Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Brake Malfunction warning?

Hi! In the past week or two I've noticed I'm getting a Brake Malfunction warning on the instrument cluster when I 1st start a ride on my 2012 RS... it occurs almost the same distance from my carport (about 1/4 of a mile out) each ride, and then within 20 seconds or so it goes away and doesn't return again that day. What's up with that?

My brakes appear to be working just fine, I even adjusted my parking brake cable the other day and it makes no difference. This is a very consistent malfunction warning. Any ideas?

There've been no leaks where the Spyder sits on my carport's concrete slab, no leaks anywhere on this RS in fact it's been a very good machine these past 7 thousand miles or so.

Thanks!

- Michael

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    Hi! In the past week or two I've noticed I'm getting a Brake Malfunction warning on the instrument cluster when I 1st start a ride on my 2012 RS... it occurs almost the same distance from my carport (about 1/4 of a mile out) each ride, and then within 20 seconds or so it goes away and doesn't return again that day. What's up with that?

My brakes appear to be working just fine, I even adjusted my parking brake cable the other day and it makes no difference. This is a very consistent malfunction warning. Any ideas?

There've been no leaks where the Spyder sits on my carport's concrete slab, no leaks anywhere on this RS in fact it's been a very good machine these past 7 thousand miles or so.

Thanks!

- Michael
    low brake fluid or dirty sensors is my guess

Spyder Garage

check the brake fluid level under the seat. I got this a while back and my fluid was low not much but enough to give off code. Hope this will resolve your issue.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Thanks, I'll check the fluid level in the morning (I just got home and it's getting dark fast already).

It did it to me again just after noon today when I left out after starting this thread. At about the same rolling distance again too. The exact wording of the message is actually "Brake Failure" which scrolls 2 or 3 times with the red alert (!) light on, then goes away without me touching the brake pedal or anything! I made several stops for up to 45 minutes each with the Spyder today, and it never scrolled that message again. Too weird!

- Michael

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default SIMILAR SITUATION

Thanks!

- Michael
    Same problem 7 months ago,(same roadster) tried all the helps given on this site, finally the dealer said it was my master cylinder.
    n shop 6 days. Had to order. (manufacturer paid for all) No problem since .Hope this helps. Ride safe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check your wires for looseness, brake pads wear and fluid and to the dealer if persist.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

the nanny is very sensitive on the brake fluid level....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Just rolled it out into the sunlight so I could clearly see the fluid level, and it's just below Max and well above Min on both fluid chambers... so unfortunately, that ain't the problem.

The strange thing is that the "Brake Failure" message only happens 1 time per day scrolling across the display just 2 or 3 times before clearing itself, and at the exact same landmark (ie. driving distance) as I'm leaving the house for the 1st time on the Spyder that day.... then it never happens again that entire day no matter how long I leave it parked somewhere. The brakes clearly work just fine and it's not going into any sort of "limp mode".... so should I just ignore it for the time being perhaps?

I'm perplexed. The Spyder isn't wet or anything, it's parked well in under my carport at night beside my boat and it's covered with the BRP outside cover and it isn't raining here it's very dry and sunny right now in fact.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Check your wires for looseness, brake pads wear and fluid and to the dealer if persist.
    Yeah you're going to have to be a lot more specific, the Spyder has a LOT of wires in under the body panels.

How is one supposed to check the brake pads for wear? I push on the brake pedal, it stops no squealing or other strange noises or vibrations. With just over 7K miles I'd be surprised if the pads are bad already. Interestingly though, it no longer makes squealing noises when the brakes aren't being applied like it did when it only had 2K miles or so on it I'm not sure when exactly that finally ceased.

- Michael
    Last edited by Michael211_2000; 10-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quick update: I just went and checked with the trip B meter, and the light and "Brake Failure" message have been occurring at the 0.5 mile marker... of course, it didn't do it today for the 1st time in a week!

Ghost in the machine I guess? Maybe it just needed me to remove the brake reservoir caps for some reason... perhaps there was a built up vacuum in the reservoirs due to seasons changing? IDK, but that's the only thing I did to it today was take the caps off to better read the writing on them then put them both back on didn't add a drop of fluid to it now I get no alert (!) or message at that point in the road (there's a landmark beside the road, right at the 0.5 mile mark it turns out, so easy to know where this has been happening).

Checked brake pads while I had it in the sunlight for a few minutes while I was checking the brake fluid levels, and the pads look just fine I see plenty of material on them both sides each brake.

Thanks ya'll, will update if it happens again and go from there.

- Michael

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-02-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

I would suggest adding brake fluid up to the max level on the reservoir. Can't hurt.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Nanny is super sensitive about brake fluid level. Read my recent experience. I'd suggest adding just a tiny amount of fluid and see what happens. Be sure to use new fluid, not something that has been opened for a long time. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Orange-Screen

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The reason it comes on only early in the ride is because the fluid is cold. It doesn't take much to warm the fluid and the level comes up just enough to keep the sensors happy.
    I think you are right Drew, though I never experienced any weeping of the reservoir caps I do recall that when I got this Spyder RS at 880 miles the fluid was at the Max mark on both reservoirs, now it's sitting just above Min and I'm having this problem. This morning I had to leave out extra early just as dawn broke and it was rather chilly outside, the "Brake Failure" message scrolled every 1/2 mile for almost 10 miles before it finally stopped that BS!

It's not done this before (it's only scrolled it 1 time per day, previously), but I've not ridden it so early on a cold morning since like last winter.

My guess is the fluid level drops as the brake pads wear (on mine anyways; 7.5k miles on it now); if the calipers work like on a normal 4 wheel vehicle then the calipers slowly retain more fluid so as to keep the pads right next to the rotors as the pads slowly get thinner.

