Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I did the same thing, Jack, and feel about the same! Traded a 2013 RT-L for a 2014 RT-S for a little over $6M. I did NOT put any money into trying a fix for the 2013 heat. I figured I didn't create the design problem and I was not going to pay to fix it. At least I saved those $$$. My biggest worry was burning down the house. I would come back from a ride and be hesitant to put her in the garage with fuel fumes and the 2013 reputation of self immolation! I hated to reward BRP with more $$$ for even putting the 2013 design out on the hi way, but I have to admit, I REALLY love riding the 2014! Ride on!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    sounds like you are on the right track to making a good machine even better enjoy your project you should have a great outcome.

I'm in the same boat with our 2013 RTS. I had hopes that with all of the news about RS's getting panel replacements that our RTSs would have the same option but so far..... not

BRP replaced my evap & purge at our 600 mile service too. Seems better but the weather is WAYYYY cooler now and I've not done any really long rides since.

I had a plan of attack before I ever went to the dealer, so that's where I'm headed this winter. (with help from a conversation I had with Randy in Bellingham)

1) Cat bypass - $?
    2) Wrap the exhaust - $30
    3) Wrap the gas tank - $30
    4) Cut out patterns to insulate the panels - $30
    5) I will probably move/remove the canister just for more air flow space - Just take it out. It's all good! - $5
    6) aftermarket air cleaner (also for more air flow space) - $200
    7) I may modify (shorten) the belly pan for more air flow. Some folks have taken it off entirely - Just take them off. They serve no purpose other than to keep hot air inside the Tupperware - FREE!
    8 ) Finally I'm going to figure out how to get some air flowing thru there from up front. I'll have a better idea of how once I get all the tupperware off - Duct air from the fog light pods. $?

The 'engine compartment' needs air flow or the heat isn't pushed out. It just builds and builds.
    You've got 2 heat sources/zones. 3 actually but one seems less significant.

-The radiator is on the right side and has a thick plastic 'wall' that directs all of its heat out the right side vents. None of that air (as I originally believed) blows thru the engine compartment. 2014 moved this stuff way up front btw.

-The oil cooler is on the left side and that air flow is also blocked, flowing out the left vent.

-Behind these forward walls is the almost entirely enclosed engine compartment. As far as I can tell (until I get all the tupp off) there is no air flow engineered into this chamber at all. Engine heat, exhaust headers (2014 headers run under/outside the belly pan) & tranny heat all radiate there. and that's where the gas tank is! The cat is behind and below the engine but its huge and blocks another pathway for air to flow thru and out. The rear of this compartment is open so there is somewhere (albiet seriously congested) for air to escape, but the hot air won't leave unless pushed out.

Header wrap is easily available. The other wrap needs to be the 'pressed fiberglass' type stuff with the foil backing that is bought in sheets. Not the sound-deadener/asphalt stuff as it will get soft in the heat. It can be glued on with hi-temp spray adhesive or that aluminum tape stuff. Randy said, "takes about a day"

It's not 'pennies' to do all this, but certainly way less than what you or I would lose by selling or trading up! Maybe we should have an 'Insulating Party' one nice weekend at my place! I'll fire up the BBQ! Drop me a note
    [/QUOTE]

This is the way to do it. I predict success. Please let us know how it goes!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cat bypass $349 pitbull powersports will solve the major part of your heat issue get rid of the oven under the gas tank you wont have all the gas purge issues.
    Last edited by mstngken; 10-23-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

For the life of me I do not get why a bypass with a bullet cat has not been made yet. It would leave the area wide open for air flow and avoid the warranty issues ( as well as fed law).
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I too have had the problem. I also have a problem with MPG.
    Here is my post. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...3638-Fuel-Vent
    Based on this I have found out 2 things.
    1) I'm not as smart as I thought I was, because I couldn't believe that my fuel was heating up that much.
    2) The fuel is getting very hot.
    The only fix I see is to get rid of the heat.
    Matter of fact heat is probably 75% of the problems we all have on this Spyder
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstngken View Post
    Cat bypass $349 pitbull powersports will solve the major part of your heat issue get rid of the oven under the gas tank you wont have all the gas purge issues.
    Well that did not work in my case. I wish it would have.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Well that did not work in my case. I wish it would have.

Jack
    Jack, I have a friend in Las Vegas who tried the bypass on his ST, in addition to wrapping, the new panels and the recalls and it didn't fix his issues either.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Jack, I have a friend in Las Vegas who tried the bypass on his ST, in addition to wrapping, the new panels and the recalls and it didn't fix his issues either.
    Just makes me wonder if some engines are running hotter than others I put the cat bypass and the air panels on my 13 rss (not much diff than an st panel wise). On a 90 deg day I had the gas smell when parked and my fuel tank was burning hot after the changes my temp was down one sometimes two bars the only time my fan runs is if I got stuck in traffic and now with the ohio weather I dont think my fan has come on. When I run down the road now at 55 60 I only show 2 bars.

