Spyder Garage

Default "Parking Brake Failure" Orange Screen

I was in Ohio, for the Ohio Spyder Rally. I was getting ready to come home, yesterday morning, when I got the "Parking Brake Failure" orange screen. During initial trouble shooting, the parking brake switch was intermittent, sometimes releasing the brake, and other times, not.

This same thing had happened, in the past, to two others Spyder owners who were with me. At their recommendation, I did the reset process with the key, to include moving it away from the Spyder. I checked the brake fluid level. It was still above the "minimum" level, but, as my friends and I have discovered, nanny is very sensitive about the brake fluid level!

I added just a tiny bit of fluid to each reservoir in the master cylinder, and restarted . . . the error message was gone and did not come back. I'd done a lot of riding over the last three days (almost 700 miles) most of which was on spirited rides in twisties, and apparently wore all my break pads just enough to lower the brake fluid, to where "nanny" was not happy.

I wish Roger was still around . . . I'd suggest he add a note on the "Parking Brake Failure" code in his "Spyder Codes" app, that adding some brake fluid and doing the code reset process can sometimes resolve the issue. If someone has his email, perhaps you could suggest it to him . . . Or did he return? I've been away for the last several days . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The same thing happened to me a couple of months, ago. I took the key and walked away. Everything was fine. It has not happened, since.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out...
    Unfortunately, we haven't seen Roger pop back up in here; I wonder how the '57 Beetle is progressing?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The parking brake cable may have come loose from the pulley.

See this thread for more info. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...0brake%20cable
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    The parking brake cable may have come loose from the pulley.

See this thread for more info. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...0brake%20cable
    Adding a small amount of brake fluid solved the issue . . . I rode home, 318 miles, with no problem.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!!

love it when you post a problem with the solution. Good to know about the fluid. Nanny is sensative about that and the cable is the other common issue. So now check your pads you don't want them to get so low they cause disk damage....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Glad it worked out, I had pop up on me once i was parked facing down a incline,cranked as I mounted, that apparently sloshed the fluid and freaked sensor out, thanks Bradford marine Springdale AR for the tech chat and reassurance everything was ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RTS SE5- parking brake will NOT engage is stuck in the UNLOCKED POSTISION

Hello:

We are getting ready to come to Spyderfest 2015- and tonight pulled my Spyder out of the barn to check tire pressures. When I started it up, I took the parking brake off (Toggle switch)

Immediately I got an orange screen saying PARKING BRAKE Fault (!) and it will NOT engage the parking brake or disengage now.

I cannot set my parking brake anymore. I can hear the actuator but looking at the rear wheel I do not see the little "PIN" coming out of the cable to engage the cog to park the bike with parking brake.

Do any of you recommend WD-40 around that area or should I wash it? We live in the country on gravel but when we go down the gravel road we only go about 10 to 15 mph tops.

Thanks for any insight!

See you all at Spyderfest 2015

Last edited by Elembytes; 04-26-2015 at 06:25 PM.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Check the cable. Pull the right side panels and make sure the cable is still on the pulley.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cable tension

I recently had this problem but it turned out to be a broken parking brake spring. anyway after buying a new spring I took the tensioner off the back (that's the half circle pulley) and fitted the new part. It was then I realised how the whole thing worked. The spring keeps the tension on the cable that joins the motor tension at the front of the back to the parking brake. So if your cable is falling off the main activation motor it may be worth you while looking to see if the spring is still in one piece.