Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Front scrapping on driveways

Hi all, I have been riding my ST L for about a month and find that when I am going out a driveway from say a store, the front hits on the ground. Would stiffening the shocks (assuming this can be done) help? The tire pressures are correct. Or is this just the way it is? Thanks, Dean
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need a SpyderPops BumpSkid.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the same problem but if I enter and exit the roadway at an angle it helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    I have the same problem but if I enter and exit the roadway at an angle it helps.

He is correct

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Angles..!!

the bumpskid is great protection but is pretty thick and will bump even more. Coming at them at an angle will help considerably and finding a better entrance/exit would be better. There are some stiffeners being tested and will work for your model. This could also help. He just posted..check with him..Doc Humphreys...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are close to bottoming, the driveway transitions push you the rest of the way to allow the scraping to happen. You have to stiffen up the front end - that means stiffer springs. You can do this 2 ways, buy the nice aftermarket shocks (~$ 1,500 + for the pair) with the damping adjustability and stiffer springs OR change the springs for about $120. Here is a thread on how I approached the problem: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ont-Suspension

You did not indicate your weight - I am 205 without riding gear and I was bottoming out... I have not bottomed out since swapping out the front springs.

Post back what you do.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    He is correct
    100%
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    2013 STL here same agree, tech offered to adjust shocks @ oil change, thx but was more of a bad habit in how i entered certain drives. Made mental note & have had no other problems. Thats saying a lot for LA roads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Remember the KISS concept

Quote Originally Posted by dginoregon View Post
    Hi all, I have been riding my ST L for about a month and find that when I am going out a driveway from say a store, the front hits on the ground. Would stiffening the shocks (assuming this can be done) help? The tire pressures are correct. Or is this just the way it is? Thanks, Dean
    First check to see if the adjustments on the front shocks are set to the highest position. Second, try the BRP Fox shock and set it on the highest position before installation. Putting a Bump skid on should be a last resort because it won't fix anything. It will just protect the plastic when you still hit the ground. Been there. Done this.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone asked Baja Ron bout this and his need for test pilots, per his new shocks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that he had CruzrJoe on board; I'd have to guess that he's got his 2nd prototype tester already
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure about "Where able to read the bumper with just your static weight on the bike?"

Just looking at the bike from the front and you can see the front wheels cave inwards.

First pic is looking at the front. Second pic is a bullet level on the inside rim.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419479925.929346.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419479951.974549.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Flamewinger,

I understand about the inward tip of the wheel and your desire to adjust the springs to get the wheels more upright.

You do not want to just start changing the preload on the shocks to get the wheels look upright. I believe you want to get the spring adjusted properly; when this is done, I believe the wheels will look right as the spring will keep the front suspension A arms parallel to the ground. That will insure the wheel is up and down.

I will post a separate link with plenty of pics so you can understand how to adjust your springs: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d=1#post917893

As you go through your adjustments, keep posting back what you find out so other benefit from your experience.

Jerry
    Last edited by spacetiger; 12-25-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There are no adjustments available on my shocks... Do I assume correctly that the rubber doughnut shown earlier in the thread fits on the top of the shock spring? I also noted the mention of "wedges", and think I've seen them before, but can't find a picture/source... Let me know where to find these - thanx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    There are no adjustments available on my shocks... Do I assume correctly that the rubber doughnut shown earlier in the thread fits on the top of the shock spring? I also noted the mention of "wedges", and think I've seen them before, but can't find a picture/source... Let me know where to find these - thanx
    Before you buy anything, you ought to really have some feel for what you need. I'm not sure the wedge is what you thinking of, perhaps something like these: http://store.resuspension.com/produc...cat=352&page=1

These are not the right size but are inserts that go between 2 coils.

I put a post out to guide you through how to read your front shocks. Pm me if you need help encoding it. I tried to make it understandable.

jerry

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bumper was as shown in #3 - RT does not bottom out coming in the driveway, but does on a hard stop, pothole, etc., with just me on the bike. I need to add an inch of compression to make this stop.

Since there is no adjustment available on the shock, my only choice is a rubber wedge/donut on the shock. Do you know the proper size? Prices range from $15 to $40 on fleabay... changing shocks and/or springs is not an option, since I've already spent my budget on Ron's sway bar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok I read a bit more on how to adjust the preload on outer coil shock springs. Got my large channel locks and, along with the spanner wrench, I loosened the lock ring and turned the upper ring 4 full turns. Took the bike out for a short spin-around-the-block and it just felt better. No more squishy feel and it didn't scrape either. No Scraping!!! I tried rolling down the driveway and nothing. The skid plate is saved. ( so to speak :-) )

I will be looking into Works or Elka's or even Baha Ron's shocks and getting a set for the front as well as one for the rear sometime next year. Hopefully before full riding season.
    First pic is before lock ring adjustment. Second is after adjustment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419633536.583703.jpg. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419633564.037658.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red