Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    not real easy for an old man like me.

not too bad a seat. less storage than an RS

Cruzr Joe
    Hell, I have trouble getting into and out of a Ford Fusion. With my lousy knees and hips, I don't think the Slingshot is for me.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

I have owned a 2011 and 2014 Spyder Canam and really enjoyed them but it was time for change so I bought a 2016.5 Sl slingshot. I have had back surgery and have a bad hip and tail bone but after getting in and out a few times it is easier than the Canam. My hip would hurt like hell when I swung my leg over the seat and my back and tail bone would complain the whole time while riding.

While not perfect it is much less painfull to sit in a reclining postion for me. I can ride for hours without complaint and I can find more postions to ease the pain when it starts.

Is the Slinghot a motorcycle, no, it is much more like a europen sports car; low, nible and fast. It has a ton of accessories that can be added including turbos and super chargers so the fun never ends in that regard. As long as I am out in the open air I am happy, loved my past motorcycles, my Canams and now my slingshot.

I have added some performance upgrades and look forward to shocks and a supercharger in the near future. The handling in corners is much better than my Canam with the elka shocks, it is scary fast!

I loved my Spyders and recommend them to any one that asks but the attention this machine gets makes for some great conversations at gas stations and parking lots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But did you have any trouble with learning how to climb in and out fo them?
    Tell us more about your modifications!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I have owned a 2011 and 2014 Spyder Canam and really enjoyed them but it was time for change so I bought a 2016.5 Sl slingshot. I have had back surgery and have a bad hip and tail bone but after getting in and out a few times it is easier than the Canam. My hip would hurt like hell when I swung my leg over the seat and my back and tail bone would complain the whole time while riding.

While not perfect it is much less painfull to sit in a reclining postion for me. I can ride for hours without complaint and I can find more postions to ease the pain when it starts.

Is the Slinghot a motorcycle, no, it is much more like a europen sports car; low, nible and fast. It has a ton of accessories that can be added including turbos and super chargers so the fun never ends in that regard. As long as I am out in the open air I am happy, loved my past motorcycles, my Canams and now my slingshot.

I have added some performance upgrades and look forward to shocks and a supercharger in the near future. The handling in corners is much better than my Canam with the elka shocks, it is scary fast!

I loved my Spyders and recommend them to any one that asks but the attention this machine gets makes for some great conversations at gas stations and parking lots.
    I have also liked the SS. I am safe here. No dealers to tempt me to give them a test drive. The Polaris dealer shares the cul de sac with my place, so I would have been in a bit of trouble if they sold the SS there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Last year I sat in SS , it was difficult to get-in /and out of. You do sit very low to the ground. But I did not drive the SS. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Getting in a Slingshot

I have gotten into a couple of them. Grab hold of something to get down in, and had to roll out of it to get out. Not good.
    I would always worry about someone running over it with a 3/4 ton pickup from behind.
    Met a couple from Essex Vt. that had one, they said it is wider than their Corvette, and really sucks in the rain. I asked them
    about storage and he said if they do an 2 or 3 day jaunt, the better half would have to ride with a duffle bag between her legs.

Spyder Garage

My friend has one, and loves the ride. It gets constant attention.

That said, it cooks the rider and passenger on even a moderately hot day, as the heat collects in the air pocket and you get engine heat.

Also, and this is without any judgment, it is a three wheeled car, not a three wheeled motorcycle. Aside from the legal classification, it has all the attributes of a car except for the number of wheels.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

A friend of mine is a mechanic at a SS dealer, brakes, wheel bearings, other stuff, I'll stick with Spyders.

john

Spyder Garage

I fully expect that as time goes by they will get better.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Border Rider View Post
    I have gotten into a couple of them. Grab hold of something to get down in, and had to roll out of it to get out. Not good.
    I found it best to step in with both feet, and then scoot down into the seat. Getting out: stand up first, and then stop over the side-rail...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I admit the SS is an attention-getter. But as a motorcycle, I'd prefer a Spyder. As a car, for that type, I'd find a good used little convertible. I used to have a BMW Z3 that was loads of fun, with none of the negatives that MRH described.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I been eyeing the Slingshot but not ready just yet.. I haven't sat in one yet and not sure about getting in and out of it. One day I like to test ride one and see if it will be something I will like??

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took one for a test drive a couple of years ago, and was surprised but less than happy. The getting in and out part is a chore, surprising somebody with injuries, finds this ok, but I am not a doctor. The heat issue on a 30 minute drive is unbelievable, even my co-passenger commented on it. People complain about the spyder. Top speed is way lower than the spyder, however they do have a get up and go spirit to them. Considered all the facts after the test drive and decided NO, think wearing the SEATBELT, in a so called motorcycle sealed the NO DEAL FATE FOR ME. After all that, it was an experience , especially sitting on the side of the highway , waiting for the POLICE, to run the plate and such. That is a whole different story. And NO , did not get pulled over for any infractions of any kind. If you have this ride, hope you enjoy it to the most, but as they say different strokes for different folks.

Spyder Garage

I recently saw them at the Minneapolis Motorcycle show, Due to a right knee injury, I (6'0", 250lbs) couldn't even get my bum leg over the sill to sit in the darned thing.
    Gotta say, much happier with the RT.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Sat in one last weekend at Bikes Blues & BBQ in Fayetteville Arkansas, cute but i was not impressed. Kinda looked like a BatMobile

Cruzr Joe

I think I heard similar comments before.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I totally agree have similar physical problems I miss my spyder but now can ride all day long with no pains still have to watch out for swollen ankles but I like stopping at tourist traps and all the sites anyway the sling is almost as more fun than my V8 vegas about same power to weight ratio but much better handeling.Sure miss the storage but hitch will be one of first mods.
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT