Spyder Garage

Default STS heat question

I picked up a sweet 2013 sts with 800 miles for my wife who loves it. But today she said she was melting it seems the left side is getting way hot !! Her little leg got red from the heat, are they supposed to get that hot ? Even the dang gas cap would burn ya

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by james199 View Post
    I picked up a sweet 2013 sts with 800 miles for my wife who loves it. But today she said she was melting it seems the left side is getting way hot !! Her little leg got red from the heat, are they supposed to get that hot ? Even the dang gas cap would burn ya
    Have the side panels been updated? If so you will have an air inlet under the mirror on both sides. It is big enough to almost fit your hand.
    If you do not have these inlets, the bike will run hot. BRP will change the panels for free. The bike will run much cooler.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what I did: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-heat-solution

It has handled most of the heat issues and wasn't very costly. The panels are about as hot as my Honda PC800 panels.

I will get the new air scoop panels somewhere in the future as I added the factory fog lights blocking off those holes.

Jerry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First thing to do is check to be sure that the 2013 recall work was completed on this Spyder. You can enter the VIN here http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/...y-recalls.html. If that has been done then you need to talk to your dealer about getting the panels replaced for the 2014 panels as the others have suggested. Please be sure to check on the recall first.

Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

should not get that hot...check for those recalls
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default not fog light holes

Just a heads-up - in Oz we cannot have foglights as we have to have our low beam lights in those holes. The airflow panels go on easily - we had no problems as you can see from my avatar. Unless of course your foglights are somewhere else, and not in the holes in the black trim...

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    This is what I did: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-heat-solution

It has handled most of the heat issues and wasn't very costly. The panels are about as hot as my Honda PC800 panels.

I will get the new air scoop panels somewhere in the future as I added the factory fog lights blocking off those holes.

Jerry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just got my 2013 ST-S in May 2015, and I quickly noticed the heat problem. The solution is to replace the side panels with the 2014 ST panels as they have extra air intake vents.
    Find a dealer to commit to fixing your problem, it should be a no cost fix for you. The dealer has to apply for "Goodwill" from BRP to get the new panels, which may take a bit of time, maybe a week or two. Once the fix was installed on my Spyder all was good. The only heat source after the fix is when stopped in traffic was what has been affectionately referred to as the "Volcano Vent" which is at the base of the handlebars, right side is not an issue anymore.
    With the heat problem fixed and a BajaRon sway bar and Heim links installed, I am very happy with my Spyder!!!
    Good luck! Ride safe!

Spyder Garage

I checked the vin and theres no recall but I did contact the dealer and they said when I bring my rt in for a new ignition switch next week they will check it out . It should be hot by the time we get therd as they are just over a hour away. I'll keep you informed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default not a recall, a warranty fix

It didn't pop up on vin search as it is not a Recall - it is a Goodwill Warranty Fix. There is a long thread about ST Airflow Panels and one of the posts will give you the part number - if your dealer can't find it. It is an "ask and you shall receive" system if heat is an issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    First thing to do is check to be sure that the 2013 recall work was completed on this Spyder. You can enter the VIN here http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/...y-recalls.html. If that has been done then you need to talk to your dealer about getting the panels replaced for the 2014 panels as the others have suggested. Please be sure to check on the recall first.

Good luck.
    I don't think the recall check will work. The recall is for RT, not ST. Replacing the panels on the ST is more of a goodwill gesture on the part of Can-Am; there is no recall for the ST heat issue.

Thanks,
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ST heat issue is not a recall item, that is only for RT models! It is a Goodwill from BRP not warranty for 2013 ST models. Find a cooperative dealer to get the ball rolling.
    Lots of luck!!!!!! It should take a couple of weeks to get it completed. Ordering the panels takes a week to 10 days.

Spyder Garage

Took the wife's spyder in today and dealer is replacing the plastic said no problem so in a few weeks she'll be cool . all i can say is Wow BRP really looks out for there customers and that says a lot.

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST Limited Side Panel Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by james199 View Post
    Took the wife's spyder in today and dealer is replacing the plastic said no problem so in a few weeks she'll be cool . all i can say is Wow BRP really looks out for there customers and that says a lot.
    And, that's the way it should be. I took my 2013 ST-L to my local dealer in PA and asked them to look into the situation. They looked up the service report and found that Can-Am even says that if replacement panels are not available to match the original color, the dealership is to have the replacement panels pained to match. Mine were ordered on the spot.

Please keep us updated in your situation.

All the best,
    John

Spyder Garage

Just a quick update . The panels are in and it will be in the shop Friday.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

there should be a update to the ECM......dealer can perform this....I believe it was a bulletin not a recall maybe January 2014...maybe February 2014....have dealer check it out

MelloYelloSpyder

Make sure all the updates are done on the bike through BUDS as well. I had my dealer order the panels for me and took them home and installed them myself in a little over an hour. This was the first time I have removed any of the body panels from the bike. The biggest pain in the ass on getting things back together is getting the body panel screws into the slipnuts. What an effin pain that is sometimes. I always seem to have problems with the last panel I do no matter which side I do last..