Thread: Tire Weight?

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Weight?

How much does the stock tire weigh?
    Been looking at alternative tire sizes for the rear of my 14 RS.
    Found weights vary widely.
    Considering The below lightweight car tire which is same height but a little narrower.
    Comments welcome

Summer
    Dunlop Direzza DZ101 - 205/55R15

The Dunlop Direzza DZ101 is a summer extreme performance tire made for compact sports cars. It is designed to offer superior cornering and grip potential, while giving the driver a smooth feel. The Direzza DZ101 performs well even at high speeds. As with all summer tires, it is not meant to be driven in icy or snowy conditions. The Dunlop 205/55R15 Direzza DZ101 has a diameter of 23.9" and a width of 8.4", it is mounted on a 15" rim with 874 revolutions per mile. Direzza DZ101 205/55R15 tires weigh 19 lbs, have a max load of 1235 lbs, have a maximum PSI of 51 psi, have a tread depth of 10/32" and should be used with a rim width of 5.5-7.5".
    See all Direzza DZ101 tire sizes →

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 205/55R15 Tire Specs

Size Diameter Width Tread Depth Tread Width Rim Range Load Range Max Load Max psi Weight Revs/Mile
    205/55R15 23.9" 8.4" 10/32" 7.2" 5.5-7.5" SL 1235 lbs 51 psi 19 lbs 874

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KENDA TIRES

Comparing KENDA tires with any other tires is difficult ......they don't give out a lot of info on them...............and the 205 Dunlop you are looking at will not upset the NANNY .......Weight is not going to be a real consideration unless you are planning to RACE it ......Are you ?????...................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

weight is not the issue. Size and clearances are. There is a ton of info here if you can wade through it all....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree that weight isn't going to be the much of an issue. I can tell you that I weighed my Toyo T1R 225/50/15 (new) against my OEM Kenda (very worn out) and the Toyo was about 2 lbs. lighter!

Granted, the OEM tire was worn only in the middle with plenty of tread on both sides.

I didn't believe it so I weighed them again with the same results. (Very accurate digital scale).

People still don't believe me when I tell them. How can a 4 ply tire weigh less than a 2 ply tire? Good question. My only answer is technology and competition.

But you can take a digital scale, go to a dealer and weight one of their tires off the rack.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-22-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I agree that weight isn't going to be the much of an issue. I can tell you that I weighed my Toyo T1R 225/50/15 (new) against my OEM Kenda (very worn out) and the Toyo was about 2 lbs. lighter!

Granted, the OEM tire was worn only in the middle with plenty of tread on both sides.

I didn't believe it so I weighed them again with the same results. (Very accurate digital scale).

People still don't believe me when I tell them. How can a 4 ply tire weigh less than a 2 ply tire? Good question. My only answer is technology and competition.

But you can take a digital scale, go to a dealer and weight one of their tires off the rack.
    Ron I believe it ,
    manufactures have used polyester belts , steel belts and recently heard of Kevlar belts. each and all will weigh a lot different.
    Last edited by billrob71; 10-22-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

The BRP representative just posted a notification that as of June, they went back to the tread formulation that was in use a few years ago. This tire is known to have much longer life than the later design but at the expense of traction performance. This was done in response to a multitude of complaints about poor mileage.

There is always a trade-off between traction and tread life. That is just the physics and chemistry of tire design.

My Spyder is new but if I were in the market for a new rear tire, I would take a look at the new (old) BRP tire technology as well as other brands.

Spyder Garage

They may have gone back to the harder compound, but the poor design and unsupported tread face still result in a poorly wearing tire that wears out in the middle rather than evenly. At speed, its only that center section that is applying force to the road. They are just poorly made chinese 2 ply tires. No matter which rubber compound they have on them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    Ron I believe it ,
    manufactures have used polyester belts , steel belts and recently heard of Kevlar belts. each and all will weigh a lot different.
    When you think about it, how much competition does Kenda have for their Spyder specific tires? On paper, zero. It is the only 'approved' tire in the world for the Spyder. On the other hand. Performance tires for cars have HUGE competition. With more competition you typically get a better product for less money. Volume doesn't hurt either.

Just my 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

Default I APOLOGIZE FOR GOING SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC

......Ron, I have those Toyo's ( proxes ) in size 185/55-15 on the front of my 2014 RT ( basic , w/old style fenders ).......I think they are fantastic . Stick like glue , wet or dry and were only $ 57 @ Tire Rack a couple months ago..................Tire Rack didn't list the 225/50 -15 as available/offered......where did you get yours ?????....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......Ron, I have those Toyo's ( proxes ) in size 185/55-15 on the front of my 2014 RT ( basic , w/old style fenders ).......I think they are fantastic . Stick like glue , wet or dry and were only $ 57 @ Tire Rack a couple months ago..................Tire Rack didn't list the 225/50 -15 as available/offered......where did you get yours ?????....Mike
    Got mine from Tire Rack. Should have bought more when they were closing them out. I'm running Falken's now. Not nearly as good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you think about it, how much competition does Kenda have for their Spyder specific tires? On paper, zero. It is the only 'approved' tire in the world for the Spyder. On the other hand. Performance tires for cars have HUGE competition. With more competition you typically get a better product for less money.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You might take a look at 205/60-15. Lots to choose from. I've used three in this size, one General Altimax and now on my second Pirelli P4, as they are very close in overall size to the OEM according to the "tire size comparison chart".
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default AND THIS SIZE

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    You might take a look at 205/60-15. Lots to choose from. I've used three in this size, one General Altimax and now on my second Pirelli P4, as they are very close in overall size to the OEM according to the "tire size comparison chart".
    .......There are also quite a few choices in 215/60 -15 that will also work well.......just sayin, Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 205/60 choice might be a bit closer to the OEM's diameter (and circumference)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The 205/60 choice might be a bit closer to the OEM's diameter (and circumference)
    If I were going to change tire size I'd go a bit bigger. That would get the speedo closer to the actual speed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's true. But you'd be giving up a little bit of low-end gearing in the process...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's true. But you'd be giving up a little bit of low-end gearing in the process...
    That would only affect 'Jack Rabbit' starts. It would have no affect on 'Godzilla' starts...