Spyder Garage

Default How to remove switch cluster

I'm trying to remove the 4 switch cluster above the glove box and below the handle bar. I'm installing the BPR Bluetooth dongle so I have all the Tupperware removed from the right side and now some from the left side, I have removed the pop in plastic keepers on both sides. I can lift both sides but there seems to be something holding it down the middle of the switch area. I removed the blank plug in the middle of the switches and can not see what's holding it down. I have a switch on order to hook up two garage door openers and plan on installing it in the blank spot in the middle but I need to get the panel removed so I can rewire what's there to power the new switch. Any help would be appreciated.

2014 RT Limited, #0085 Silver Platinum Satin with Black Seat
    Spyderpops Bump Skid Plate, Belt Guard, IPS, SS Knott Grilles,
    Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Passenger Arm Rest, 3 pc Lid Net Set,
    Smart Mount Driver Backrest, Windshield Dash Pouch System,
    TRICLED Blinkers and Brake Lights.
    Too Many Toys and Not Enough Time!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Four bolts into the frame below the center unit. The pop rivets help to take it apart after you have it off the frame.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The wiring to those switches comes out on the left side and is held in place with a tie. Cut the tie and push as much slack as you can get up towards the switches. It's tight but you should get enough to unclip the switches from the plug end.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

That gives me a couple things to try in the morning.

Doc - Riverside

Default 2014 Glove box removal

These pictures should help

Right Side

Left Side

How to remove the connector body.

Any questions see PM

Spyder Garage

Default WOW Thanks Doc

This will make it easy. Headed out to get started on it in a little while.

Spyder Garage

Good job, Doc

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

You would think that there is an easier way for them to have attached the switch cluster by itself. Why not just make the switch panel snap into the rest of the cover plate. Would have made it much easier to replace or change the switches. The other photos show how to remove everything as a unit. Unfortunately the switch panel is attached to the rest by a hidden pop rivet that is only accessible by removing everything else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had mine apart in the spring that is a weird place for that pop rivet, it did not go back in.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Again!!!

Once I saw the pictures it was easy. I was trying to remove just the switch panel, which as mentioned above should have been how it was designed. But NO WHY MAKE IT EASY!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I had mine apart in the spring that is a weird place for that pop rivet, it did not go back in.
    I am trying to remove this. Unfortunaltely I do not find any video on how to do this.
    What do you mean by « it did not go back in »?
    is it because you did not put it back or it was not possible to put it back?
    Ride safe!

Spyder Garage

I think he just decided not to put it back. I did after I put in the new switch.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post
    I am trying to remove this. Unfortunaltely I do not find any video on how to do this.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post
    I didn't put it back in.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I know this is an old post, but today we tried to remove the switch cluster panel, but ended up with the same problem. It looks like it would come off, but the switches or something in that area holds it up. Also, the Glovebox compartment won't let the bottom part to come off as well.
    Do you remember what was on the pictures posted by Doc - Riverside? They are no longer available.
    Thank you in advance
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

See following post. It has more info than the original one in this spot!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by INfox View Post
    I know this is an old post, but today we tried to remove the switch cluster panel, but ended up with the same problem. It looks like it would come off, but the switches or something in that area holds it up. Also, the Glovebox compartment won't let the bottom part to come off as well.
    Do you remember what was on the pictures posted by Doc - Riverside? They are no longer available.
    Thank you in advance
    Do you have a service manual? If not you really need to get one. Jobs like this are much easier when you can refer to the manual.

As I remember from taking mine off a couple of years ago, there are four screws and six rivets holding the glove box/cluster assembly on the frame. Two of them are back up under a ways and hard to see. One on the right and one on the left. You need a light to shine under the glove box from the side to see them. IIRC the switch cluster is fastened to the glove box with some screws that you can't get to until you lift the entire unit off and turn it over. You have to disconnect the harness going to the switches. I think it's on the left side. It's not real difficult once you find and remove the culprit screws! You also need to disconnect the glove box latch release cable.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Thank you IdahoMtnSpyder. I found the screws, removed them and also the glovebox latch (very carefully). Snapped couple zip-ties on the left side and disconnected couple wires on the right side - I found a video Spyder RT Triaxis Handlebar Install - Part 1 of 3 by Finless Bob - I made sure I don’t make any mistakes. The Glovebox compartment with the Switch cluster panel came off nicely.
    With this I would like to thank Finless Bob as well.

Some pictures I made today while removing above mentioned.

PS: I do have the service manual, but searching through 1579 pages without a properly working word search is very time consuming. I do have the latest and greatest Win10 and AdobeAcrobat Reader. We were looking for some scheme with the wiring identified to no avail.
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

Great stuff thanks for sharing with the community!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

PS: I do have the service manual, but searching through 1579 pages without a properly working word search is very time consuming. I do have the latest and greatest Win10 and AdobeAcrobat Reader. We were looking for some scheme with the wiring identified to no avail.
    Sometimes you have to be ingenious in pulling words out of the air to use in the search! BRP tech writers don't always adhere to convention when naming objects. I don't remember right off hand what they call a microswitch, but it's not microswitch. Then the name is different between the service text and the parts list! I usually find a chapter title in the first go at a search, and then go from there in a series of word jumps. In this case I used glove box as the search term.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Same here, I now another extra PPR.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

We decided to remove the Frunk today as we couldn't find switched wires to tap to for my new FZ-1. No, I didn't have the front optional Accessory plug available and the dealer didn't install battery tender plug as many of you mention. It wasn't an easy decision, but I like to learn about my trike and I am not afraid do to things if I have instructions or video available.

For those, who don't have the optional plug available in the Frunk, it is not easy to find it. It is hidden behind an up the battery and the wire is zip-tied up to be hidden. The plugs need to be pulled out. Regular owners as me will not find it, if they won't take the Frunk off. I am attaching pic'se of how it looks like. The repair manual isn't showing the location either, we have to find it by ourselves.
    Removed Frunk.jpg
    If anyone wants me to take pic's of some wiring as it is, I'll be glad to make some before we put the frunk back up.
    A video on how to remove the Tupperware and frunk is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw5atKHlmp4 by It's Yours. OWN IT
    or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1tBebocmEQ by Shawn Smoak (this video doesn’t show the two screws on the bottom, the first one does.

Spyder Garage

For those, who don't have the optional plug available in the Frunk, it is not easy to find it. It is hidden behind an up the battery and the wire is zip-tied up to be hidden. The plugs need to be pulled out. Regular owners as me will not find it, if they won't take the Frunk off. I am attaching pic'se of how it looks like. The repair manual isn't showing the location either, we have to find it by ourselves.
    If you do decide to install the frunk accessory plug just know that getting the waterproofing boot over the end of the socket will prompt some blue air. You have to put the socket into the frunk wall first and tighten the lock ring. You can at least plug the wires onto the socket before you poke it through the frunk wall, but make sure the lock ring is on the harness first. It has to be on the back side. Then you have to work blind and in very tight quarters to get the lock ring on and the boot slipped over the socket. I didn't do it, but you might consider splicing in a 6" to 10" wire into the accessory harness. That way you can get it all connected and the boot on before the frunk is up tight against the frame.

You can buy an accessory plug on Amazon or eBay that is the same as the OEM for less $$.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnSpyder, thank for the advice, I appreciate it.