Spyder Garage

Question Footboard Dropping??

So I had a question, yesterday I was driving through one of the grocery store parking lots when there are speed bumps around. After going slow over them, all of the sudden, I heard the bike bottom out then the right foot rest fell to the ground hanging by the heel. I happened to kick it back up using my heel but when I got home, I noticed a latch facing downward underneath the spyder. With a slight push of this lever, this foot rest fell again. I also checked the left side and it doesn't have the same thing.

So the question, why is this there?? It faces towards the street so I can easily see this thing popping loose again. I'm just afraid it will get caught up on something and damage the spyder severly.

Thoughts?

13 STS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sting1373 View Post
    So I had a question, yesterday I was driving through one of the grocery store parking lots when there are speed bumps around. After going slow over them, all of the sudden, I heard the bike bottom out then the right foot rest fell to the ground hanging by the heel. I happened to kick it back up using my heel but when I got home, I noticed a latch facing downward underneath the spyder. With a slight push of this lever, this foot rest fell again. I also checked the left side and it doesn't have the same thing.

So the question, why is this there?? It faces towards the street so I can easily see this thing popping loose again. I'm just afraid it will get caught up on something and damage the spyder severly.

Thoughts?

13 STS SE5
    You are the first to report that the footboard dropped without the brake pedal releasing it like should work. Have your dealer check it out.

It is there because in certain conditions the brake pedal needs to travel farther than normal. So the floorboard drops out of the way to give you full use of all the brake pedal travel.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You are the first to report that the footboard dropped without the brake pedal releasing it like should work. Have your dealer check it out.

It is there because in certain conditions the brake pedal needs to travel farther than normal. So the floorboard drops out of the way to give you full use of all the brake pedal travel.
    I had mine drop 2 times after driving through Spyder swallowing pot holes. It has always stayed put under normal conditions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a pretty decent safety innovation... If you mash the pedal as hard as you can; you'll never run out of pedal travel.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Always seemed to me to be a bit of a Rube Goldberg solution to the problem. I feel all of the brake travel necessary should be above the floor board, and that the floor board pivoting and dropping away at a critical moment is unsafe.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

"A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Got me looking! Mine is ST lmt but no floorboard problems &@ 6400miles worst roads in country fyi, just ask, LA sux (thier not pot holes, they are pregraves for road kill!) FYI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Always seemed to me to be a bit of a Rube Goldberg solution to the problem. I feel all of the brake travel necessary should be above the floor board, and that the floor board pivoting and dropping away at a critical moment is unsafe.
    I think that if the floorboard drops out of your way during a "" moment; that's going to be the least of your worries, if you can't get all of your braking power available to you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A good point to post about. It's there if we need it, but hopefully we wont need it.

Sounds like one needs to be careful on bad or bumpy roads though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So I guess I'm trying to understand.... Is it supposed to drop down with the flip of that lever or is it supposed to drop only if the brake is mashed and the lever is pushed?

I only ask because the spyder is in service now for an error code that popped up over the weekend so I can have them look at the brake lever too.

Spyder Garage

When the brake pedal moves far enough it pushes the lever and releases the floorboard. In your case the speed bump was so high it hit the lever and released the floorboard. Have the dealer look at it for damage and have them report it to BRP. If this is a problem that occurs often to others and is reported they can redesign future models.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Fair enough. I'll have them look at it too and report it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me too. My floorboard has brought a few times when going over speed bumps and I've just used my heel to pop it back in place. I will be taking it in having them though.

Susie
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red