Thread: Riding double

Spyder Garage

Question Riding double

I have a question about riding double and what actions the passenger should take in turns. A little background about my/our experience first. I have ridden motorcycles since the late 1940’s. In the early 1960’s I rode with a passenger for about 1 year and have not ridden two up since. I purchased the spyder a few weeks ago specifically to be able to ride with my wife who has never ridden on a motorcycle before. I have only a little over 700 miles experience on the spyder and about 75% of that riding double.

I have had a struggle with the feeling of tipping over in the turns that most of us have had . I have read a lot of posts on newbie problems and it is getting better. I am getting to feel safer during the turns when I am riding by myself but feel very uneasy when riding double. I am not sure why this is a problem. I realize the addition of the weight and higher center of gravity will make change how the spyder corners. I read and see posts on the forum from people who ride double all the time for long distances and must feel safe doing so. I am not sure what the passenger is supposed to do in turns. We have searched on the net and some say lean with the driver, others say do not lean with the driver and one said to actually lean to the outside. We have tried different things but it is a very unsafe feeling for me. At this point I am not sure if it is my doing something wrong, her doing something wrong, the spyder has a problem or just a mental issue with my feelings. I love riding the spyder one up but it is not a pleasant experience when we are two up. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate any input.

Thank you - Gary C

Spyder Garage

When I bought my first spyder in 2011 I had the same feeling. In a turn I felt that I was being pushed to the outside of the turn, so to correct this when I am making a turn I dip the shoulder down that is on the inside of the turn and it really felt good. I am not leaning I am just dipping the shoulder down. My wife has caught on and now does it also and the turns are no worries for us.

This is of course our way of solving the feeling of being thrown off to the outside of the turn.

Be Safe, I am sure more will give you input also
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Hi Gary,

We ride two up abot 90% of the time and have put on over 15,000 miles this year with about a 60/40 split we me being the driver/passanger. as the driver I do not notice my wife behind me except for acceleration (faster when alone).

I do keep the speed down to only 10 over the posted limit in the curves, but that is due to my wife not liking me taking them at a higher speed. When riding alone I tend to see how mant times I can get nanny to actavate.

I have yet felt that my Spyder will tip over even pusing it at the limit of traction.

When I am the passanger I have done both leaning into the curve with my wife as well as sitting strait up and it did not appear to make a differance to my wife, but she will ride at the posted spped for a curve.

If you have not done so have your alignment laser check to be sure your Spyder is handling as it should and check to be sure that the tire pressure in both front tires is at 18# and the rear is at 28#. This is what is recommended in the manual and is a good starting point. I run 20# front and 28# rear.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just have her, follow your lead...
    Do you have an intercom system? If she's not comfortable, or has a question; give her the ability to speak up.
    And listen to what she tells you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife and I rode 2-up on various Goldwings for 14 years and we rode quite aggressively at times. She would always lean to the inside with me in the turns. We don't have a lot of time on the Spyder yet but I have found it improves stability to lean pretty far to the inside in tight turns. She was already accustomed to leaning and did it quite naturally.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hognut View Post
    I have a question about riding double and what actions the passenger should take in turns. A little background about my/our experience first. I have ridden motorcycles since the late 1940’s. In the early 1960’s I rode with a passenger for about 1 year and have not ridden two up since. I purchased the spyder a few weeks ago specifically to be able to ride with my wife who has never ridden on a motorcycle before. I have only a little over 700 miles experience on the spyder and about 75% of that riding double.

I have had a struggle with the feeling of tipping over in the turns that most of us have had . I have read a lot of posts on newbie problems and it is getting better. I am getting to feel safer during the turns when I am riding by myself but feel very uneasy when riding double. I am not sure why this is a problem. I realize the addition of the weight and higher center of gravity will make change how the spyder corners. I read and see posts on the forum from people who ride double all the time for long distances and must feel safe doing so. I am not sure what the passenger is supposed to do in turns. We have searched on the net and some say lean with the driver, others say do not lean with the driver and one said to actually lean to the outside. We have tried different things but it is a very unsafe feeling for me. At this point I am not sure if it is my doing something wrong, her doing something wrong, the spyder has a problem or just a mental issue with my feelings. I love riding the spyder one up but it is not a pleasant experience when we are two up. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate any input.

