Spyder Garage

Default Daytona and the F3

What a great time in Daytona this year. Got to spend 4 days, not full days but four days on the F3 and I loved it. The more I ride it the more I love it. This is by far the most fun I've ever had on a Spyder. The power is great and just enough pull to give you that rush that I use to get from my bikes. In fact it is more like riding a motorcycle than ever other than I can roll through the turns much faster than any bike I've owned including my F6B Honda.

I have a good idea how fast I can take a curve on a Spyder and I'm able to take those same turns much faster now and still feel safe. As a matter of fact I've yet to find the edge yet to where I need to back off. I'm sure with more saddle time I'll be able to find that edge.

I know of three new mods I'll be doing for sure after spending some time watching others on the F3.

The response was great and I think the only problem BRP will have is making enough for the demand. This is not for everyone but it has brought a new group in that is younger and not looking at the Spyder as something they would ride when they got too old to hold up a bike. The cool factor has them looking at the F3. Another thing I noticed was that folks that had looked at the Spyder before and didn't like it are now loving the F3 mostly because of the look first and then as soon as they sit on it they say it feels more like a motorcycle now. That fact that you sit in the F3 and not on in makes a big difference.

Lots of new blood for the F3 but there were a lot of RS and ST owners trading in and quite a few RT owners too. I think the used market for Spyders will be flooded right at first. Might be a good time for a good deal.

Can't wait to start on mine and make it the way I have it in my head. This Spyder will be a keeper for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default engine heat

how is the engine heat in stop and go traffic? was it hot in daytona ?you know what an issue it's always been for alot of folks.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Kind of hard to say. It wasn't too warm on Thursday when we had our demo ryde. I did notice a little heat on my right foot towards the end but no more than I would expect close to an uncovered engine. It wasn't uncomfortably warm but it was enough that I noticed it. Living here in Florida it can be a concern but I still think we will be adding this one to our garage.

CJ JAX

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine heat

I did not notice any heat at all on my ride Saturday.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

sounds like you had a great time. Glad your enjoying this new machine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Kind of hard to say. It wasn't too warm on Thursday when we had our demo ryde. I did notice a little heat on my right foot towards the end but no more than I would expect close to an uncovered engine. It wasn't uncomfortably warm but it was enough that I noticed it. Living here in Florida it can be a concern but I still think we will be adding this one to our garage.

CJ JAX
    Do you recall what F3 rpm was at 68 mph?
    I am curious compared to gearing on 2014 RT-S SE6?
    I ran my 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 today in 5th gear for about 90 miles at 68 mph, 4,100 rpm as a test.
    I got 38.3 mpg (115 miles, 3.0 gal gas). Only a little less mpg as running RT in 6th gear.
    Thanks.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

I sure heard positive feedback about the F3 test rides from everyone I spoke with or saw postings from on any forum..... including some diehard RT folks
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default under 70 did not need 6th

When I test rode this weekend found that below 70 did not need 6 the gear. Don't recall exact rpm. Definitely a sweet ride. Funny seeing harley guy ride during the video portion was saying he would never like one but at end of ride he had a big s$%&;: grin on his face.

Moe
    2013 STS circuit yellow
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks
    Spyderpops Bump skid
    hmf muffler
    lamonster highway pegs
    2014 ST air flow panels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    I ran my 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 today in 5th gear for about 90 miles at 68 mph, 4,100 rpm as a test.
    I got 38.3 mpg (115 miles, 3.0 gal gas). Only a little less mpg as running RT in 6th gear.
    Thanks.
    Jim
    Sorry, wasn't looking for anything like that but I will try and remember to look on Wednesday. Thanks for the rpm info on your bike. I also have a 2014 RT-S SE6 but don't get anything close to that gas mileage. I will have to take a run and look at my RPMs and see how they compare to yours. If we get a chance to get up to a decent speed on Wednesday I will let you know what I find.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

GUESS that is the plus of living in the south. GET TO TRY ALL THE NEW PRODUCTS FIRST

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am a die hard RT lover and I rode the F3 Saturday and was blown away with the ride and feel and the power was
    awesome. It changed my mind completely about it and if I was in the market for a second bike I would consider the
    F3. Now would I trade my 2014 RTS for it, no! But I really like the F3 and once again I think BRP has a winner!
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Would love to hear what 3 mods you are planning, Lamont??
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    Would love to hear what 3 mods you are planning, Lamont??
    Ditto, ditto!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

If I was riding solo all the time I'd seriously think of trading in my RT for the F3. With my wife riding with me much of the time (which I love) I'm not so sure...

I love the ergonomics of the F3, though.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    If I was riding solo all the time I'd seriously think of trading in my RT for the F3. With my wife riding with me much of the time (which I love) I'm not so sure...

I love the ergonomics of the F3, though.
    I'm keeping my RT for two up and Joan and I will both have F3's to ride together. Not sure how many miles the RT will get but some for sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Thanks.
    Jim

Jim,
    Traffic and ryding in the group made it difficult but I got 4600 and 4650 @ 68 mph in 5th gear, 3900 in 6th gear. Fairly level stretch, no wind to speak, of 77 degrees. It might be a little lower with some wind protection. There is no screen on the demo bikes. I looked at my RT-S on the way to the demo and matched your 4,100 rpm ryding two up with the windscreen in the lowered position.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default +500 RPM

That supports the 500 RPM increase at highway cruising speed that was reported earlier on. The four tooth larger rear sprocket will give the already lighter F3 some awesome roll-on acceleration in passing situations. Downshifting to pass probably won't be necessary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Jim,
    Traffic and ryding in the group made it difficult but I got 4600 and 4650 @ 68 mph in 5th gear, 3900 in 6th gear. Fairly level stretch, no wind to speak, of 77 degrees. It might be a little lower with some wind protection. There is no screen on the demo bikes. I looked at my RT-S on the way to the demo and matched your 4,100 rpm ryding two up with the windscreen in the lowered position.

CJ JAX

CJ,
    Thanks for F3 rpm info. So appears our 2014 RT's in 5th gear are about same as F3 in 6th gear.
    F3 3900 rpm in 6th gear is about 500 rpm more than our RT's 3400 rpm in 6th gear.
    Wow, the F3 acceleration in 5th must be awesome with that gearing!!
    Sounds like you really enjoyed the 2nd F3 ryde!!!
    Appreciate the F3 info.
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I looked up in the parts catalog and the RT was listed with 28/79 front/rear sprockets, with the F3 at 28/89, or as someone quoted earlier, 12% taller gearing, equating to the ~500 rpm difference. Taller gearing = more grunt off the line and bit better throttle response. I'll wager there won't be anyone who likes the look and feel of the F3 that won't buy it because it gets 2 mpg less than the RT. Fact is, it will be getting over 20% better than the RS or ST.

Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 10-22-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap