Thread: Exhausted

Spyder Garage

Default Exhausted

While getting an alignment and replacing all $$$ tire$, I was told me that the slip gasket on the exhaust was leaking on my 2008GS. (got it last year with 6,000mi... presently 16,000mi) It was mentioned the engine was running lean because of the gasket being "very" bad and that I could damage the engine if I rode for a month without having it replaced. I have an appointment in ten days to replace the gasket. How much damage can be done to the engine if I continue ryding with the bad slip gasket? It's the end of ryding season here in the mitt and I've already lost a week OF GREAT WEATHER thanks to "emergencies" that put other bikes ahead of mine , hate losing much more ryding time.
    I am no mechanic and have never portrayed one, any thoughts?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just replaced mine also . but i used the Goldwing ones like others on the forum ..it was really not that bad to do.just remove the tupper ware and they are right there the large slip joint is a 1/2 drive socket .. well that's what I used .the small ones are 10 mm spray them with pb blaster ..loosen them up pull down remove old gaskets / reverse order .. as far as riding I don't think any harm will be done

Spyder Garage

Are you talking about the gasket where the header mates to the S pipe?

If so...............and if you've got basic hand tools (ratchet/metric sockets) and a jack of some kind (I used a small rolling floor jack) it's a snap to change (whether you use an OEM or Gold Wing gasket). Jack the ol Spyder up, so the the R wheel is off the ground (don't forget to chock your front tires so the Spyder doesn't roll forward!) disconnect the header from the S pipe, snatch the old gasket out and replace with the new one, and reconnect the header to the S pipe. Don't to forget to curse a lot; whether things are going badly or not!

Hope you're back on the road soon!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Exhausted

I'm gonna let the shop do the work, I have proven over the years that working on vehicles is not a happy time for me. Things just never seem to work out right and the extra parts always leave me
    wondering...

I just don't want to do any harm by continuing to ryde before the repairs are made.
    Thanks !!!
    Last edited by cybrj; 10-03-2014 at 03:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

easy job if it's your thing. In your case call the shop and make an appointment to come in and tell them you will have to wait. It is an easy job and should not take them any time at all especialky on the GS/RS's...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If we're talking the single exhaust gasket at the muffler (and NOT the Y gaskets by the header), I'm not kidding: replacing the exhaust slip gasket yourself is one of the absolute EASIEST things you can do on a Spyder next to putting gas in the tank and air in the tires. I have NO mechanical skills whatsoever and I could do it in under ten minutes. And you don't need a jack for it (a spring puller comes in handy, ten bucks off Amazon; the OEM gasket is 99 cents and likely every dealer stocks it).

Now, replacing the *Y gaskets* is another story... you need to take off tupperware, jack up the bike, rubber mallet, Goldwing gaskets, etc. I paid a shop to bother with that when I had an oil change.

Trust us, you'll kick yourself for paying even $50 in labor for the exhaust gasket.
    Last edited by daveinva; 10-02-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Must be the Y gaskets there are two of them... only wish labor was $50/hr. $85/hr and they are 20 min. away from home. Only game in town so to speak.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

If I can do it, you can do it!