Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I don't think I was complaining . . . just stating that I think BRP should offer both types of tires and let the owner decide which tire is a better suited for that particular owner's riding profile, rather than making one choice for us all . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Steve, thank you for the heads up. I still will be putting on a car tire, though....h

Spyder Garage

I don't mean to get on any one person or any single post. I'm just throwing my thoughts into the ring along with everyone else's. This pie is much bigger than we may realize.

Race car tires cost hundreds of dollars each and don't even get to the end of a 500 mile race. If money were no object I'm sure BRP could come up with a tire that would get both more miles and better traction. There are quite a few parameters that BRP is trying to maximize. It appears that they are genuinely TRYING to align their priorities with ours. But you know that even we don't agree among ourselves. Take just the subject of oil, for example.

Believe me, it can be a very tough, if not near impossible task.

Some manufacturers would never post on any forum like this. I know that all of us appreciate BRP's involvement here. My concern is if we beat them up for trying, they may quit. None of us want that.

I, for one, very much appreciate that BRP makes meaningful posts here on Spyderlovers. We are free to complain when we need to. And we can also say thank you when we get a positive response from the manufacturer.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ron...
    But I like Canola oil...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i have been thinking about this, and than that's when i get in trouble. after some thought i feel they don't need to replace the tires for us. if the tire was defective or unsafe i would demand a replacement. but being it is a safe tire and just has less tread life than i changed my mind about the whole issue. now if we could find a better griping tire with longer tread life that would be the tire they should supply when you buy a buy a bike or replace the tire you have.
    well i did change my mind
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I have been somewhat surprised at all the discussions on the longevity of the rear tires. Over 35 years of 2 wheel riding i never got 10k out of a rear tire. The lowest mileage was on soft compound tires for my Suzuki Katana 1100, perhaps 4k, but oh boy would that thing stick.

Now I have an RT, along with a ST1100, and for the RT I would prefer the harder compound but I do like Hayfield's comment about offering a performance tire vs a touring tire. I'll be 'sticking' with the Kendas. I do thoroughly enjoy other peoples perspectives though.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When the new OEM tires that wore out so quickly... doesn't it make you wonder why they are going back to the old compound ????????? If they were so safe... why change ????? ...kinda a little double talk I think

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    doesn't it make you wonder why they are going back to the old compound ?????????
    Many Spyder owners complained that the later tyres didn't last as long as the original harder compound. No double talk!
    Soft compounds give more grip than hard compounds but don't last for as many miles. So BRP have gone back to the old harder compound
    as a response to all of the complaints. There was nothing wrong with the softer compound from a safety point of view but they
    simply didn't last as long.

Registered Users
    Tri Cities of Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville
    Spyder Garage

Default Differ'nt Strokes

How about the softer compound on the RS & ST and harder on the RT. . . . or would that make sense.
    Allen B.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adlereins View Post
    How about the softer compound on the RS & ST and harder on the RT. . . . or would that make sense.
    Allen B.
    How about putting the RT on a diet so it doesn't wear tires out so fast?... [emoji12]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adlereins View Post
    Allen B.
    Doing a bit of speculation my feeling is that with the greater low end torque with the 1330 ACE motor, BRP may have wanted to give that rear tire a bit more grip. You're getting a double whammy. Higher torque needs more traction. But at the same time higher torque is harder on a tire resulting in far less tire mileage.

Those who want their cake and eat it too are often disappointed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

glad you posted this info. I have had great results with Kenda and now understand this change...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am glad that BRP is listening to us and made the change, but I do find it interesting that when I changed out the softer more grippy stock rear tire for a harder 4 ply car tire (Kumho Ecsta AST) tire that the handling improved along with the milage (9000 miles and still looking good).
    I do think that the Spyder being classified as a motorcycle hurts BRP ability to source tires since they have to put on motorcycle specified tires and there just not a lot of tire companies that will outlay the cash to build so few tires.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default A note on tire compounds.

I just traded in my '10 with a bald rear tire that was put on in Apr of '13. It only had 11k on it. The original factory tire it replaced had 14k and still had some tread life left but had a puncture. Is there a way to tell if the '14 RT-Ltd I just bought has the softer compound? Or do I just have to wait for it to wear out?

Spyder Phyl
    2014 RT-Ltd, Cognac and Time Black 2010 RT-622 trailer.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dtkennney View Post
    Thanks for the post. I will go back to the Kenda on my next tire change. It would also be nice to have another manufacturer qualified. It is tough to pay $179 for a two ply tire when you can get a 4 ply for under $90.
    So why buy the Kenda when you can get a better tire for a lot less money? I haven't had an OEM tire on my 2010 RT which has 52,000 miles since I replaced it at 10,000 miles with a Kumho Ecsta and have been using Kumho ever since.. The Spyder has no idea what kind of tire I install and the way I drive I surely don't need a softer compound. But to each his own.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    When the new OEM tires that wore out so quickly... doesn't it make you wonder why they are going back to the old compound ????????? If they were so safe... why change ????? ...kinda a little double talk I think
    He told us exactly why they changed. Very straightforward. No double talk at all.

