Thread: Driving Lights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Driving Lights

IMG_1574_edited-1.jpgI installed Hella driving lights on my wife's spyder using a stainless steel bracket i made up. I found the normal high beams on the spyder are not bright enough when driving down country roads. I wired this up by using a switch box that I installed on top of her break fluid reservoir. A 3 switch box. Everything is wired up using relays and fuses going through the accessory fuse on the main bike. this was due to trial and error since Can-am would not give me the wiring diragram for this bike without a further charge. You should be given this when you purchase the bike. Question: Has anyone else put on driving lights on their Can-Am? If so, how did you do this??

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELL SORT OF DRIVING LIGHTS

...I wouldn't classify what I have as driving lights per-say, they are LED's and pretty bright. They are mounted under my mirrors ( 2014 RT ) on H.M. brackets that allow them to swivel........The lights themselves have 4 functions....( with a small controller ).... steady on, wig-wag, strobe,& blink......LED's draw almost no power so I just tapped into a fused positive wire. I think there PICS of them on my post about MIRROR CLIPS for the RT ...................Mike

Spyder Garage

I will be installing Custom Dynamics "Cool Magic Billet Bullets" this week. They provide a plug and play wire harness. Hope it goes as planned. Will report back when finished.

Dennis
    2013 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Varge30 View Post
    ... this was due to trial and error since Can-am would not give me the wiring diragram for this bike without a further charge. You should be given this when you purchase the bike.
    I am not aware of any motorcycle manufacturers that provide wiring diagrams outside of the service manuals. You may want to search on ebay for a service manual. If you are going to be doing much work on the Spyder, it would be a good investment.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Driving Lights

BLUEKNIGHT911
    Right now I have these lights by Hella, and yes they draw a lot of amps. I want to replace them with these lights D2 - Driving - Pair by Rigid Industries LED lighting. For around $225/pair. That is the next step as far as driving lights.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default d: Driving Lights

Dgjason,

I do like those lights but I dont think they are bright enough. And the product is pricey for what you get. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with these lights. If it does the job, then great. I am just looking for something bigger and badder for what I want to do. And something that will not put me in the poor house.

Thanks for your opinion, I like to hear what everyone is doing on this. have a great evening!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Driving Lights

Gray Ghost,
    What is funny is that Gray Ghost is my father's nick name. As far as I am concerned, the wiring diagram SHOULD be in the owner's manual and not an extra charge or the fruit of intense research. It was funny, I went to the dealership to get a part, and we looked at the 2015 Spyder RTs. They were all automatic. I was also told that the manual transmission was special order since most wanted automatic. They did have an incentive, if you buy the RT fully loaded...they included the luggage. Or you could buy it for an extra $236. It is funny since I found this same luggage today without the CanAm name on it for $85. It's like going to the Harley Davidson dealership and paying for the name?? Why pay that much for the name? Well thank you for your help.

Spyder Garage

Varge30- It looks like you have a pre- 2014 Spyder. IF you will email me at genesis@genesisworld.com, I'll send you a high res schematic of the 2010 RT which works pretty well up to when the battery was moved to the frunk.

I added these (in the two grills) and attached them to my highbeams via a relay....

They do a PHENOMENAL job of lighting the sides of the road with no jitter.

Spyder Garage

I mounted two LED Cree driving lights right to the lower a arm. Spliced into my running light circuit. They are very bright and I get lots of compliments on them. Got them on eBay.

ATTACH]100735[/ATTACH]
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420894518.419934.jpg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=360768887260
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Lots of DIY set ups...

great to see more diy mods. Walmart driving lights and fog lights mounted on our RS with independent switches for under fifty bucks...
    20121228_091133.jpg 20130108_113301.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/52231
    Going to installing Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on the RT A arms in the spring. No garage to work in.

Spyder Garage

heres mine on my rs.2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/52231
    Going to installing Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on the RT A arms in the spring. No garage to work in.
    Here is what irritates me with that product, no where does it tell you the wattage. Thus there is no way to try to compare them to something cheaper. On Ebay/others you can find 50 watt, which should be plenty bright for less. The ones above that are 16 watt, seems to make him happy. I'm waiting for my 20 watt ones to arrive so I can find out. Will keep you posted.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Here is what irritates me with that product, no where does it tell you the wattage. Thus there is no way to try to compare them to something cheaper. On Ebay/others you can find 50 watt, which should be plenty bright for less. The ones above that are 16 watt, seems to make him happy. I'm waiting for my 20 watt ones to arrive so I can find out. Will keep you posted.
    Remember with LEDs that you have to look at lumens. The wattage is how much electrical current they draw. In your 50watt would draw 4.16 amps. The 16 watt will draw 1.33 amps. None of that directly translates to brightness when you are trying to compare say halogen to LED. When I buy, I try to compare lumen output vs price.

But also be aware that high lumen with low prive CAN mean shorter life. Sometimes it translates to premature LED brightness fall off. Simetimes mfg. take shortcuts on heat sinks, etc. to shave cost. That translates to low quality.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder ri View Post
    I mounted two LED Cree driving lights right to the lower a arm. Spliced into my running light circuit. They are very bright and I get lots of compliments on them. Got them on eBay.

ATTACH]100735[/ATTACH]
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420894518.419934.jpg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=360768887260
    Those are just what I am looking for. Thanks for the heads up.