.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    That is interesting! I was just thinking today that my fuel milaege went down pretty bad. I thought it would be a little better in the fall due to the cool temps. In the summer when it was hot out my low fuel light was coming on between 140 & 165 miles on the tank pretty consistantly. Now that it is cooler my last 2 tanks it has come on about 125 to 130 miles on the tank. I did not actually check the milaege but I know it is down a bit.
    That is interesting. I would have thought the opposite. Maybe that's my issue, go figure.

Spyder Garage

I track my fuel by the app "Fuelly", no change due to filter. What I did get was horrendous noise and no horsepower change either, just noise. I ran 0-60 tests before and after so I am confident that it makes no difference. In the days before fuel injection a free flowing air filter made noticeable change as it leaned out the mix a bit. Now with computers monitoring everything, it just blends more fuel in to maintain the same air/fuel mixture.

Spyder Garage

I noticed a small increase in HP at the top end, but I have a cat bypass as well. What was very much improved was the air flow through the engine bay and the MUCH easier access to work on the darn thing. Spark plugs are now only minutes once the side panel is off.

I like the new engine song, sounds like a healthy v-twin to me. But I can see where some may not like it. JT does have the prefilter that much reduces the motor music to near stock levels.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bluestratos;897339]I track my fuel by the app "Fuelly", no change due to filter. What I did get was horrendous noise and no horsepower change either, just noise. I ran 0-60 tests before and after so I am confident that it makes no difference. In the days before fuel injection a free flowing air filter made noticeable change as it leaned out the mix a bit. Now with computers monitoring everything, it just blends more fuel in to maintain the same air/fuel mixture.[/QUOTE

I went back to regular unleaded and believe it or not my gas mileage creeped back up, 29.7 this last refill.

what kind of noise are you getting? Do you have the pre-filter.
    I have this slight "chirping/whirling/whistle" like noise when I accelerate. It's certainly not horrendous but I noticed it sometimes. It tends to come and go.

Spyder Garage

I have this slight "chirping/whirling/whistle" like noise when I accelerate. It's certainly not horrendous but I noticed it sometimes. It tends to come and go.[/QUOTE]

I have that same sound. I think it is normal. You just cannot hear it with the stock air box.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    I have this slight "chirping/whirling/whistle" like noise when I accelerate. It's certainly not horrendous but I noticed it sometimes. It tends to come and go.
    I have that same sound. I think it is normal. You just cannot hear it with the stock air box.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of "Intake-Honk", when the loud grip is dancing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black