Thank you - Gary C

Hi Gary,

Install a Baja Ron sway bar and links..... It made a HUGE difference while 2 up riding on our 14' which is 90% of the time. I as the driver notice it while riding alone, but it really, really shines 2 up. Tell your passenger to lean slightly in the direction of the corner, and check your tire pressure, and make sure the fronts are identical. I also have a feeling some more miles will help.-Good Luck
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

When I first got my Spyder, my girlfriend was terrified after our first ride. she felt like she was going to fly off in turns. I felt her squirming a bit and it was moving the bike around. Once I put on passenger armrests, she seemed more secure which settled the bike down. Now i can see her in the rear view holding her arms out to the side and enjoying the breeze. I do adjust my entry speed into turns with her on. The extra weight does make the bike want to continue in a straight line!
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

We both lean into the turn. No concern about tipping over . Be sure shocks are set right for the weight, also check tire pressure settings.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
    We both lean into the turn. No concern about tipping over . Be sure shocks are set right for the weight, also check tire pressure settings.
    His front shocks are not adjustable.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Lots of help above.

Basic turning information:
    : I always enter the turn from the inside and work my way over to the outside, without crossing the center line.

: Speed should be such that you can accelerate slightly as you are going into the turn. If you need to brake, you are going to fast.

: I plant my foot on the outside side of the turn and lean a bit into the turn.

With passenger added:
    : Communication is good, but after a bunch of miles, the passenger should be in harmony with your driving style.

: Passenger should mimic the movements of the driver with foot placement and leaning. To do otherwise, will make the feel funny.

: Practice slowly on some twisties if possible. I have five miles of them here with 5 or so 15 mph curves. When I started out, the 15 mph were taken at 10 or less mph. Once my passenger felt confident that the was not going off the road, or going to tip over, speed was gradually increased with comfort levels.

: She now drives her own , and we usually take those 15's at 25 or so plus. No crossing the center line or feeling that the will end up in the ditch.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

if your comfortable ryding solo your passenger should follow your lead and you should slow down a bit till your both comfortable...you can do as mentioned above to improve handling...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My wife has ridden with me both on two and three wheels. When we rode on two wheels she'd just relax and follow my lead. Worked like a charm. When we went to three wheels I told her to do the same. When I go into a turn I lean even though the Spyder doesn't. My wife follows my lead again and all works out just fine.

A lot of it is learning to relax, really.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

: Passenger should mimic the movements of the driver with foot placement and leaning. To do otherwise, will make the feel funny

pretty much all you need to know. Don't over think it
    2013 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

My wife insisted on going on her inaugural Spyder ride on a beautiful Tarheel blue sky day yesterday. Although she has very little experience riding two up on anything other than a tandem bicycle I told her to hold onto the hand grips and follow my lead leaning into the corners. She did exactly that and even pressed her knees against my hips the way I do against the tank. That gave us a sense of team leaning just as on the tandem. Since it was her first ride I too kept the speed at the posted limit. Practice should bring more confidence.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Gary, my wife and I each came off of two wheels and only have a couple of months and about 2000 miles under our belts on our Spyder. With that said, just about everything that I've read here is consistent with my experience. The Spyder is an incredibly stable platform for riding solo or two up. Nobody is going to fly off and you're not going to tip over unless you're taking the machine beyond its reasonable limitations. Take it easy as you and your wife get used to the Spyder, don't test any limits, and don't let the gremlins play around and multiply in your head.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thank you

I want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. We read the posts and did see some things we can try as far as body positions etc. I have been playing with tire pressures etc. I do have a handling problem with pulling to the right that I have on another post and am trying to get the alignment done. The comments of speed in the corners I am comfortable solo riding with 5-10 mph over posted and 10 mph under riding two up. I guess it is a head game I have to deal with more than a spyder issue . Again thank you all for the suggestions, This is a great forum with people willing to help. - Gary C

Spyder Garage

Default Gary, in addition to the

Quote Originally Posted by hognut View Post
    I want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. We read the posts and did see some things we can try as far as body positions etc. I have been playing with tire pressures etc. I do have a handling problem with pulling to the right that I have on another post and am trying to get the alignment done. The comments of speed in the corners I am comfortable solo riding with 5-10 mph over posted and 10 mph under riding two up. I guess it is a head game I have to deal with more than a spyder issue . Again thank you all for the suggestions, This is a great forum with people willing to help. - Gary C
    alignment, have them check to see if a brake caliper is hanging up a little, and install the sway bar.
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gary,
    I'm glad to hear that you're making progress!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black