Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    A failed cell in a battery can act as a short. It's why I believe the battery failure caused the meltdown.
    I was not clear enough. There is a 60 amp fuse between the charging system and the battery. If the battery goes bad and causes a draw of more than 60 amp the fuse will blow. This will protect the stator, voltage regulator/rectifier from damage. I have looked at wiring diagrams for other powersport vehicles and have never seen them fused this way before. So it is not really relevant if it can happen on other vehicles. Are they protected by a fuse in the same way?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    ...I have looked at wiring diagrams for other powersport vehicles and have never seen them fused this way before. So it is not really relevant if it can happen on other vehicles. Are they protected by a fuse in the same way?
    The 2007 Yamaha RSV is fused between the R/R and the battery, so is the 2012 Suzuki DL1000, the 2012 HD Touring models, the 2008 Yamaha Roadstar, and the 2014 Kawasaki Voyager.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    The 2007 Yamaha RSV is fused between the R/R and the battery, so is the 2012 Suzuki DL1000, the 2012 HD Touring models, the 2008 Yamaha Roadstar, and the 2014 Kawasaki Voyager.
    So let's bring this conversation full circle. Do the models listed above have a history of stator failures caused by a shorted battery? If so I need it explained to me how that can happen without blowing the fuse.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    So let's bring this conversation full circle. Do the models listed above have a history of stator failures caused by a shorted battery? If so I need it explained to me how that can happen without blowing the fuse.
    I have never heard of a stator failing due to a shorted battery, I was pointing out that having a fuse in the charging circuit is a fairly normal occurrence.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    I have never heard of a stator failing due to a shorted battery, I was pointing out that having a fuse in the charging circuit is a fairly normal occurrence.
    In older stuff (1990 and earlier) it was common not to put a fuse or fusible link in between. Then it was possible to cook the stator if there was a short.

Some say they don't make things like they use too. I say that's good they don't.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well we got the St back from the shop. All systems checked out and are good. The VSS error triggered in Colorado was caused by the brake light sticking. But the light isn't sticking right now so the shop didn't replace anything.

I see the comments about the 60 amp fuse but the events of the failure tell me quite clearly the battery failed first. If the regulator went first other warning lights besides the battery light would have come on.

The shops in Salt Lake City and Georgetown TX agrees with me that the failed battery caused the event.

Moral of the story is don't continue to ride when the battery light come on. STOP and REPLACE!