Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st review of 2014 RT Limited

OK, I loved it...Rode her for over 300 miles over the weekend...Now, coming off of 2 wheeled bikes after a lot of yrs, I expected some time to get used to the Spyder..Still not quite there yet but looking forward to more "getting used to time"...Anyway, 1st habit I have to break is not taking twisties so fast...Went on a road I know well along the Delaware River with lots of tight curves and felt like I shouldn't push the Spyder so hard..Two wheel cruisers are much better suited for that..Have to remember I am now on a full-fledged touring machine...Buut really, only issue I had with the bike was the Eco mode I tried out...So used to shifting by sound on my 8 prior bikes...And with the eco mode, for the 1st couple hrs, it had me shifting very early, like whenever the rpms hit 2400/2500...but then later in the ride, it wasn't telling me to shift into 2nd or 3rd until about 4000 rpms...may have to get that looked at....Overall, very pleasant ride and I think I have my last bike....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which road??
    We just came up 209; this past Saturday...
    But if you've got one in your pocket, that has some twisties in it; I'm all ears!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review. It appears that most don't like or use the Eco-Mode, myself included. I shift by sound, for me that's 2750 - 3000 rpm's for most upshifts. I let the 2014 shift down by itself.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!! Welcome..!!

To the roadste world and this site. Forget the eco which was probably put in to satisfy the epa people. It does not do much to help. Certainly not enough to make it worthwhile using it. Once you get the hang of things you will be able to take those twisties the way you like. There are some modifications to help like the BajaRon sway bar and better shocks. Enjoy your new ryde and later if you like make the mods...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You are likely to discover just how fast you can take twisties with the Spyder once you become more accustomed to its handling. I always have to wait on Goldwings and Harleys when I ride curves - only crotch rockets leave me behind
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    You are likely to discover just how fast you can take twisties with the Spyder once you become more accustomed to its handling. I always have to wait on Goldwings and Harleys when I ride curves - only crotch rockets leave me behind
    This.

when I started with my first Spyder, I took curves painfully slow. Now I zip through them without little regard (but within reason of course... Being aware I'm not on a crotch-rocket).

point is, you'll become more comfortable with it in time.

congrats!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OR THIS METHOD

.....I normally have my 1330 in ECO mode ( for the gas mileage ) but I don't look at it........I shift by sound and feel ............always have ...always will .....Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Which road??
    But if you've got one in your pocket, that has some twisties in it; I'm all ears!
    River rd on PA side of the Delaware river...I usually start in New Hope and ride up to Easton...Sometimes I start below Washington's Crossing....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a lot further South than we normally get...
    I used to prowl both sides of the Delaware back in the mid-seventies...
    Right from Trenton; North to wherever we could find some trouble!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We did a Memorial ride with about 200 bikes and about 1/2 were Hells Angels. Those boys ride hard. Even new to the RT and riding two up we left them behind in the curves. Guy ask me what we had done to make the bike so fast. Told him it came factory that way.

Lose the ECO. Less than useless and lugs the bike sometimes. Listen for that sweet spot for shifting (2700-3200). You'll find it. Also, play with the rear air suspension to find you best spot. And replace the sway bar first up. Baja Rons is ten times better. Enjoy your awesome ride!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post

Lose the ECO. Less than useless and lugs the bike sometimes. Listen for that sweet spot for shifting (2700-3200). You'll find it. Also, play with the rear air suspension to find you best spot. And replace the sway bar first up. Baja Rons is ten times better. Enjoy your awesome ride!
    Would you guys explain ECO. Is this a fifth or sixth gear on the 2014? If you don't use it, what gear do you cruse in? Some say it is not useful....just wondering. Thanks

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Would you guys explain ECO. Is this a fifth or sixth gear on the 2014? If you don't use it, what gear do you cruse in? Some say it is not useful....just wondering. Thanks

It has nothing to do with gearing. With the advent of electronic throttles came the ability to program them. So eco mode is a combination of throttle response, timing changes, and other tweeks to how the engine operates that should result in better gas milage at the sacrifice of performance. It also incorporates a "when to shift" indicator which further smooths out the engine. I personally don't use it, but some guys turn it on and ignore the when to shift light.

Spyder Garage

Default now have Eco turned off...

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    It has nothing to do with gearing. With the advent of electronic throttles came the ability to program them. So eco mode is a combination of throttle response, timing changes, and other tweeks to how the engine operates that should result in better gas milage at the sacrifice of performance. It also incorporates a "when to shift" indicator which further smooths out the engine. I personally don't use it, but some guys turn it on and ignore the when to shift light.
    I did some playing with Eco mode while driving home yesterday. With Eco on, the accel from the stoplights was gradual and required more throttle to "keep up" with the folks that stomp the accel when leaving the light. At 45mph, when turning Eco mode off, the rpm's came up and the spyder became more "lively" with no change in my throttle. Speeding up and slowing down became much crisper, more responsive. Next set of lights were done with Eco mode off. Much faster accel, less throttle effort to keep up with the cages. I will finish the tank of gas to see what the effects are on the mileage.

note: I usually have the Eco tell me to shift either during or just after I have already shifted...
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Eco just changes the throttle map by softening the throttle curve and limiting max throttle to 60% of normal.
    1330 RT SE6 Timeless Black...
    "Tre Pistoni, Tre Ruote, Tre Mendo"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Which road??

Route 125 from Pine Grove to Shamokin Pa is a good one. 50 miles and ice cream stops at both ends.
    I ride that one frequently and love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does the '14 have six gears vs five on BR1? And I see you can turn off the ECO thingie....thanks guys.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steversssss View Post
    River rd on PA side of the Delaware river...I usually start in New Hope and ride up to Easton...Sometimes I start below Washington's Crossing....
    611 and 32
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Same here.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

I don't need no stinking eco mode!
    3:16