Or did you actually read it?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    You all complain about everything! Wow!! Like a room full of senior citizens and children!

Softer compound tires grip better and provide superior performance while sacrificing tread life. They are not "substandard" or "low quality". Many performance nuts pay MORE for softer compound performance tires because grip is more important than tread life.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Too many posts to read all of the comments.
    Nevertheless, I'll chime in with my own. I'm sure others have said this already.

I appreciate the fact that BRP is trying to improve the tires. I am pleased that they seem responsive to our needs.
    However in my opinion, the best improvement would be to make the specifications more general, ie size and air pressure, and allow other manufacturers to supply tires to the Spyder.

That way, individuals could tailor the tires on their Spyders to match their own riding style.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 10-31-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

If BRP would like to improve their rear tire, they would make it so it the tire wear would be even across the tire. Wear mileage would greatly improve with a better designed tire. This is why using car tires gives you better results without sacrificing traction.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    As some here have already noticed, BRP has brought back the rear tire compound for the Spyder RT from 2012 and prior. Since this June, any rear tire ordered will last longer (at the expense of some high-speed performance) than the pre-May '14 tire that generated certain longevity concerns.

Note that the pre-May '14 2014 tire is not defective - the compound used was softer so it was considered a higher-performing tire, but it did not achieve the same mileage as previous (and the previous and now current) tire compound.

A production change took place in June. All Spyders produced from that date ship have a rear tire with the longer lasting compound. Although we saw many benefits from the newer, softer tire compound, we heard the concerns folks about longevity and decided to revert back to the previous one.
    Are both tire compounds available from BRP dealers or has Kenda stopped producing the softer tire.

Thanks
    Paul

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't mean to get on any one person or any single post. I'm just throwing my thoughts into the ring along with everyone else's. This pie is much bigger than we may realize.

Race car tires cost hundreds of dollars each and don't even get to the end of a 500 mile race. If money were no object I'm sure BRP could come up with a tire that would get both more miles and better traction. There are quite a few parameters that BRP is trying to maximize. It appears that they are genuinely TRYING to align their priorities with ours. But you know that even we don't agree among ourselves. Take just the subject of oil, for example.

Believe me, it can be a very tough, if not near impossible task.

Some manufacturers would never post on any forum like this. I know that all of us appreciate BRP's involvement here. My concern is if we beat them up for trying, they may quit. None of us want that.

I, for one, very much appreciate that BRP makes meaningful posts here on Spyderlovers. We are free to complain when we need to. And we can also say thank you when we get a positive response from the manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaSpyder View Post
    I have been somewhat surprised at all the discussions on the longevity of the rear tires. Over 35 years of 2 wheel riding i never got 10k out of a rear tire. The lowest mileage was on soft compound tires for my Suzuki Katana 1100, perhaps 4k, but oh boy would that thing stick.

Now I have an RT, along with a ST1100, and for the RT I would prefer the harder compound but I do like Hayfield's comment about offering a performance tire vs a touring tire. I'll be 'sticking' with the Kendas. I do thoroughly enjoy other peoples perspectives though.

Voices of reason!!!! Thank you BRP.

​Chris (There are others too. Just chose these two.)

Spyder Garage

The ole tire discussion

Thanks for the info Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I don't think I was complaining . . . just stating that I think BRP should offer both types of tires and let the owner decide which tire is a better suited for that particular owner's riding profile, rather than making one choice for us all . . .
    What you said makes sense, and from Kenda's standpoint, it should be possible. I noticed that the tread pattern on the '14s were different than on my '12, so use the newer mold for the softer material, and the older mold for the harder material. Now you have 2 tires that you can visibly see the difference, one for touring, and one for performance.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    He told us exactly why they changed. Very straightforward. No double talk at all.

Or did you actually read it?
    Yep I read it.. but I don't buy their excuse... a $160 2 ply tire ? and it won't last 10K miles... I did not buy a race bike...I bought a RT... so I don't need a race tire..... my GoldWing's tires lasted a lot longer... so don't tell me no one can build a better tire..... & I for one won't buy another Kenda, .. there are other better choices..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    So why buy the Kenda when you can get a better tire for a lot less money?
    There are a couple of reasons that could come into play...
    1. You have a dealer who won't slap anything but a Kenda on the bike...
    2. You're worried about insurance companies denying claims if your tires don't carry the "Approved for Motorcycle use" stamp of approval.

Run what your conscience allows...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black