Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Red face PROS & CONS OF 2011 RT-S

HELP! I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ALL(out the door) TOMORROW!
    I've been on You Tube and all the Spyder sites for several weeks; I've heard so many Love and Hate stories, I'm really confused! I originally wanted an H.D. TriGlide, but the Spyder has so many more safety features, it seems to be a better choice, if the electronics don't go crazy and it doesn't catch on fire! Any advice from you experienced Spyder RT owners/operators will be greatly appreciated. thank-you!

Active Member Santa & Mrs Claus's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT

We have 2 2011 RT's (One SM5 & One SE5).
    On the SM5 we have 38,000KM the SE5 we have 11000KM. The only problem was poor service from the local dealership.

Spyder Garage

The 2010s, 11s, & 12s are great machines. The early 2010s had a DPS programming issue, which was fixed. The 11s & 12s are terrific machines. The heat issues were with the 13s, and all of the 990s get warm, just not like the 13s. Prices for all three years will be pretty close, and should be in the $12 to 15K region for a good low milage choice (based on our area). If you get a great price, don't hesitate. If it's not a great price, get a 2014 - there are some really good prices starting to show up. Out here, dealers want about the same money for a new 2012 RTS and a 2014 Base - on that choice I bought a new 2014.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT-S's

Quote Originally Posted by Santa & Mrs Claus View Post
    We have 2 2011 RT's (One SM5 & One SE5).
    On the SM5 we have 38,000KM the SE5 we have 11000KM. The only problem was poor service from the local dealership.
    Thanks, good to hear, except for the poor service!

Spyder Garage

LOVE my 2011 RTS and NO WAY would I trade it in for a 2014.....

I am happy and I just don't see the need to spend a crap load when I am having fun... Some like to have the latest and greatest.... For me as long as I am enjoy money well spent... I will continue to ENJOY IT!

Let me show you"

AND

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2011s were GREAT bikes... Granted; the issue of throttle bodies was still being addressed, but they were far better than the 2010s in that regard.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Having had a 2011, had no issues at all.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first Spyder was a 2011 RTS and I loved it. It's true the 10s, 11s and 12s didn't have the heat issues like the 13s, but you will have some heat coming onto your right foot. SpyderPop's block-off plate will help some, but you'll still notice it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought Big Red 1 in March 2011. I had a problem with the steering (DPS) and a sensor was replaced....had a throttle body replaced @ 6,000 miles....all under warranty. I put a heat shield on to help with the heat. No problem since and I have 15K on BR1 now. He runs like a hose. My original dealer went broke....bad business dealings. However a new dealer opened two miles from my home....I have known him as a Yamaha dealer and he took on BRP....he is great.

You will save a lot of $ getting a 2011. Check on dealers in your area....not all are good. Good luck.

I don't ride BR1 as often as I should as Punkin', my 2002 Motor Trike loves to run. He is jealous of his stable mate and makes fun of his two front wheels and other parts of Big Red. I have 65K on Punkin' and he has never been in the dealer's other than to visit. He is flawless so I will keep him as he is not worth much on the used market. I love both.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default Dont worry about any heat

Quote Originally Posted by RANGERDALE View Post
    I've been on You Tube and all the Spyder sites for several weeks; I've heard so many Love and Hate stories, I'm really confused! I originally wanted an H.D. TriGlide, but the Spyder has so many more safety features, it seems to be a better choice, if the electronics don't go crazy and it doesn't catch on fire! Any advice from you experienced Spyder RT owners/operators will be greatly appreciated. thank-you!
    If you've ridden a Harley you've felt much more heat than any of the early RT's. (no experience with the 13 model) The wifes 11RT just turned 57,000 miles (bought Nov 2011) and shes really pleased with it right now although I'm hankerin for the 2014. My Road King sat this weekend waiting for a voltage regulator and crossover pipe while I gawked at the foliage in the mountains ridin B_____. Hey, I'd rather ride than wrench.

We got the extended warranty and BRP has been very good about warranty-ing two throttle bodies.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default 2011

I also have a "Big Red" out in the garage. 49,300 miles and still smiling since Aug 21, 2011. It's had a couple electrical glitches here and there, but overall it is a superb bike.

A gent asked me the other day if I would buy another one. "Hell yea!" I wish the dealer were closer, but the ride is ok, only 45 miles. I am on my second 3 year maintenance agreement because my arthritis and back prohibit doing any real mx myself. It has had every single thing done that's on BRPs mx lists under the agreement and I've got the 20 pounds of paperwork to prove it. Saved a ton of money and know everything is ok and has been done correctly. I did have to remove the fuel cannister due to horrible fumes and dripping. Went through two replacement cannisters and purge valves and never have overfilled the tank. Finally removed the system, ran the vent hose to the back to keep dripping away from the catalitic converter and exhaust stuff and it's never dripped a drop or had and fumes in the last 35,000 miles. Only relatively few bikes had this problem. but the above was the solution for me. Prices should be great on used 2011s, although I have not checked. It's got lots of power once you get a little aggressive with the throttle. I'm an old guy, but like to move on out now and then, just to make sure it's running right! I'm sure the 1330 has more to give, but the V2 is perfect for me. Ride with my HOG group a lot and sure have no problems with power or with the HOGS, it's a superb group. We do have a couple more Spyders in the local PGRs now, no big problem with their bikes either. PM me anytime, if you want more boring details. Good luck with your Spyder, new or used. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way if you get it looked at by a good dealer before you jump at it. Be nice to look at the owner's paper trail also. Lastly, a dealer can look it up and check for any info recorded.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Here an owner of both a 2010 Premier and a 2011 (Purchased new in 2012), very happy with both. We are approaching 17K miles on the 2011 and other than dps fixed under warranty, and a set of front tires, we have experienced no issues.

