Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Changing to a comfort seat

I have a 2014 RT that I am changing the stock seat for a comfort seat that will give me an additional 2" of leg room as the driver. I like the leg room, but the seat doesn't seem to be as soft as the stock seat. I have a 500 mile ride scheduled for tomorrow, so I guess we will see. I will report once I return.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I have a 2014 RT that I am changing the stock seat for a comfort seat that will give me an additional 2" of leg room as the driver. I like the leg room, but the seat doesn't seem to be as soft as the stock seat. I have a 500 mile ride scheduled for tomorrow, so I guess we will see. I will report once I return.

It takes awhile to break in the comfort seat. I installed one in May. Took about a month or so for it to soften up. Completed a 1600 mile ride in September. Was pretty comfortable. A heck of a lot more comfortable than the stock seat.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    It takes awhile to break in the comfort seat. I installed one in May. Took about a month or so for it to soften up. Completed a 1600 mile ride in September. Was pretty comfortable. A heck of a lot more comfortable than the stock seat.
    I have heard that, but the stock 2014 is very comfortable allready, just not giving me enough leg room.

Spyder Garage

I put just under 1,000 miles in three and a half weeks on my comfort seat, new on my RT-S OTD. I found it exceptionally comfortable right out of the blocks. At 180 I don't put much of a load on it but my considerably heavier son says it was very comfortable for him. My dealer replaced it under warranty yesterday because of one line of defective stitching that pulled out. One hundred twenty-five miles on the new seat coming home from the dealer and it is just as comfortable as its predecessor. I too really like the additional leg room that was the reason I had it installed as part of the original deal.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    BRP says right in their description that it is a firmer compound foam, which for a bubble butt like me, sounds great. I am seriously considering the change too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    BRP says right in their description that it is a firmer compound foam, which for a bubble butt like me, sounds great. I am seriously considering the change too.
    It was already on my 2014 RTL including the back rest. They were using it for a demo. Lucky me. I love it.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I know it moves you back 2" and it should affect the passages room....but how much does it really interfere with the passenger comfort?
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
    I know it moves you back 2" and it should affect the passages room....but how much does it really interfere with the passenger comfort?

That all depends on how much room your passenger needs. I've got 31,000 miles on my 2014 Comfort Seat and while I like the seating position, my a$$ was sore every day on my latest trip. It may be time for a Day Long for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
    IMO that is totally related to passenger size and whether or not the driver has a backrest. My bride is not circumferentially enhanced and is well satisfied with the room she has. I do not want/need a backrest so that space encroacher is not an issue. I must admit that at the time we purchased our Spyder we were somewhat flying blind on the Comfort Seat passenger space issue but the fit gods smiled on us.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I put comfort seats on my 2009 RS and the 2011 RT. Was and am happy with both installations. I like the additional 2" setback. No issues here with passengers, as we both have our own.

I thought long and hard about putting a comfort seat on my 2014 RT. I did install a Utopia Back rest from the get go. IMO: The 2014 RTS OEM seat is better than previous renditions. I can ride my usual miles--and lately--have not needed to add my Airhawk or Sheepskin/gel for backup. I felt that the OEM took about 6,000 miles to get broken in and now it seems okay. It is not perfect for me, but not worth $500 to upgrade to Comfort seat or higher. I still have my Corbin and driver backrest from the 2010 on the shelf though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i love my comfort seat
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Well, I just got back from my 475 mile trip to the BRP. I love the additional 2" that the comfort seat gives. But, the stock 14 rt seat feels much better on the butt for the long rides. I tried my friends stock seat 40 miles from home, but at 6'2", the extra room is needed. Guess I will give it another try with the air hawk or gel pad. The comfort seat was fine for up to 100 miles but after that it needed assistance. Then again, I am picky when it comes to seats.
    Comfort seat with stock 2014 seat foam would be perfect for me.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did the comfort seat this week(Thursday) and did a nice ride today on it.I like the extra 2 inches which I thought I would not notice and so far the seat feels good for me

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,