Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Simple answer

Don't use Kendra tires, I never go back to using the stock tires, the mileage is terrible on both compounds, I just use the Kumho Ecsta AST and for $81 with free shipping, it's a much better tire and the handling is a lot better than anything Kendra makes, don't believe all the hype about it not being a motorcycle tire. I currently only have 3,600 miles on my Kendra and it's already down to the rain wear bars, never got better than 5,000 miles out of one and I don't use my bike as a touring model

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Spyder Garage

I've been riding for 40 yrs and I've never got over 15,000 miles out of any tire on any bike. I could get 12 to 14 on touring bikes and that was the best I could get. I just put tires on my Victory and those only had a little over 9,000 miles on them and they were wore out! I would like to get 15,000 but if I can get 10,000 and have good all around performance I would be happy.
    I'm glad to see BRP is listening to our concerns and trying to address those issues. They won't be able to please everyone but at least they're trying.

Spyder Garage

Whenever I see a rare instance of BRP stepping in an making a statement, I tend to wonder why we don't hear more from them. Clearly, there are many posts where an "official" response would be of help.

Then, I read through what some people have to say here, and I completely understand. Saying just about anything doesn't open up a discussion, it opens up the gates of attack.

This statement was so sensible - they made a decision to offer performance over longevity, and found that most people preferred longevity. They opted to give us what we said we wanted, instead of what they thought would be considered an improvement. I'm betting there were a few disappointed engineers as well, but they intelligently responded to US and OUR complaints.

The problem is, we make speaking up a NO WIN situation for them. They are destined to be attacked no matter what they say, so I imagine they have decided to say as little as possible. What, in my view, could be an intelligent conversation, or even debate, about the merits of one type of tire over the other, ends up subjecting them to demands of replacement tires and complaints about all of the tires. They would have to be stupid to get into a conversation about why they use the brand they do, which is a conversation I think we'd all like to have with them, because if they were open and honest about it they would have so much more to loose than to gain. And that's on us, not them.

I run a small business, just a few full time and a few part time team members. I just create photographs, that's all. It is difficult to explain just how complex it is to get that done right, and to deliver great product on time. In some cases, I use the best vendors I can find, but in other instances simply "good" vendors are enough. The thing is, we may say we are willing to pay for what we want, but most of the time we are looking for the best overall value and if it costs too much we won't buy it. All too often my company doesn't get the quality we had expected, and then we have to be responsible and spend money when our vendors missed the mark. Sometimes, we miss the mark as well, but I've learned to be very careful to which clients I can be completely open with, because some are just looking for a reason to say "ah-ha - I got you" and look to put blame on me when I'm really working as hard as I can to deliver to them.

If we want to see more BRP threads, or see more BRP responses, then we need to adjust our approach. We also have to remember that our freedom of speech is accompanied the freedom not to speak. The more we treat BRP as a partner, the more I think they will be here to communicate with us.

Most of us are over or approaching 50, but we're acting like a bunch of entitled millennials.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsm69 View Post
    Don't use Kendra tires, I never go back to using the stock tires, the mileage is terrible on both compounds, I just use the Kumho Ecsta AST and for $81 with free shipping, it's a much better tire and the handling is a lot better than anything Kendra makes, don't believe all the hype about it not being a motorcycle tire. I currently only have 3,600 miles on my Kendra and it's already down to the rain wear bars, never got better than 5,000 miles out of one and I don't use my bike as a touring model

Nice wheels on the bike in your sig. Just thought you should know they are mounted backwards in that pic. IE the left wheel is shown on the right side. The blade wheels are directional and specific right and left hand wheels are in the set.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Whenever I see a rare instance of BRP stepping in an making a statement, I tend to wonder why we don't hear more from them. Clearly, there are many posts where an "official" response would be of help.

Then, I read through what some people have to say here, and I completely understand. Saying just about anything doesn't open up a discussion, it opens up the gates of attack.

This statement was so sensible - they made a decision to offer performance over longevity, and found that most people preferred longevity. They opted to give us what we said we wanted, instead of what they thought would be considered an improvement. I'm betting there were a few disappointed engineers as well, but they intelligently responded to US and OUR complaints.