Spyder Garage

Default Seriously

Just wonder how many have wrapped , replaced, fill half way you other vehicles like your cars, boats, Sea-Doo's... NONE... because they don't have this problem. Every time I see one of these posts with 10 suggestions being made to get rid of a gas smell it drives me nuts. Glad you all have all this extra money to spend making a product your bought work the way it should, but some of us are just not willing to do it... BRP is amazing.. they get you to trade in defective product for new product to rid yourself of issues... and as long as everyone keeps doing it, things won't change. They are masters at product refresh... Enablers we all are.... I love my 2011 RT, and really love the new F3, but no way would I invest any more in a company the deals with customers in this manner. Just glad my Sea-Doo does not have these kinds of issues. Rant over..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do you do when Life hands you a Lemon?
    I'd just rather make Lemonade; than curse the sourness.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow Acoutability?

Will only come if and when it is forced. But, their SL rah rah team will provide cover for free. Free? By most.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A lemon or a grove of lemon trees.. I understand why people are doing what they do, the Spyder is unique toy.. but if there was some competition, bet your sweet you know what, BRP would have done something. How many people get a lemon car, and go back and buy another from the same manufacturer.. My swag... not too many.. I can see it now, my Toyota Rave 4 is a piece of junk, smells like gas, drive in the heat and my ass is burning up.. But hi Mr dealer, let me buy another one.. A'int happening.. Honda here I come...

they have a captive audience... but that may change soon...others will play in this arena... if they haven't already started.
    Last edited by Dizneyman; 10-23-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    A lemon or a grove of lemon trees.. I understand why people are doing what they do, the Spyder is unique toy.. but if there was some competition, bet your sweet you know what, BRP would have done something. How many people get a lemon car, and go back and buy another from the same manufacturer.. My swag... not too many.. I can see it now, my Toyota Rave 4 is a piece of junk, smells like gas, drive in the heat and my ass is burning up.. But hi Mr dealer, let me buy another one.. A'int happening.. Honda here I come...

they have a captive audience... but that may change soon...others will play in this arena... if they haven't already started.
    Toyota, Honda, GM none of them have a good running record and have had MAJOR recalls I would not brag about owning any of them!

And the point im try to make had the government not stepped in on these mfg's because none of them care about the buyer all they care about is sales numbers the consumer is one to suffer sound like whats going on here
    Last edited by mstngken; 10-23-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just makes me wonder if some engines are running hotter than others
    I believe that is the case. For example, with the recall last year that checked for melted parts, some bikes were affected, some were not. How is that? I don't believe it is the area of the country you live in because there were cases up north as well. I ride mine all the time during the summer in plenty of 90+ degree days and my heat was never as excessive as what I have heard others complain about. I never had boiling gas either, even after multi-hour rides. I don't think all bikes are affected. I think it is isolated. Maybe a batch of vendor parts or a production issue???

the Spyder is unique toy.. but if there was some competition, bet your sweet you know what, BRP would have done something.
    You are 100% on the mark there. If there was competition, then things would be very different on a number of fronts.

Spyder Garage

Yes, Bob, but sometimes you need a little SUGAR to make decent lemonade!

Spyder Garage

My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5, I did not have any issues with the smell of gas or any other issues, I think someone else posted on this thread " that they did not have any issues with the 2012RT-S SE5. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

None of this matters, when you consider the original post...
    Why bring it up now?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas fumes

Just makes me wonder if some engines are running hotter than others I put the cat bypass and the air panels on my 13 rss (not much diff than an st panel wise). On a 90 deg day I had the gas smell when parked and my fuel tank was burning hot after the changes my temp was down one sometimes two bars the only time my fan runs is if I got stuck in traffic and now with the ohio weather I dont think my fan has come on. When I run down the road now at 55 60 I only show 2 bars.
    I have a 2012 RT Limited an was having strong gas fumes. I wrapped the pipes and replaced the air box. That stopped the gas fumes an gave me better mpg. Now the gas fumes have come back and can't find it. I took everything off an got it hot but couldn't find it. Am going to do that again while it is sitting in the sun. I hope I find it. I am thinking of wrapping as much of the front & bottom of gas tank. RJ

Spyder Garage

None of this matters, when you consider the original post...
    Why bring it up now?

Cause I was replying to your comment to me...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our spyder must have different issues, I had fuel fumes issue before but went away after I did fueled carefully not spill. Fuel smell will stay for a long time as I noted. I will do the #4 you mentioned and keep on BRP inform what's the progress with your dealer issues. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod