Spyder Garage

Default Emergency Brake Not Locking

My emergency Brake will not set...After doing the oil change, and service, with new wires and spark plugs, on 40K miles...Now the Brake Fault light will not go off, and Emergency Brake Red light just blinks...

Everything was working fine before I worked it on myself for the first time....LOL

Spyder Garage

I would work backwards from what was done on your Spyder, you might have dislodged or dis connected a connection when you where changing your plugs and plug wires .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

When is the last time you replaced your brake pads? Have you checked your brake fluid level? Have you checked to see if your E-Brake needs adjustment? As the rear pad wears, the E-Brake has farther and farther to travel before engagement. At a point the gap exceeds the travel and the E-Brake will not hold.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nudels2u75 View Post
    My emergency Brake will not set...After doing the oil change, and service, with new wires and spark plugs, on 40K miles...Now the Brake Fault light will not go off, and Emergency Brake Red light just blinks...

Everything was working fine before I worked it on myself for the first time....LOL
    I would pull off the right side panel and check the following:

1) Is the cable still attached to the parking brake pulley; If not then attach and re-test
    2) Does the parking brake motor operate when the switch is pressed; If not, then check the Parking Brake motor connectors. You might have jiggled these loose when changing out your spark plug wires. (Note: I disconnected these when changing out he spark plug wires and forgot to reconnect them before I fired the RT back up. Easy to forget to make all of the wire connections when tackling the spark plug wire change.)
    3) As Baja Ron noted, check your rear Parking brake pulley. The spring gets fatigued with time and as your pads wear the travel of the cable increases. Adjust the tension on the cable and see if that helps. (I had to change the spring and cable because it kept falling off the pulley because the spring had lost its' tension).

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I would pull off the right side panel and check the following:

1) Is the cable still attached to the parking brake pulley; If not then attach and re-test
    2) Does the parking brake motor operate when the switch is pressed; If not, then check the Parking Brake motor connectors. You might have jiggled these loose when changing out your spark plug wires. (Note: I disconnected these when changing out he spark plug wires and forgot to reconnect them before I fired the RT back up. Easy to forget to make all of the wire connections when tackling the spark plug wire change.)
    3) As Baja Ron noted, check your rear Parking brake pulley. The spring gets fatigued with time and as your pads wear the travel of the cable increases. Adjust the tension on the cable and see if that helps. (I had to change the spring and cable because it kept falling off the pulley because the spring had lost its' tension).

Good luck.
    Good points. The OP does not say which Spyder model he has. Speculation in the dark can be fun. But the accuracy component suffers.

If he has an SM, it could be nothing more than the ratchet mechanism. Early models had defective ratchets which BRP replaced.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My e brake was not grabbing also, but no warning lights tripped. Adjusting the brake made it like new again.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

you have enough to go on. You will find the problem...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default It is the 2012 White Limited fully Loaded

It is the 2012 White Tour Bike Limited fully Loaded