The problem is, we make speaking up a NO WIN situation for them. They are destined to be attacked no matter what they say, so I imagine they have decided to say as little as possible. What, in my view, could be an intelligent conversation, or even debate, about the merits of one type of tire over the other, ends up subjecting them to demands of replacement tires and complaints about all of the tires. They would have to be stupid to get into a conversation about why they use the brand they do, which is a conversation I think we'd all like to have with them, because if they were open and honest about it they would have so much more to loose than to gain. And that's on us, not them.

I run a small business, just a few full time and a few part time team members. I just create photographs, that's all. It is difficult to explain just how complex it is to get that done right, and to deliver great product on time. In some cases, I use the best vendors I can find, but in other instances simply "good" vendors are enough. The thing is, we may say we are willing to pay for what we want, but most of the time we are looking for the best overall value and if it costs too much we won't buy it. All too often my company doesn't get the quality we had expected, and then we have to be responsible and spend money when our vendors missed the mark. Sometimes, we miss the mark as well, but I've learned to be very careful to which clients I can be completely open with, because some are just looking for a reason to say "ah-ha - I got you" and look to put blame on me when I'm really working as hard as I can to deliver to them.

If we want to see more BRP threads, or see more BRP responses, then we need to adjust our approach. We also have to remember that our freedom of speech is accompanied the freedom not to speak. The more we treat BRP as a partner, the more I think they will be here to communicate with us.

Most of us are over or approaching 50, but we're acting like a bunch of entitled millennials.
    Well said! Working together towards a common goal always beats fighting over differences.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    Yep I read it.. but I don't buy their excuse... a $160 2 ply tire ? and it won't last 10K miles... I did not buy a race bike...I bought a RT... so I don't need a race tire..... my GoldWing's tires lasted a lot longer... so don't tell me no one can build a better tire..... & I for one won't buy another Kenda, .. there are other better choices..
    Who said no one can build a better tire? And I don't think anyone expected you to go out and buy another Kenda. There ARE better choices. And what does your Goldwing have to do with anything?

BRP pretty much straightforwardly said that they thought people would want a tire that had better grip but didn't last as long. They were wrong (which they admitted) so they went back to a tire that lasted longer but didn't have as much grip. Just like most riders wanted.

What more do you want them to do?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

BRP didn't come back after the first comment. I wouldn't either. Like Black Friday at Target...
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    I've been riding for 40 yrs and I've never got over 15,000 miles out of any tire on any bike. I could get 12 to 14 on touring bikes and that was the best I could get. I just put tires on my Victory and those only had a little over 9,000 miles on them and they were wore out! I would like to get 15,000 but if I can get 10,000 and have good all around performance I would be happy.
    I'm glad to see BRP is listening to our concerns and trying to address those issues. They won't be able to please everyone but at least they're trying.
    Try Dunlop American Elite tires. I had those on my 11 Harley Road Glide and were good for 20,000 to 22,000 miles and they handle very well. They are a dual compound tire with high milage centers and grippy compound for the sides.

You will be impressed.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Wow! Another thread headed to the

I agree with others. Steve is giving us info on how BRP is correcting a problem. Good grief. Some complain when they don't respond. Then complain when they do.
    Last edited by bruiser; 10-22-2014 at 05:47 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    Yep I read it.. but I don't buy their excuse... a $160 2 ply tire ? and it won't last 10K miles... I did not buy a race bike...I bought a RT... so I don't need a race tire..... my GoldWing's tires lasted a lot longer... so don't tell me no one can build a better tire..... & I for one won't buy another Kenda, .. there are other better choices..
    A real good friend of mine just spent over $2300 for tires for his Vette. This was at about 15k miles. He got 50k+ on his tires for his truck. Should he complain and demand better, longer life tires from Goodyear or from his dealer?

Personally, I don't care how long a tire lasts....as long as it sticks and keeps me safe!
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 10-22-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Rear tires on my GT are about bald and just over 8000 miles. And they are top line Bridgestones that cost a bit more than Kendas. Suppose I should complain to Bridgestone?

