Spyder Garage

Default Carolina adventurestoday

We began last week on a tour of the N Carolina mountains and worked our way to the coast. We stayed at Nag's Head and enjoyed the international Kite Festival. The kites were awesome in all shapes and sizes with kite fliers from all over the world.

We headed south on Cape Hatteras on Sunday taking the one hour ferry ride to the tip of the cape and then the two and a half hour ferry back to the mainland. It was windy and 45 degrees and very chilly on the boat. While on the ferry I noticed one of the front tires on my wife's RT was wearing weird on the inside. The tread was down to the wear bar in some places but not all around the tire. As we left the ferry and went up the ramp there was quite a drop and my wife's RT swayed quite a bit coming off. It went into limp mode right away but she managed to get it to the parking lot.

we shut down and waited out a reset. It started up clean and we went on our way.

The next day we found a dealer in Lumberton and by then the tire had a definite bulge looking like a broken belt. We had new fronts installed even though the other side still looked good after 18,000 miles. There was no Spyder tech present (this was basically a Yamaha dealer although they did have three Can Ams in the showrooms) and attempts to hook her Spyder up to BUDS were unsuccessful. I don't think they do much work on Spyders.

Today we headed for Greenwood SC where my updated dealer list showed a Can Am dealer. Before we got there we had to make a sharp U-turn and once again she went into limp mode this time with a heavy gas smell and a lot of backfires. Got to the dealer lot to find they have gone out of business.

so we will head back to Georgia tomorrow and our regular dealer. I talked to our service manager and she thinks that the computer suspects too much gas flow and so it is deliberately leaning out the mixture to compensate or vice versa. So tomorrow we hope we can fool the computer long enough to get home.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that a tire and a computer, got in the way of a really spectacular ride?
    Did you get any pictures for us??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default stuff on the home stretch

Sounds like a gremlin got into the BUDS. Be careful out there. My only 2 limp home screens were about 6 weeks ago. Turned out to be an $88 potentiaometer (sp?) for the throttle. Tough when you have to replace stuff you can't even spell. Take care and good luck with it.

Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You didn't do a bad job on it... Just remove that "a", and you're perfect!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hope you get the issues solved soon.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

May be too late but Velocity Motorsports in Summerville, SC is about 2.5 hours from Greenville.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah! The OB.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards