Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Eliminating "NANNY"

I'm thinking of building a show and go bike.
    Has anyone ever tried to redo the computer
    to eliminate the Nanny. Or replacing it with
    an after market.

thanks
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The VSS is so integral, that it'd be a monster chore.
    DrewNJ got his bike to run without a bunch of the sensors in place, but as I recall; it's still pretty far from perfect.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have been an engineer on the development team of several powertrain and antilock brake control modules for the automotive industry. The scope of that task, especially the software, is much greater than you would think. It is beyond the competence level of all but the most elite aftermarket designers. The Spyder market is so small that I doubt that any company with the necessary resources would be willing to undertake that task. The liability risk alone would discourage most developers.

I don't understand why anyone would want to disable such an invaluable feature. Stability control and ABS is why I chose the Spyder. I think it would be a very skilled rider indeed who could safely outperform an identical stock Spyder with these systems disabled.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 10-20-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALL THINGS CONSIDERED ?

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    an after market.

thanks
    .....My question is WHY is this necessary.................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 12-27-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default If so..!!

let us know...photos of the show part would be nice especially before the "go" part... doable but tough..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As more of a sport bike rider, I can totally understand WHY someone would want to disable the Nanny...but HOW is the operative question. Seems like the system is integrated throughout the bike.
    I have learned to ryde within the limitations of the Nanny...but let me tell you, I still yearn for that adrenaline provided by the 90's Suzuki GL1000.

I LOVE my Spyders, but one of the major contributors to the younger crowd not going "all-in" for them is the performance limiting features of the Nanny. I know my '08 GS is much more tolerant that our ST or any RT I've ridden...and I hear the F3 is even more forgiving. BRP is moving in the right direction on those models targeted for a slightly younger audience.

Spyder Garage

And the F-3 is.

Chris

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It would be nice to disable it for a short time when needed. We almost got hit when the nanny decided to override my request for critical acceleration when pulling out onto a highway. Very rare times it's needed, but a temporary override would be great in some situations.

Spyder Garage

I am thinking that warranty would probably be voided for sure.

I can see wanting to take the to the edge and beyond for some.

Can see safety and legal issues with this though.

If you do it, let us know how it works. It's your .

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that by the time you realized that you needed to override it, and actually did; Nanny would have already saved your bacon...
    BRP was pretty close to shelving the entire idea of the reverse-tike... until Bosch came on board, with the VSS system.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    an after market.

thanks
    The bike would not be a daily driver. Although it would need to be street
    leagel to be driven to shows. VSS and the ABS would need to go as well
    as the Nanny telling me I am hitting the gas to fast. Also thinking of
    independent front and rear braking. I know some may think I'm nuts
    LOL well I am. But again this is something I'm thinking about.

Thanks All

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If it's so detrimental then why has the new F3 got a less "involved" nanny?
    Why do so many cars have an override button, to turn off the Traction Control?

I think it's a good idea to be able to turn it off at least, for when you want to be "Silly" on the thing... Not me (of course), I just understand that some guys & gals want / need to be "Silly" sometimes!

Spyder Garage

I haven't done this, as I think I would hurt myself lolol. I have an ST SM5. When you pull the clutch lever in
    there is a little piece/tag on the lever that actually pushes in pressure switch which tells nanny that the clutch
    is engaged, so she has no need to worry/kick in, just wait until the clutch is released before she wakes up.
    So in essence if you can keep that pressure switch closed all the time, nanny thinks that the clutch is in and
    there is no need to worry.
    As I said, I haven't done this, but I can promise you that the guy who told me knows the Spyder and all other
    BRP/Canam Products very well.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Interesting...

very interesting

Spyder Garage

The only thing I'd want to disable is the wait to read the warning label before starting. In three years of riding this thing I haven't come up against any other situation where I'd want Nanny off.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I don't know how well Bosch implemented the stability controls on the Spyders but they have a very good reputation in the automotive world. I would expect they did a good job.

It has been shown time after time after time that cars equipped with traction control (part of VSS) will accelerate faster on slippery roads than the same model without it, even though it doesn't feel that way to the driver. Spinning tires do not accelerate a vehicle nearly as well as those with less power and no slip. The controller can sense slip in less than one tire revolution and take appropriate action to cut torque and restore traction. Human beings simply can't do that.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps I need to describe my "acting silly" moment in a little more detail. Actually, it started with a stupid mistake (doesn't it allways?) I had to check our GPS map and found what I thought was a good spot. We were in a coastal area of Maine on a two lane and I found what looked like a good pull-off point. It was a gravel road with a fairly steep incline and I was pulling a heavily loaded trailer. AS I pulled off, the coast was clear and it looked to be a easy spot to get back on the road. I thought I was smart and pulled up and backed up the hill to get a good start back onto the road. I then noticed that by getting a good running start that put me back too far to see around the slight curve of the road in each direction. I could not back up any farther so I stuck. I got my bearings in a few minutes and in that time no cars had went past in either direction. I listened as well as I could and hearing nothing, I took off. As soon as I was committed, a speeder came around the curve on my left. I nailed the throttle and the bike responded. We were then heading straight towards the edge of a pretty deep drop-off on the other side of the road. The bike cleared the speeders lane and I had to quickly turn left (almost straight 90 degrees). At this point, everyone should know what happened. The left wheel left the ground and the nanny cut power by at least 50%. I was very lucky to have enough momentum at that point to get the trailer out of the way, but I am here to tell you it was very close. That is one situation where the nanny almost caused an accident. What did I learn?
    1. When towing a trailer, allow much more time and distance when entering roads.
    2. Always be constantly aware of the restrictions of what the nanny will allow you to do.
    3. Plan ahead.
    I was not "acting silly", just trying to survive and keep my wife and equipment safe. I agree the liability for BRP would be too great for something like this, but I am wondering how the RT Gold Wing conversions do it without the VSS system. You don't hear of them having problems. And, since they have loosened up the nanny on the F5, maybe they have these set too tight.
    I think the modification should be in the inertial sensor. I know mine is too sensitive. I can take curves and not raise either wheel and the nanny will dampen down if it thinks there is too much g force.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

this guy did

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    this guy did

WHY, WHY

jmho

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bosch's system monitors far more than wheelspin, or brake lockup...
    It'll shut down power, and apply braking forces to individual wheels, if it thinks that you're getting close to flipping over.

That "360 Burnout"; was impressive; I wonder how much unplugging it took to allow that much steering angle, and wheelspin?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can't compare the SlingShot, to a Spyder...
    It's a much wider vehicle, and the center of gravity is also a lot lower...
    For this application; a VSS system may not be needed.
    But I'm pretty happy to have "Nanny" as a Co-Pilot on my Spyder! (Glitches and all...)

Spyder Garage

I sold a perfectly good Goldwing rather than having it triked and bought the Spyder for much more money instead. I did so even though I am convinced that Goldwings are, by far, the most reliable motorcycles on the road. The reason I did so is stability control, traction control and anti-lock brakes. I have seen or heard of several Wing trikes which suddenly lifted a rear wheel and flipped over in a high speed turn. I am looking for a ride that reduces that risk.

There are cases where seat belts have caused people to lose their lives. But, in the overwhelming majority of car wrecks, the person with the seat belt buckled is the one who survives the crash. I think the same thing is true concerning Spyder ABS and stability control.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you
    Generally speaking; it's much better to have it; than to NOT have it...