Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    What bothers me about ride-on or beads, is why this is not mainstream on cars if they work so well?
    If they are so great, why are car tire places still using weights?

Bob
    My question as well.
    Also, what about winter riding. Is that too going to be all thick at the bottom of the tire after sitting on my cold garage floor for a period of time.
    "It will smooth out over a few miles" just doesn't work for me. Reminds me of the old bias ply tire days!...haha

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI, you all might read the reviews on this balancer on Harbor Frieght. Not too good. Appears the QC on these is not great. Bent shafts, stuck bearings, etc. So if you buy one, check it out fully!

I think I am going with the ride-on though or the balance beads.
    I will flip a coin and decide

Bob
    Will do. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Go buy a static tire balancer at harbor freight tools and do it yourself. That's what I use.

http://m.harborfreight.com/motorcycl...not%20provided
    I have the Marc Parnes balancer it is a percision unit and they make conversion kits to upgrade the harbor freight one.

http://www.marcparnes.com/BalancerUpgrade.htm
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ADD THIS TO PROBLEMS

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    The problem that I have found with wheel weights are that they sometimes fall off or the wheel is not balanced correctly in the first place. The nice thing about Ride-on or balance beads is that they will redistribute as the tire gets worn down providing true balance the whole life of the tire. With weights, the tire can come out of balance and get worse as the tire gets worn down.
    .....And if you don't set your watch to the correct time it's not giving correct information ................Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What bothers me about ride-on or beads, is why this is not mainstream on cars if they work so well?

Bob
    I think it comes down to cost and past practice. I have the beads in both tires on my two wheeler (13,000 miles) and the rear tire of my wife's RT (5,500 miles). They work.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    My question as well.
    Also, what about winter riding. Is that too going to be all thick at the bottom of the tire after sitting on my cold garage floor for a period of time.
    "It will smooth out over a few miles" just doesn't work for me. Reminds me of the old bias ply tire days!...haha
    Good question! If I ever ride my Spyder in the winter I will let you know.

I can tell you that last Saturday I road in 29 - 32 fahrenheit fot two hours and I had no issues with the ride on for balance.

I will agree that sitting for long periods will cause the Ride-On to settle in the bottom of the tire and that does take a few miles to redistribute. Not an issue for me, but if that will trouble you than you should not use it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I've always been curious about these. The spyder wheel fits and it works good?
    Any advice or tips on actually using it? Thanks!
    The rear wheel fits yes and it is stone simple. Look up static tire balancing on YouTube
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Bob
    Ride on is available for all types of tires, including cars. But ride-on is primarily a tire sealant gel that as a side effect balances your tires, and is not cheap. For most folks, including me, I don't worry that if I get a flat on my car I am going to end up sliding down the pavement, nor will I have to buy a brand new tire. Weights are a very low cost alternative. (I have used ride on for several years now in my two wheel bikes and now in the Spyder).

My question as well.
    The slight amount of time it takes to redistribute the gel is nothing relative to the peace of mind I have that a nail in the road is not going to result in me having to buy a new tire. On my Venture I have found nails in the tire that have obviously been there awhile due to the road wear on the head but never gave me any indication of tire problems.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    I don't have much experience with Ride-On due to the fact I used it for the first time last week. I had new tires put on my Victory and afterward I had a small vibration in the front tire. They balanced it at the dealer but they're 120 miles away so I decided to try the Ride-On. After putting the Ride-On in the tire I rode the bike down the road and within about 3 miles the vibration was gone.
    I'm going to put it in the tires on the Rt tomorrow just for the sealing ability and maybe it will keep the tires running smooth as they wear. If I couldn't balance my tires I would give Ride-On a try.
    For the Spyder, be sure to use the Car version and not the MC version. The car version is much better at balancing and is also less expensive than the MC version.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any of the approaches suggested. Ride-On has the added advantage of sealing leaks/holes and helps your tires to run cooler while balancing them. It is also a dynamic balance so it can adjust as your tires wear keeping them in balance throughout their life span. I don't think that any of the other methods will give you all of these features.

Disadvantages include higher cost than weights (though you have to consider the cost of labor to spin or bubble balance), and when you do, Ride-On is usually less expensive. There is a limit as to how much out of balance Ride-On will resolve. And there is the goo to deal with when changing or repairing a tire. Though it's not really a big deal. You can also get the cold weather 'Bump' which will also occur if you let your Spyder sit for a long period. You have to ride out this 'Bump' which is simply an out of balance condition created when all the goo settles to the bottom of the tire. This will also occur the 1st time you put the Ride-On in. It usually takes a few miles of 30-45 mph to get the bump to go away and you're good for the rest of the day and usually for a few weeks of letting you Spyder sit afterwards.

The best of all worlds is to have your tires spin balanced with weights and then add Ride-On or Beads. It's also the most expensive and the spin balance may not be necessary.

Weights are cheap but you have the labor cost. They are not dynamic so your balance may go away as the tire wears requiring re-balance or (what usually happens) you just let the tire wear more quickly.

Beads are expensive and can be hard to get into the tire. They are dynamic, like Ride-On but they will not plug a leak or seal a puncture. Beads settle anytime you're not going fast enough to distribute them. But they re-distribute much more quickly than Ride-On so you pretty much eliminate the 'Bump' issue. They are re-usable when you change tires (though they are not that much fun to retrieve from the old tire and will be mixed with rubber fragments).

As always, do your research, pay your money and take your best shot. All of these work for somebody. None of them work for everybody.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-17-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

After discount tire put my Michelin on then they tell me they couldn't balance it so I took it to an independent bike shop cause they were closer and they did a good job had the adapter s for their spin balance er
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White