Anyhows, I bought a can of DOT 4 brake fluid and added maybe 1oz or so to each reservoir bringing them both up to the max level again this evening. I noticed that where the fluid level was at Min there is a sensor (or float perhaps?) clearly visible in each reservoir but when I put in enough fluid to bring the level to Max those sensors (or floats) disappeared beneath the fluid surface. Will have to wait and see if this finally solves this problem....

How hard would it have been to have programmed the darned ECU to give a "Low Brake Fluid" warning instead of this terrifying "Brake Failure" alert? Geez! 1st time I got this message I thought I wouldn't have any brakes, I actually used the parking brake (gently!) to slow down from ~25mph to a stop because the message was saying my brakes had failed and I believed it!

Anyways, thanks all will let you know in a couple days if the message no longer appears.

- Michael

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 12-27-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had the exact thing happen to me. Was riding to work in the morning the other day and the Brake Failure alert comes on. Scared the begeesis out of me. I thought too oh no my brakes are gone!! I looked at the fluid levels and they looked ok. It didn't happen in the afternoon on the way home when it was warmer out but happened the next morning. I took it to my dealer and had them check it out. Well it was low brake fluid. It seems just a tad low and it goes postal.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Pretty certain the extra 1 oz or so of fluid I added to each reservoir solved my problem... it hasn't done it again even once this weekend. That's so weird though, cause my fluid level was clearly above Min (but below Max). You'd think the level would need to fall below Min before any warning or alert would appear in the instrument cluster (and it aught to be a more informative alert message, darn-it!).

Oh well, now we know I guess.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Update: Been a full week now since I added maybe 1 oz of fluid to each brake fluid reservoir... haven't seen the Brake Failure message again since. So that was my problem.

Keep in mind that slowly as your brake pads wear down the brake calipers will retain more and more brake fluid (just like an automobile) which will lower your brake fluid levels. Looks like about 7K miles did it enough to start setting off my brake fluid level sensors (even though the level was above Min in each chamber, and my brake pads still look plenty beefy).

fyi: I suggest before adding brake fluid you 1st go ride for 5 miles or so to let the system warm up (warmed fluid expands just a little bit) so that you won't be overfilling the fluid chambers. Mine hasn't leaked so much as a drop since I topped it off last weekend.

also fyi: I'd suspect that before replacing the brake pads it'd be wise to extract an ounce or so of fluid from each reservoir 1st, so as not to overflow them when you push the caliper piston's back fully. Brake fluid is VERY corrosive you don't want it getting under the body panels (aka "tupperware") where it could corrode the frame or anything! After new pads are installed, then refill the brake reservoirs to the Max.

Regards!

- MIchael

Spyder Garage

After I swapped out my stock brake pads for EBC pads last year (2013), I was routinely getting a "Brake Failure" notice on my dash. Brakes worked fine, checked my brake fluid levels, and they were OK too. When I had the electronic tech at the dealership trouble shooting my "no start" issue this last spring; I asked him about Brake Failure issue/notice................he told me it was a common "Nanny Gremlin", and reset something in my ECU with his notebook. I was fine all year up until about the last four rides when the Brake Failure notice came back. electronic marvelry!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I had the same "brake failure" flashing on my screen. I looked at the brake fluid and it looked fine, everything check out fine. So I added about 2 tablespoons of brake fluid and it went away.

Spyder Garage

The fluid level sensors get triggered well before you reach the Min levels... it's a design problem, IMO. The sensors should have been lower than they are, and the message should be better worded too BRP!

If you haven't tried adding just a little more fluid to both chambers, you should! Mine hasn't had a "Brake Failure" again since I added just a little fluid.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

The fluid level sensors get triggered well before you reach the Min levels... it's a design problem, IMO. The sensors should have been lower than they are, and the message should be better worded too BRP!

If you haven't tried adding just a little more fluid to both chambers, you should! Mine hasn't had a "Brake Failure" again since I added just a little fluid.

- Michael
    I thought the brake failure warning was required before leaving the garage for a ride! Mine's been on for months. The dealer checked everything and reset the programming. The warning was back within a week. I recently completed a 5-state, 1500+ mile ride with it flashing on the screen. Heck, the Goldwings even let me ride in the back - that's how much they trusted the Spyder brakes even though the warning was prevalent.

I will try some of the tips from this thread. Maybe it will go away. ...Don

P.S. We went thru the dragon on the last day of the trip. Now there is some trust in my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default same here!

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    I had the same "brake failure" flashing on my screen. I looked at the brake fluid and it looked fine, everything check out fine. So I added about 2 tablespoons of brake fluid and it went away.
    hellooo every one-
    My spyder this week started doing the same thing '' brake failure '' intermittently staying on.....whhaaaat kinda mickey mouse setup is this crapp, yeah added about 2 table spoons of
    brake fluid ass well and it stopped. talking about stupid .. no good ..thumb zucking engineering! anyways I did have a nice ride today on my spider
    FYI ..... I didn't realize it requires DOT-4 . DOT 3 went in today....
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Most of the time, a fill of fluid to the max lines does the trick. I have had this happen many times on all 's owned.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    hellooo every one-
    My spyder this week started doing the same thing '' brake failure '' intermittently staying on.....whhaaaat kinda mickey mouse setup is this crapp, yeah added about 2 table spoons of
    brake fluid ass well and it stopped. talking about stupid .. no good ..thumb zucking engineering! anyways I did have a nice ride today on my spider
    FYI ..... I didn't realize it requires DOT-4 . DOT 3 went in today....
    I'd rather get a brake warning when the fluid started going down, but the brakes still worked, than having nanny tell me there is a brake failure as I put my foot on the brake . . . and they don't work . . . just my opinion

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)