Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tri-axis handlebar install video series

Hi folks.... well as always I shoot video that might help someone.
    This time around it is how to install the Tri-Axis handlebars.

1/15/2015 - Edited my RANT commentary... Not needed here...

This is a video series (it's 3 parts) I shot showing how to install the Tri-axis handlebars on a RT.

Feel free to ask questions and I will respond.

I hope this video series is helpful to someone AND ENJOY!

PART 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

I hope these videos help someone!

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-15-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tri-Axis Handlebars

DAMN IT... I misspelled handlebars in my thread title...

Lemont does not allow Vbulletin users to edit title threads

I wish I could fix it so it is searchable but alas it is stuck with the misspell

Lemont, can you please edit the title for me?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Nice!

Thanks Bob....great job! I wish I would have had your video instructions when I had done mine!!!

This will really help those who want to tackle a job like this!

BTW...I really like our tri axis bars.....no more neck or back pain on long trips as I have the handlebars exactly where I need them!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    DAMN IT... I misspelled handlebars in my thread title...

Lemont does not allow Vbulletin users to edit title threads

I wish I could fix it so it is searchable but alas it is stuck with the misspell

Lemont, can you please edit the title for me?

Bob
    I noticed it's fixed but

Would Edit Thread>Go Advanced work for you?
    I checked out a thread I started and saw where I was able to do something to the title.
    I never tried it though. I just noticed it to try and help the next person out.

Spyder Garage

I have to ask....
    Has anyone done this themselves now? Did these videos help?

Reason I ask is somehow Youtube messed them up and they do not play fully. Part 1 wont play for me even when I try to watch it in my Youtube manager. Part 3 wont finish... I complained to Youtube about it but no response.

Honestly, if no one needs these, I don't think I want to spend the time to edit them again and re-upload... Funny not a single person has said anything to me about them not working so I have to assume no one really needs them?

Freakin Youtube.... I am not happy

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We are swapping out the silver bars for black ones on a friend's Spyder and I thought I would watch this to see what I could learn. I'm hoping that swapping that part out isn't as time consuming as the Tri Axis bars.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will be watching your videos soon as in a few weeks I will be doing the Tri-axis bars on my 2014 RT-S.I will let you know if they help.From what I saw I would assume they will help

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We are swapping out the silver bars for black ones on a friend's Spyder and I thought I would watch this to see what I could learn. I'm hoping that swapping that part out isn't as time consuming as the Tri Axis bars.
    No.... that is super easy to do! You do not have to even go into what it takes to install the tri-axis bars just to replace the covers!

Be ready for the 4 top hex bolts though... My video does cover that.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

OK I am pretty PC savvy.... but I cannot get part 1 of this video series to play. It did and worked way back when I uploaded it. Now for me, it does not play all the way and in fact dies about 3 minutes in and youtube gives an error.

Can someone else tell me if this is a problem for you?

I have a feeling I have to re-upload these due to youtube screwing them up!

So someone try to play part 1 and let me know.... Then.... if someone needs it to work and it isn't, I will spend the time to do it again.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

OK I am pretty PC savvy.... but I cannot get part 1 of this video series to play. It did and worked way back when I uploaded it. Now for me, it does not play all the way and in fact dies about 3 minutes in and youtube gives an error.

So someone try to play part 1 and let me know.... Then.... if someone needs it to work and it isn't, I will spend the time to do it again.

Bob
    Worked just fine for me. I don't really see any difference in the new handlebars, what is the difference?

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Bob
    No good for me.Stops and says error I hope you can fix.I plan on watching when I do my bars.

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Well I did the Tri-axis bars and I would have to say its really not that hard.I do have lots of experience with ripping bikes/Spyders apart so that might have helped.Yes there is a few tricky bolts to do and hope you do not lose them.Overall its not that bad of a job.The videos help for sure because the instructions are really not that great.

Spyder Garage

Hi, Bob. Yes, please keep your videos up. We will have a set on our RT later this spring and I will be the wrench. FWIW, I played the first vid, then paused it to answer the phone. When I came back, the video would not play but the audio did. I believe this is more a function of YouTube and IOS than it is the video itself as I've seen this issue before.

Spyder Garage

I am going to try to re-upload part 1 this week. The PC also has an issue with playing part 1 sometimes so it's not just iOS.

Stormtrooper, glad to hear t all went OK!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Just a heads up.There is a new set of tri-axis bars on E-bay starting bid of $425 plus $12.50 shipping no reserve.Good deal

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, thanks for the video. My girlfriend wanted the stock black bars off my 14 installed on her 12 and Joe and I tackled that last weekend. We had no instructions so your video was really helpful.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am going to try to re-upload part 1 this week. The PC also has an issue with playing part 1 sometimes so it's not just iOS.

Stormtrooper, glad to hear t all went OK!

Bob
    When I uploaded a video the other day I saw something about a 15 minute time limit on the video length. Maybe you ran into that as your first two are more than 15 minutes.

I don't know if it's in the video or not but one caution from my experience. Be very careful with the top end of the trunk and glovebox release cables. The ferrule at the top of them is not rugged and is easily broken, and not easy to fix. I had mine changed when the DPS was swapped out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bob. Your videos convinced me I have no interest in changing handlebars, and I have taken parts of and on the Fat White Chick.

Just not that many at one time...

Spyder Garage

Youtube long ago updated my account to 1 hour videos because of how many I have done so no 15 minute issue there.

I complained to Youtube about the issue and it looks like they fixed it. As of this AM I am able to play the video in Chrome, I.E., Android Youtube APP and iPhone Youtube APP.

So looks like they fixed it for me

Ann, glad the video helped!

WasWinger, yes I was aware of your dilemma so was very careful there with the cable. In fact I pointed this out in the video and what had happened to you telling folks to be careful.

MisterP, really not that hard just time consuming. Having the right tools that I outline will keep you from getting hung up.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default handlebar

I had the tri-axis installed. I know what the top screws control but what about the bottom one? I try to loosen it but it is extremely tight and I cant get movement. Can you explain? Thanks

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    I had the tri-axis installed. I know what the top screws control but what about the bottom one? I try to loosen it but it is extremely tight and I cant get movement. Can you explain? Thanks
    The lower screw is intended to be that way. It adjusts the height of the grips by pivoting the handlebar up and down. Since there is no way to lock the screw into place, or torque it down like you can the upper ones, it is made to be hard to turn. That way it won't creep turn from where you set it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The videos worked for me on firefox

Spyder Garage

The videos worked for me on Safari. Thanks Bob for the videos.
    I am going to install some Tri Axis bars on my wife's ST Limited in the next couple of weeks and your video helped me out a lot. I have already put on a set of RT bars to make sure that they would fit so these should be the same. The only issue I see is putting that bottom plastic skirt back on but I will find a way.

Brian

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    You did get the big Allen tool that comes with the bars correct? You will need that to turn the bottom screw. As WasWinger said above, it is hard to turn for a reason but using the tool you should have no problems. Again as he said it is for changing the height / forward back angle.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

You did get the big Allen tool that comes with the bars correct? You will need that to turn the bottom screw. As WasWinger said above, it is hard to turn for a reason but using the tool you should have no problems. Again as he said it is for changing the height / forward back angle.

Bob
    Thanks for the input. Yes I did get the Allen tool but I may have tightened it much and I think I will have to use a ratchet tool to get more leverage.