Threaded View

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil level

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Sorry but this actually does not work for a dry sump engine. The oil level in the tank where the dipstick is located, after a few days sitting. will be significantly lower than it was when you finished riding. Two things contribute to this, the temperature of the oil changes the volume of oil in the system, IE oil expands, and not by a small amount, as it heats from 50degF to 250degF. The second change in measured oil level is because oil slowly leaks back to the engine sump from the tank. This is much different than a wet sump engine like most automobiles where the oil simply drains back to the pan at the bottom of the engine. In a dry sump system, the oil tank is not the low point where the oil drains to over time.

All this aside, the BRP Spyder owners manuals used to have 2 procedures for checking oil, one cold and one hot and it cause lots of confusion. I can tell you that a Spyder (998 or 1330) that has proper oil level at operating temp will be just at the bottom of the dipstick when cold. Not an exact measure but its great for a go / no go for a ride.
    I'm also sorry ..... because you didn't understand what I said ............ I said I checked the oil level after a ride AT REQUIRED ENGINE TEMP ........ For my next ride ( whenever ) has that level changed ??? and if you believe it has - Please tell me where some of that Oil has disappeared to ...... Thanks .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-13-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Color