Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Having recently purchased a 2013 RT Limited, and dealing with some of these heat and gas vapor issues, I agree that we should stay on topic, and avoid talk of litigation. I have formally registered complaints with the NHTSA, and corresponded with Mr. Robert Young of the NHTSA, who is working these issues. I think the long-term benefit of us 2013 Spyder owners is more important than having someone upset the process with premature talk about class action lawsuits.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
    An F3 is a middle grade tornado, not as bad as the F5, but worse than the F1.
    Are you saying that it "BLOWS"??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default heat

Have a 2013 rs that is almost unrideable in 80 plus temperatures due to the heat from the bike. Gives you first degree burns. Have posted a complaint to the proper safety administration.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank-you for doing so.
    Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this, but still...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you...[emoji5]

Spyder Garage

Default HAVE YOU ALL READ THE DOCUMENT SENT TO BRP BY NHTSA?

I printed it & I have read through it a couple of times. Here is what jumped out at me:

Page 7, #14; "fully describe all assessments, analyses, tests, test results, studies, surveys, simulations, investigations, inquiries and/or (collectively, "actions") wherein temperature readings were noted that support BRP's marketing claim of "improved heat management" found at http://can-am.brp.spyder/shopping-to...spyder-rt.html for the MY2014 Spyder RT models. Provide all documents comparing/contrasting the temperature readings BRP relied upon when making that claim."

Page 8, #18 (g); "Separately for each of the 16 fires BRP identifies that are, or could be, within the scope of 12V-582, provide all documents related to each fire.

Page 8, #19 (d); "Separately, for each of the 30 fires BRP identifies that are, or could be, within the scope of 12V-581, provide all documents related to each fire.

Page 9, #20 (d); "Separately, for each of the 3 fires that BRP identifies prompting its recall, provide all related documents."

Boys & girls, that is a total of 49 fires that BRP has identified. Not once in my agonizingly long year of dealing with BRP have they ever acknowledged even 1 fire to me. Have they to any of you? I think that this is really going to bite BRP in the . Not to mention the marketing claim of "improved heat management" which implies that they knew all along that there was a heat problem with the 2013 RT's. I was told today by a BRP representative that the 2014 RT was "a completely designed bike" with new panels and twin radiators relocated to the front that "reverse in stop and go traffic".

I think that we are getting closer to some resolution with this. Below are 2 Emails from Bob Young a NHTSA.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM, <Robert.Young@dot.gov<mailto:Robert.Young@dot.gov>> wrote:
    You should have your cannister weighed, Dwight. If more than 485 grams, it should be replaced.

Bob Young

Vehicle Defects Investigator

USDOT/NHTSA/ODI

202-366-4806<tel:202-366-4806>

I hope that helps. Make certain, too, that they check the roll-over and purge valves (per BRP diagnostic recommendations). In any event, please let me know what they find.

Bob Young

Vehicle Defects Investigator

USDOT/NHTSA/ODI

202-366-4806

Keep your fingers crossed. I know mine are.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Red face Since the begining

"Not to mention the marketing claim of "improved heat management" which implies that they knew all along that there was a heat problem with the 2013 RT's."

Have said this before and think it's worth repeating. One way to diminish a previously known problem is to make it worse. That is what happened in 2013. Those who have had heat issues prior to 2013 should not be discounted.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 10-30-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    This is great news they have to step up now what really get me is all the dealers from what i read when you ask them if this is a common problem they all say the same thing i never heard of this before yup OK lets hope justice will be served i am about ready to trade my 2013 because of the fuel smell been to the dealer 2 times on more time then i will file a lemon law this surelly will help anyone that wants file a lemon law on their bike
    When I asked about using the lemon law a couple of years ago on a different motorcycle, I was told the law didn't apply to motercycles just cars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by uralski View Post
    When I asked about using the lemon law a couple of years ago on a different motorcycle, I was told the law didn't apply to motercycles just cars.
    It varies by state mine does not have one.Needless to say lets stay on topic this is something for another thread.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

well a light year has 2/3 rd's less calories than a regular year
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I printed it & I have read through it a couple of times. Here is what jumped out at me:

Boys & girls, that is a total of 49 fires that BRP has identified. Not once in my agonizingly long year of dealing with BRP have they ever acknowledged even 1 fire to me. Have they to any of you? I think that this is really going to bite BRP in the . Not to mention the marketing claim of "improved heat management" which implies that they knew all along that there was a heat problem with the 2013 RT's. I was told today by a BRP representative that the 2014 RT was "a completely designed bike" with new panels and twin radiators relocated to the front that "reverse in stop and go traffic".