They are what they are, BRP told us why and that they changed back based on consumer input. At least they are listening. Hopefully one day when thier contract with Kenda plays out, there will be other options as well. Maybe not. No other viable options for my GT either. Thank you mister Bridgestone, may I have another?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ​Thank you Steve for this information......and if you have any influence at BRP please ask them to inquire with a real tire manufacturer about having one of their products certified for use on a Motorcycle ........Thank you......Mike
    Hey Mike - just an FYI, your blue text is near impossible to read on some mobile themes...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414012326.519325.jpg

--
    Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! That's not "near impossible"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have been reading this site for many months before buying a 2014 RT-S. I do not recall seeing any posts from owners complaining about rear tire traction prior to BRP changing their specs to a softer compound. So, my question is, why cost me and almost every other 2014 owner more money on tire replacement intervals when their was no basis for the change?

The equivalent scenario would be putting Goodyear F1's on my passenger car. Twice the grip and half the tread life is useless on my 4 door sedan, which is what the RT series is equivalent to in the motorcycle world. Asking if BRP would be willing to assist in defraying the cost of a replacement tire that got 7, 8, or 9,000 miles less wear than other "motorcycle" tires seems reasonable to me.

A touring bike should be marketed with a touring tire. Even my 2011 Road Glide got 21,000 miles on the OEM rear tire with no complaints about traction (except for the last couple hundred miles in the rain which was a whole new experience.)
    Last edited by Bumble_B; 10-22-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Tires. Oil. Politics....

My Triumph Rocket III Touring pretty much eats tires.

--

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble_B View Post
    I have been reading this site for many months before buying a 2014 RT-S. I do not recall seeing any posts from owners complaining about rear tire traction prior to BRP changing their specs to a softer compound. So, my question is, why cost me and almost every other 2014 owner more money on tire replacement intervals when their was no basis for the change?
    Perhaps BRP went to the stickier tire for better traction, and felt that the increased safety was worth it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    We can be a tough crowd sometimes.

I am happy that BRP came on and told it like it is.

It appears that longevity was given up for better handling. Apparently, it was one or the other. I cannot fault them for that.

I am glad the issue has been "solved" in less than a year. IMO--they don't owe a refund, and I would not go there. It would be nice though, if we had more than one tire brand choice.

Well said!

To those claiming the soft compound was "defective"...........................I usually get about 2500-3000 miles out of a R tire on my ZX 14 (no burn outs or hard starts). Soft isn't defective...................it just sticks better.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by valkraider View Post
    Hey Mike - just an FYI, your blue text is near impossible to read on some mobile themes...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414012326.519325.jpg

--
    ....I enlarged your PIC and my question is .....Since I'm typing this in BLACK can you read it at all ???????, since your background is Black then I need to be typing in WHITE !!!!!!........But then only everyone else will be able to read it .......Mike

Spyder Garage

When we get about 1K miles on the rear tire of our tandem road bicycle, which is about 3 months of riding, and spend close to the price of a car tire I get concerned.

Then I consider the consequences of crashing an expensive tandem bike while basically riding with no real safety gear except a helmet, plus any injuries to myself or wife, money spent on tires, is normally never a complaint in this household.

Granted a tandem bicycle is not a Spyder. The Spyder may be faster, but 50 mph on a bicycle is pretty quick (she refused to pedal downhill to go faster). Even at 20 mph plus on flat roads is no fun to crash from a bad tire.

Spend what you want, can afford and works as you believe it should. You can't write the check as you lose control, but it is easy to replace a worn tire.

Car tire or Kenda, but complaining about tire wear just seems slightly insignificant in the big picture.

Have fun and all the best with it.

PK

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Who said no one can build a better tire? And I don't think anyone expected you to go out and buy another Kenda. There ARE better choices. And what does your Goldwing have to do with anything?

BRP pretty much straightforwardly said that they thought people would want a tire that had better grip but didn't last as long. They were wrong (which they admitted) so they went back to a tire that lasted longer but didn't have as much grip. Just like most riders wanted.

