Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default size run down, new guy stupid questions.

OK so a year ago I joined this forum. To date still haven't rode a spyder. But I have taken a beginners riders course and now have my official motorcycle license. I am torn on my thoughts about a spyder sometimes they look huge others they look small and silly. I need huge because I'm a big guy. I know some people will have opinions on this next statement, I'm also cheap. So I went to the dealer today and looked at an rss vs st and I know what an rt looks like. But size wise how do the 08 09 gs and other models compare in size. I remember looking last fall at an 09 gs5 auto, looked huge but it was in a driveway too with not frame of reference compared to other models. So the question is which non rt model is the biggest stance wise. Have any advice be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Actual Spyder size is close to the same for all models. Seating position is the big thing here. the other being solo or two up. I would say try it for your self, Most dealers have several model available to sit on, at least.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Very true. It's the stuff they hang on the different models that make them appear to be larger and smaller.

I wouldn't worry about size. How you look on the vehicle is way down the list from how much you enjoy it.

Get the one that you like to ride and the rest will take care of itself.

If I were a really big guy I think I'd be looking at the new F3/
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I appreciate the response and yes I was wrong thinking they were all the same except for trim. But the rss did look tiny in comparison to the st. I got passed on the interstate by an rt and even it seemed small idk seems like some look bigger than others.

Spyder Garage

Default lol

I agree baja I am doing it for the experience but looking cool never hurt either lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Actual Spyder size is close to the same for all models. Seating position is the big thing here. the other being solo or two up. I would say try it for your self, Most dealers have several model available to sit on, at least.
    Oldmanzues
    This answer nails it, IMO. The different models are more about riding position than size. I'm a big guy too, and I chose the RT, not so much because of size, but after riding the ST and the RT, the RT was a lot more comfortable for me. If you are going to be riding a lot with a passenger onboard, the RT may be the ticket for you. If not, then I would definitely take Ron's suggestions and find an opportunity to test ride one of the new F3's. That would probably have been my choice, had they been available when I bought the RT, since 95% of my riding is solo.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nattylightlover2 View Post
    OK so a year ago I joined this forum. To date still haven't rode a spyder. But I have taken a beginners riders course and now have my official motorcycle license. I am torn on my thoughts about a spyder sometimes they look huge others they look small and silly. I need huge because I'm a big guy. I know some people will have opinions on this next statement, I'm also cheap. So I went to the dealer today and looked at an rss vs st and I know what an rt looks like. But size wise how do the 08 09 gs and other models compare in size. I remember looking last fall at an 09 gs5 auto, looked huge but it was in a driveway too with not frame of reference compared to other models. So the question is which non rt model is the biggest stance wise. Have any advice be appreciated.
    I like your taste in beer, and it's got nothing to do on my end with being cheap. Good luck in choosing the best ride for you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RT ergonomics.jpgRS Ergonomics.jpgST Ergos.jpg
    I haven't found a comparative diagram, for the new F-3 yet...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-19-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Try different models to see which one you are comfortable with/on. To each his/or her own. I am a owner of a 14RTS-SE6 in Cognac. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default mep I agree

My taste in beer has nothing to do with being cheap it's just good beer

Spyder Garage

I appreciate the responses, but can anyone speak to the 08 09 models in comparison? They seem more with in my price range I like being debt free, even though I love the videos/pics of the f3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2008 and 2009 Spyders are identical (size-wise...), to the newer RS...
    Please note that all of the bikes ride on essentially the same frame. The differences, are in how the rider ergonomics are packaged...

Spyder Garage

Most of you forgot the word he mentioned. CHEAP
    I Wouldn't Concentrate On 08-09. Thereis Some Good Deals On Newer Models.
    Evevn The 13 There Is Some Good Deals. The 13 With Rs -rss Are Fine Machines.
    But What Your Looking At Is Fine Also. Double Check All Maintenance Records.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

I am 6'6" and 265# and I can tell you that my 2013 RS fits me fine. My 13 RS is the same unit as an 08/09 GS with some very minor cosmetic changes. If your looking to get into a Spyder I recommend picking up an 08/09 GS and modding it how you want. That's what I did with my RS. If your handy you can make a lot of accessories for it your self. I made my own highway pegs which gave me a way to stretch my legs on a longer ride. If your looking to save some money you can shop around and pick up an 08/09 GS for under $10,000 from a private party or $12,000 and under from a dealer. But much under that and you better have cash and be ready to jump.

FYI.. If you haven't noticed yet most people (not all) that comment on this site ride RT's and have never ridden a GS, RS or ST.
    Last edited by hchays; 10-19-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've ridden the three current available models...
    It'll come down to your wallet, and your choice of ergonomic packages.
    Happy Shopping!

Spyder Garage

Default Any and all...

08 on up the RS/GS are the same. When the RSS came out it joined that group. Then the RT came along in 10 with the full bagger thing. Then in 13 the ST came along bridging the gap between the GS/RS/RSS and the RT's. The RT's are all puffed out with the bags trunks big windshields etc. The GS/RS/RSS will look different because some add the larger windshields trunks and bags, any one or all. The ST's look a bit different because of the mix.

Pricewise...you can find great prices on the earlier models and many with low mileage but dealers also have old stock at similar prices. The market will soon be loaded with used with the introduction of the F3 so hang in there and shop around....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default smiles for miles

I appreciate all the positive responses, was half fraud to post on here with all the negative feedback of some of the for sale post dogging them on the price. Yes things are changing just have to ride it out and look for my best ride.

Spyder Garage

Default update

So finally got to test drive a spyder. It was a 2013 st auto, and it was great felt fast and comfortable. Does anyone have an 09 gs auto and know if the stance and feel is the same? Found on for sale but it's 5 hours away. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Looking to save money may have to travel. There was a post on the for sale thread for 8500.00 for 08

Guy close to me is advertising 08 for 6500.00 also has 60000 miles on it another thing to look at

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So finally got to test drive a spyder. It was a 2013 st auto, and it was great felt fast and comfortable. Does anyone have an 09 gs auto and know if the stance and feel is the same? Found on for sale but it's 5 hours away. Thanks
    The ST is a nice cross between the RS and the RT size wise it has the lower seat height like the RS foot peg location is more like the RT
    as you sit more upright than like the RS where you sit with your feet more behind you like a race bike.
    I really like my ST it is smaller and lighter than my Wifes RT so it is a little faster and handles the corners real nice.
    I have never ridden an RS but they are known to corner the best and are the lightest and fastest 0 to 60 time

Spyder Garage

Check the handlebar settings, some are more comfortable on some models then others. Whatever you buy you need to feel comfortable on it. You'll enjoy it more if it's more comfortable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How far are you from the Springfield area?

Spyder Garage

4 hours from Springfield MO, and 2.5 from Springfield IL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go to the Missouri one, and talk to the folks at PiBull...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Here's a link!

http://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.com/index.htm

They will look after you just great!!