Spyder Garage

Default Planning for solo trip.

I have been reading and taking notes from people who have taken longer trips on their Spyder. I am planning a 2700 mile round trip to the Outer Banks of NC early next summer. For those people who have taken SOLO trips, did you prepare any differently than when you travel with a partner on the back or with another bike? I will have the bike serviced, list of Spyder dealers, etc. but I was wondering if there is anything I need to consider for a solo ride? I have a 2013 RTS (riding just fine, thank you, heat issues taken care of.)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If I'm solo, I usually carry a Seal Line waterproof bag on the back seat to get some extra luggage space. I use ROK straps to hold it on and it snaps on and off pretty easy at night.

Spyder Garage

I always carry tire patch kit and 12v air pump. Solo or not.

Spyder Garage

Default SOMEONE

report in each day....

if you are truly 'solo', and have a wife/husband, children, friend, etc back at home, call them each evening at the end of your ride to let them know you're OK...
    there is nothing worse for a loved one
    NOT KNOWING your status...

i usually give my wife a report on how my days ride went, and a tentative schedule of the roads i'll be riding the next day... sometimes the 'next days' roads change unexpectantly because one road looked better than the one i planned on taking...
    if you have an 'iphone', make sure the GPS function in
    'ON'... that way, God forbid, if something should happen, authorities will be able to find you... (i sure the NSA will always know where you are, but that's a different matter)...
    ride safely, and enjoy your ride...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 09-27-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

I would have Rogers app on my phone and perhaps a printed list of Spyders to the Rescue in the states you are traveling through.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good advice, so far. I check with those at home in each day by phone, and have iPad/laptop for Spyderlovers access and entertainment in the evenings. (Yeah, I need a life.) Mostly, don't worry! It's not like you're leaving civilization and might get stranded in a desert or foreign country. Have fun!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Not really..!!

when traveling alone long distances I use the follow mee app and the family can track me as I travel. I would suggest the antigravity jump starter which can jump start your spyder or anyone broken down, charge phone, computer etc. Most important is being able to reach help if needed. Rogers app is a must...though a ways off have a safe trip...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    when traveling alone long distances I use the follow mee app and the family can track me as I travel. I would suggest the antigravity jump starter which can jump start your spyder or anyone broken down, charge phone, computer etc. Most important is being able to reach help if needed. Rogers app is a must...though a ways off have a safe trip...
    I like that mee app idea. can you tell me more.

Thanks,
    Butch
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Yes, would like more info on this App. Where can I find it. iTunes doesn't return "follow Mee"
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Default Planning for solo trip

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I have been reading and taking notes from people who have taken longer trips on their Spyder. I am planning a 2700 mile round trip to the Outer Banks of NC early next summer. For those people who have taken SOLO trips, did you prepare any differently than when you travel with a partner on the back or with another bike? I will have the bike serviced, list of Spyder dealers, etc. but I was wondering if there is anything I need to consider for a solo ride? I have a 2013 RTS (riding just fine, thank you, heat issues taken care of.)
    I always ride solo and since they were available, I have carried an ACR PLB. This is a very small (pocket size) personal locater beacon that works off a satellite in case of an emergency. One can find oneself in the middle of nowhere with no assistance and this device can save your life. The battery is good for about 5 years. Like most others, I carry a tiny compressor and tire plugs and I'm considering Ride On. Each of my bikes has a first aid kit.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

I use Glympse as a tracking aide when I'm going solo. Offers lots of options.
    2015 RT S 1330 ACE SM6:
    Intense Red Pearl
    Utopia Drivers backrest
    Lamonsters NBV Hwy Pegs
    Lamonsters SpyderDock
    Lidlox Helmet Locks
    iJDMTOY seq turn signals
    SpyderPops foam grips, bump skid and missing belt guard,
    LED headlights & fog lights, BRP adjustable side air deflectors.
    BajaRon's stabilizer bar
    1330 primary muffler delete by Pit Bull
    Cust Dyn HMT 3rd brake light
    Squared Away laser align
    Stebel air horn
    Rear mud flap

Spyder Garage

I ride solo a lot. At gas stations, I use a debit card to pay for gas. Hubby can follow where I am through our on-line banking account. Then I text him at the end of the day.

Also have tools and assorted stuff in case something needs to be fixed.

Keep Rattigan Roger's app in my cell phone.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. The good thing about where you plan to travel, you are around friendly people, and not out in the wilds of some foreign country.

Help, if needed, is only a phone call or a internet post away.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'll be trying my first longer ride next weekend. About a five hour ride out to the Ozarks on Friday. Saturday we'll head to Eureka Springs, AR for a day trip and then backhome on Sunday. I'm sure this trip will give me a good idea how I hold up with my seat time.

I like the tracking device or app. I know I'll call and text the wife along the way but I know she will like to be able to find me any moment she wants.

Spyder Garage

I Googled follow me it seems like an awesome app I will install it and it is free
    Last edited by jtoro1; 09-27-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Carry quarts of oil and paper towels
    and bag of tool right size for spyder applications.

Spyder Garage

Hi, for your personal protection I would recommend a can of wasp and hornet spray.
    Does not need a permit to carry, don't have to be accurate, will stop man or beast at 15-20 feet and nobody dies.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69