If you are buying used, have the dealer print you out the service history on your machine. Make sure it is a good one.

We are also happy with our new 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Even with my recent troubles, I would not trade it for anything.

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RTS SE5 with 18,700 miles and LOVE it!!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT-AC (farkled up to and above "S" specs) and had only minor problems early on. Haven't had any in a long, long time.

As for a good dealer...you're close enough to go to Central Florida Power Sports in Kissimmee...they're the best around, period.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up THANK YOU ALL FOR RESPONDING, YOU HELPED IN MY DECISION!

Well I stopped by my Harley Davidson shop for one last try to get MY H.D. TRI-GLIDE(2011) for a price in the same ball park as the 2011 Spyder RT-S SE5 I am looking at! Well, as always their Chariots are worth every penny they are asking, so "discount" is not an option, regardless of our three year relationship!

I have finally thrown in the towel, and called it quits on ever owning a H.D. TriGlide. I headed for Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee where I rode My 2011, Viper Red, RT-S, SE5, on about a 10 mile loop. Great Trike! Good power, pretty smooth, could be a lot of fun, except for my burning right ankle! Just to be sure with my choice, I asked to take out a 2014 Cognac RT-S SM6, 1330 engine! OMG! That was a pleasant mistake! I decided it was worth the additional $3,000. Still cheaper than I could have gotten my 2011 H.D. TriGlide, and with a 4 year warranty! This is the best bike/trike I have ever ridden(probably 50 over my 69 years)! I'm pretty sure, this will be the last bike/trike I'll ever need to keep me happy! No "I'M SURE" it's my last bike/trike, because my wife said, she would kill me if it wasn't!!

Anyway, hoping for many years and miles of GREAT Spyder adventures! CF Powersports is starting me on my way, by signing me up with thw Central Florida Spyder Ryders! Many thanks to Charles and Chuck for putting up with my procrastination, and coming up with a decent deal for all! Thanks again for all the knowledgeable feed back!

Ranger Dale
    Central Florida
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6
    Mine(and the bank's) on 9-25-14

Spyder Garage

Well I stopped by my Harley Davidson shop for one last try to get MY H.D. TRI-GLIDE(2011) for a price in the same ball park as the 2011 Spyder RT-S SE5 I am looking at! Well, as always their Chariots are worth every penny they are asking, so "discount" is not an option, regardless of our three year relationship!

I have finally thrown in the towel, and called it quits on ever owning a H.D. TriGlide. I headed for Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee where I rode My 2011, Viper Red, RT-S, SE5, on about a 10 mile loop. Great Trike! Good power, pretty smooth, could be a lot of fun, except for my burning right ankle! Just to be sure with my choice, I asked to take out a 2014 Cognac RT-S SM6, 1330 engine! OMG! That was a pleasant mistake! I decided it was worth the additional $3,000. Still cheaper than I could have gotten my 2011 H.D. TriGlide, and with a 4 year warranty! This is the best bike/trike I have ever ridden(probably 50 over my 69 years)! I'm pretty sure, this will be the last bike/trike I'll ever need to keep me happy! No "I'M SURE" it's my last bike/trike, because my wife said, she would kill me if it wasn't!!

Anyway, hoping for many years and miles of GREAT Spyder adventures! CF Powersports is starting me on my way, by signing me up with thw Central Florida Spyder Ryders! Many thanks to Charles and Chuck for putting up with my procrastination, and coming up with a decent deal for all! Thanks again for all the knowledgeable feed back!

Ranger Dale
    Central Florida
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6
    Mine(and the bank's) on 9-25-14

Let me be the first to say . Your even going to like the 2014 more than you would have the 2011.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I absolutely loved my 2011 RTS SM5, but went nuts over the 2014 Limited SE6 & got it for less than a 2014 RT-S, SM6. I was only torn between the SM or SE. After receiving some great advise on this site from some very knowledgeable people I went & got the SE6 the next day, & having quit smiling yet. You will absolutely love it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your decision, RangerDale!! Like we say about the 2014 RTs, don't ride one unless you're ready to buy! You've proved the point. Can't wait to see the pics!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Own both

I ride a 2013 Harley Triglide.My wife rides 2013 Spyder RT. This is her second Spyder. The 1st was a 2011 RT. Biggest peice of S--- I have ever owned. From day one it spent more time in shop then it did on the road. Constant fuel and electric problems.Handling was terrible. Put 23000 km on it and gave up and traded it. 2013 seems to be much better. Better handling and no problems in 13000 km's Some pros and cons. The spyder has a softer ride then the Harley. But because of this the bike seems to move under you at all times when riding down the road. The Harley is much more stable. The Harley also corners much better. It does not make you fell like the bike is tipping over. The Spyder has more power. But the Harley has much better gas milage. At half tank in my Harley I am looking for a place for my wife to fuel up.The Harley also has a much more comfortable seating postiion. Especially if you are tall. The big thing is the resale. A used triglide in Canada will sell for almost as much as you paid for it. Try that with a Spyder. I hope this helps a little. Any more questions let me know.