Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock tires will not track straight

My 2014 RT limited was pulling to the right so I had it laser aligned but that did not solve the problem. I am using exactly 20 psi in both front tires. Mike Loescher (the inventor or the laser alignment system) suggested that I try switching the front tires. I did this and found that now the bike pulled to the left. Mike said that Can Am has had a problem with many of the stock tires on the 2014 RT Limited bikes. I replaced the tires back to their correct position and then informed my dealer (Tampa Bay Power Sports) about this problem. I am waiting to see if they are going to replace the tires. Has anyone else had similar problem?
    Last edited by Richard Brown; 10-24-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: to correct grammar

Spyder Garage

Default Pulls to the Right

My 2014 RT-L does pull to the right if I pull back from the handles for a moment. I haven't had the chance to get a laser alignment done yet. Hoping to wait til between 2000 & 2500 miles, see if it 'breaks in'. Though, we know how those types of hopes n wishes work.
    Vossr
    Sage Monkey
    MSgt, USAF ret

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

there are threads out there about tire problems on tge 14's. Both rear wear due to compound change now changed back and faulty front tires. Don't know wgats being done about that...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tire woes

I can't say I have noticed the Spyder pulling in one direction over the other.

What I do notice is, after a long-ish ride, while the tires are still warm, I park it in my garage and both fronts develop flat spots.

The flat spots seem to subside after ~30 mins into the next ride, but I find it odd that they do that in the first place.

The initial wallop and shimmy is annoying.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

RE: the bad tires in the OP.

Dealer should replace the bad tires under warranty. The test of changing out the tires from left to right and the doing the opposite dance should indicate a problem with the tires.

Also, the fact that a laser alignment did not help, is another argument in your favor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post

What I do notice is, after a long-ish ride, while the tires are still warm, I park it in my garage and both fronts develop flat spots.

The flat spots seem to subside after ~30 mins into the next ride, but I find it odd that they do that in the first place.

Kind of like the old nylon cord tires on cars and trucks.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a problem with my tires. One of them was not "true" My dealer replaced it under warranty. They said they had seen a few issues like that.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brown View Post
    My 2014 RT limited was pulling to the right so I had it laser aligned but that did not solve the problem. I am using exactly 20 psi in both front tires. Mike Loescher (the inventor or the laser alignment system) suggested that I try switching the front tires. I did this and found that now the bike pulled to the left. Mike said that Can Am has had a problem with many of the stock tires on the 2014 RT Limited bikes. I replaced the tires back to their correct position and then informed my dealer (Tampa Bay Power Sports) about this problem. I am waiting to see if they are going to replace the tires. Has anyone else had similar problem?
    Exact same problem. Did the laser alignment and it still pulls to the right. My RS tracks straight and true but with the 2014 RT I can't take my hands off for a second.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had that exact same problem and both tires were replaced under warranty.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT does pull to the right also... I was thinking about getting the laser alignment... now I am not sure...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    My 2014 RT does pull to the right also... I was thinking about getting the laser alignment... now I am not sure...
    Only a very small percentage of Spyders have been found to be in good alignment from the dealers. All the independent ROLO dealers I know of will check your alignment for free, cost only comes in should you need an alignment. You may have bad tires, but I'll bet an ice cream cone that you also have alignment issues.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

No expert here but my share of old vehicles & bad roads, most everything pulls right, not from alignment but just the grade of road to drain rain water off,fyi. I've goon to using dynabeads on most all my vehicles & has helped. G'luck with what you got & choose to do[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    I had that exact same problem and both tires were replaced under warranty.
    Likewise.....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have aligned three Spyders that have had the same issue and each of them were able to get their tires replaced under warranty. If your Tampa dealer won't work with you try Central Florida Powersports.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    No expert here but my share of old vehicles & bad roads, most everything pulls right, not from alignment but just the grade of road to drain rain water off,fyi. I've goon to using dynabeads on most all my vehicles & has helped. G'luck with what you got & choose to do[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes all my vehicles do seem to follow the crown but my spyder is pulling to the right so hard that it will climb right up a crown and when I switched the front tires it pulled to the left even when the slope of the road was to the right. This is after a laser alignment. Seems like a bad tire to me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes all my vehicles do seem to follow the crown but my spyder is pulling to the right so hard that it will climb right up a crown and when I switched the front tires it pulled to the left even when the slope of the road was to the right. This is after a laser alignment. Seems like a bad tire to me.
    You probably have a bad belt in the tire. The symptoms you cite are the same as others who have had a bad belt. This should be replaced under warranty.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New tires fixed the problem

Tampa Bay Power Sports replaced both front tires, now my Spyder tracks perfectly.

Spyder Garage

Tampa Bay Power Sports replaced both front tires, now my Spyder tracks perfectly.
    Thank you for posting about the fix. Many times we do not get the "rest of the story."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Pulling to the Right hard

2014 RT L Mine is pulling hard to the right also. Dealer has replaced three sets of tires so I am on the 4th set of tires. I have had a laser alignment done it did get rid of most of the shimmy in the front end but it still pulls to the right. let go of the handle bar and it pulls to the right 1/2" hard. the only way that it will go down the road straight is if you put the tires on backwards (*reverse rotation) it will go down the road for over a 1/10 mile with no hands at all! Is there any thing that will help but a new set of tires?

Spyder Garage

I would suggest that you try a different set of wheels and rims. Maybe your dealer would let you try a set off of one of his.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I would suggest that you try a different set of wheels and rims. Maybe your dealer would let you try a set off of one of his.

Cruzr Joe
    They did try a new set of rims and tires same result they came off a new 2014 RT L

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Still sounds like bad tires.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Pulling

Quote Originally Posted by PRDodds59 View Post
    They did try a new set of rims and tires same result they came off a new 2014 RT L

I'm in the same boat. Everything is like it's supposed to, (including reset sensors) yet I still drift to the right.v

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post

I have the exact same problem. The tires will develop a flat spot and when I take off the whole front end and windsheld will shimmy for about 15 minutes and then settle out. I thought the first time it happened that my windsheld was going to fly off.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had the same thing. Dealer put on new tires at 400 miles under warranty. Old tires had an unbelievable amount of weights. One side had 15 and the other side had 8.