Spyder Garage

Default RT'S IN THE SHOP

Took her in Monday morning for a dis-charge problem. Called them this morning & they ordered a new Kill Switch. Had a couple of codes that indicated it was bad. The new switch hasn't arrived yet, maybe today. All week has been great riding weather and I am having withdrawals. Now I do have a 2014 RS sitting out in my garage, although I do not like riding/driving any vehicle that I do not own, so I did go out and look at it this morning. Hoping to get her back next week when the weather is lousy.

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

My 2011 RT with 50,000 great miles is in the shop for left bank lean, P0174, that's been on and off for months. Think he may have it this time, we'll see. I have a 2014 RT limited they let me use, "Ride it like it's yours" so I do. To be honest about it, I don't like the semi-auto the way it shifts up with a noticeable "lurch," if that's a real word, yes I keep the throttle in the same spot. As Mark Lawson said last year "no matter how often you push the horn button, the damn thing won't shift!" Also, the transmission is very noisy in all gears until it's above 50 or so. I'm pretty deaf, so I know it's a noisy one, much more than my RT. No backrest doesn't help, but I manage. I keep reaching for my ISCI hand brake also, but that's no big deal so far, my hip is under control this week. Real improved steering, low rpm torque, nice low RPMs at cruise are superb and I like where the dip stick is a whole lot-check the oil at the end of every day on whatever I'm riding. This is a Limited, but no adjustable air wings, vented W/S etc. For what this costs, I thought it'd be loaded up with goodies. Wrong again. If I were still working, I'd like to have the RTSM5 ver of a 2015, but being in late 70s and not wishing to owe lots of $$, I'll stick with my "Red Bug" and the big bucks worth of stuff on it until it becomes unmanageable - so far, so good. Gotta textl my "Pain DR" in a minute and see if he wants to crank up his BMW and go riding tomorrow. Always great to have your DR along, but his RR1000SS or whatever it is has no storage for his DR bag - bummer. Mine is full of stuff I always think I have to have along - gun, pain medicine, hot, cold, and rain gear plus some tools, etc to make me feel like I'm in control if another code pops up or a hawk dumps on the windshield. Have a good ride on what ever you're jumpin on this weekend.........

Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that you both get your bikes back soon...

"Dancing with somebody else's girl"; always made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    My 2011 RT with 50,000 great miles is in the shop for left bank lean, P0174, that's been on and off for months. Think he may have it this time, we'll see. I have a 2014 RT limited they let me use, "Ride it like it's yours" so I do. To be honest about it, I don't like the semi-auto the way it shifts up with a noticeable "lurch," if that's a real word, yes I keep the throttle in the same spot. As Mark Lawson said last year "no matter how often you push the horn button, the damn thing won't shift!" Also, the transmission is very noisy in all gears until it's above 50 or so. I'm pretty deaf, so I know it's a noisy one, much more than my RT. No backrest doesn't help, but I manage. I keep reaching for my ISCI hand brake also, but that's no big deal so far, my hip is under control this week. Real improved steering, low rpm torque, nice low RPMs at cruise are superb and I like where the dip stick is a whole lot-check the oil at the end of every day on whatever I'm riding. This is a Limited, but no adjustable air wings, vented W/S etc. For what this costs, I thought it'd be loaded up with goodies. Wrong again. If I were still working, I'd like to have the RTSM5 ver of a 2015, but being in late 70s and not wishing to owe lots of $$, I'll stick with my "Red Bug" and the big bucks worth of stuff on it until it becomes unmanageable - so far, so good. Gotta textl my "Pain DR" in a minute and see if he wants to crank up his BMW and go riding tomorrow. Always great to have your DR along, but his RR1000SS or whatever it is has no storage for his DR bag - bummer. Mine is full of stuff I always think I have to have along - gun, pain medicine, hot, cold, and rain gear plus some tools, etc to make me feel like I'm in control if another code pops up or a hawk dumps on the windshield. Have a good ride on what ever you're jumpin on this weekend.........

Tuck
    Hope you are back riding your own RT soon. I noticed on this 2014 that it seems to have a slight hesitation when it shifts, it is a SE. My 2012 RT SE shifts smooth. It does sound like you have had a lot of good riding on your 2011. I seem to carry a lot of stuff in mine all the time also, about the same as you do even if I am only going a few miles down the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post

Tuck
    Try shifting at 2750 - 3000 rpm. Usually seemless and without the klunk factor. I find if I wind it out like the 998 it will clunk at 4500 - and above.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-03-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default SE shifting

My relatively new laptop keeps jumping out of SL. See if I can make it work this time.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow.
    N GA is great riding country.
    Better quit while ahead
    Tuck

Spyder Garage

Default Better

As usual, you were right on!! Lots better @2750 -3,000. It "clunks" at 3,500 and low 2,000 rpms.

The transmission sure does whine though. Less when warmed up, but still lots lowder than my 2011. Guesss I can live with it for as long as it takes to get mine out of the shop. About 400 miles so far.

Thanks for the info.