I.
    Of course BRP or their dealers wouldn't have "acknowledged even 1 fire" to you, they believed that they had fixed the problems.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

see i complained about the heat on my 13 rt quite a bit, and spent close to 5k to try to fix it. i sold the bike and the new owner also has heat with it but it doesn't get to him as much as it did to me
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

If you have not seen it here is a NHTSA PDF that explains the whole process of what is going on

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...andRecalls.pdf
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

any more news on this topic ???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would you like some Bratwursts while we wait?

Spyder Garage

Nuthin' new if you read the above PDF it is happening in steps. The step we are in will move on after DEC 5 deadline for BRP to respond. NHTSA has been testing bike and have results and are talking to owners. That is all that is happening....for now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Dave...

Spyder Garage

Hopefully, pre-2013 will stay in the course, like mine 2010 RTS PE , boiling gas, irriting eyes, dripping gas ,smell clothes. When new my dealer told me it's was normal operation. So i keep riding it like that not without inconvenient.
    But i'm in canada so Transport Canada don't bite to hard if it's not push by NHTSA.
    (I remember at that time when i complaint for the erratic power steering)
    Please BRP waiting for good news for pre-2013 for canadian owner in december.

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow I was not ready for this.

deja vu my first 08 was one of the 109. I just bought a 2013 SE5 ST Limited, I just started riding it the last few weeks back and forth to the store or run a short errand. Did take it to Lodi to have some thing fixed happened to it before I got it. But did ride it long enough to know that the sides get hot enough in 80 degree to make you keep your leg away from the side and the fuel smell at some long lights and I have left it our a few times when i got home and got a gas smell.
    I do like the looks of the 2013 and was looking forward to riding again and will wait to see how it goes. I ordered the BajaRon swaybar kit and Lamonster highway brackets and pegs. Oh well it is what it is, and that is all it is.
    You all ride safe.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    If you read the letter it is for ALL years they are investigating especially since the 2011 police bike flamed on. The 2013 because of the frame design is more prevalent in having the issues there really is a difference in available airflow room on a 2013 over previous years. I thought both you and Drew knew the facts involved here there have been hundreds of posts about the 2013 differences. My quote on the 20 mph pertained to SE models only and not because of heat it is because of tranny issues. You can lug a SM if you want to but performance will suffer due to being in the lower torque range.It also is not good for the clutch disks. I did not support your theory about faster higher revs means less heat, We all have to stop at lights and stop signs don't we? If you go to the NHTSA reporting sight and look for 2013 Spyder you will see the # of reports on it. I have never looked for other years but I assume there are more.
    Spyders have been burning up since 08 and I know that for sure.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, it seems I'm one of the people who just cant stand the heat that comes out between the seats. I thought initially it was just....well too tight tighty whities.....it was quite painful on many occasions.

I for one hope they deal with it as they should but ultimately corporate greed willweigh its ugly head. I'm too new an owner to put BRP down for their customer service and dont know much about their attempts at customer loyalty (but by reading here....it's either non-existent or so little as to be...)

*anxiously awaiting their response*

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mickay View Post
    Hopefully, pre-2013 will stay in the course, like mine 2010 RTS PE , boiling gas, irriting eyes, dripping gas ,smell clothes. When new my dealer told me it's was normal operation. So i keep riding it like that not without inconvenient.
    But i'm in canada so Transport Canada don't bite to hard if it's not push by NHTSA.
    (I remember at that time when i complaint for the erratic power steering)
    Please BRP waiting for good news for pre-2013 for canadian owner in december.

Did you replace the gas cap?
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Did you replace the gas cap?
    We have a 2012 RT with the replacement gas cap and it still fills the garage with fumes. There are others with pre-2013 models experiencing the same.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    We have a 2012 RT with the replacement gas cap and it still fills the garage with fumes. There are others with pre-2013 models experiencing the same.
    I agree, we have at 11 RTS/SE5 and still have the gas fume issue, especially in the summer after a long ride.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 2010 RT the boiling gas never happened after the new gas cap was installed. It always smelled of gas, as did my 2013.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622