What more do you want them to do?
    I was just making a point that tires can last longer... a GoldWing weighs in at 650lbs... and only has 2 - TWO tires... and I got over 30,000 miles on Bridgestone tires on more than one set.. my point in case you don't comprehend... someone can make better tires that last and still provide good traction..

what I want them to do... ??? you ask.. ? ... I think BRP should make some sort of adjustment for on a tire that does not last 10,000 miles... they chose a 2 ply $180 tire .. gee whiz... other tires that are 4 ply cost less than half the cost of what BRP chose to install on these machines.. they knew full well how much these Spyders weigh and how much torque these machines make.. so they dropped the ball.. and its costing the buyers for their mistakes..
    they screwed up ... and we get to foot the bill...

Spyder Garage

Default A note on tire compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....I enlarged your PIC and my question is .....Since I'm typing this in BLACK can you read it at all ???????, since your background is Black then I need to be typing in WHITE !!!!!!........But then only everyone else will be able to read it .......Mike
    If you don't specify any specific color - then it works with any app or theme.

If you specify a color, then your color may conflict with a given theme. Your original post had the tag COLOR=#0000ff which forced the blue text.

--
    Last edited by valkraider; 10-22-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just a bit of irony.

I service my 2014 RT every 5K miles. It is just too far and too much time to go in "in another 1500 miles" to change a tire - the cost in time isn't worth it. Lou in Riverside does my service, and the rear tire he put on (not a Kendra, but I don't recall the brand) at 5K miles still has about 1.5K to go now that my Spyder is at 10K miles. Given the less than $200 to change the tire (he's always very fair), that gives me the choice of bringing it back in for about $50 in tire wear. $50 isn't worth the time involved, so in the end a 5K tire and a tire with less than 10K end up being about the same for me.

This service, at 10K, I did my second oil change (he suggests 5K miles, even on the 2014's and I trust him), had the alignment checked (no need to do it again!), replaced the rear tire for the second time, and the front two tires for the first time (again, I could have waited a bit, but not long enough to justify the cost in time and effort), and replaced the rear brakes. Compared to a car, the cost of maintenance is outrageous, but this isn't a car.

Here's the great thing. Aside from one bad component that was leading oil (which BRP not only fixed, but approved taking off a unit on my dealer's floor), this has been a very solid Spyder, and very much appears to also be for many others. There are some real issues to complain about if you happen to have a 2013, and my 2010 was also problem prone, but this is a very solid machine - and one that appears to the result of a lot of learned lessons and response to what we've put on our wish lists. So, the back tire wears out a bit quickly. Big F------ Deal.

Spyder Garage

Default SOFTER REAR TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    As some here have already noticed, BRP has brought back the rear tire compound for the Spyder RT from 2012 and prior. Since this June, any rear tire ordered will last longer (at the expense of some high-speed performance) than the pre-May '14 tire that generated certain longevity concerns.

Note that the pre-May '14 2014 tire is not defective - the compound used was softer so it was considered a higher-performing tire, but it did not achieve the same mileage as previous (and the previous and now current) tire compound.

A production change took place in June. All Spyders produced from that date ship have a rear tire with the longer lasting compound. Although we saw many benefits from the newer, softer tire compound, we heard the concerns folks about longevity and decided to revert back to the previous one.
    Thank you Steve,

For the great information. The increased performance was quite noticeable in the softer tire, I really like'd it! I replaced it with a Kumho (which I also like), but can tell the difference in the twisties. Thank you for taking time to give us the info.

There must be some of the softer tires still out at dealers or somewhere. Anybody know where I can get a couple?

Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsm69 View Post
    But it is a "higher performance Kenda" tire on the '14's. Those three words look odd together.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I expect that the soft rubber formulation sticks to the road much better than the one they have gone back to. Hardly anyone will notice the difference because hardly anyone rides that close to the edge. I used to ride close to the edge on two wheels and I would gladly accept 2500 miles on a set of tires rather than risk the poor traction of a car or even cruiser tire. I didn't buy a Spyder for that kind of riding. BRP just made a bad judgement call using a formulation that is way overkill for the intended use. I just appreciate that they were man enough to admit it and tell everybody. In the automotive world, mid year design changes like this one happen all the time but the public never hears about it.