Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low on oil

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I SHOULD HAVE QUALIFIED THIS OIL

[QUOTE=OldCowboy;877403]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

I am somewhat concerned about the Rotella T-6. The owners manual states that oil that meets the API SM spec should not be used. Rotella T-6 meets the API SM spec. http://s02.static-shell.com/content/...6-brochure.pdf
    .......Sorry the Rotella t-6 is certified for the 1330 ACE engine ....................Since this is what I have now I forget the 998 is different ....Mea Culpa .......Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I love oil threads .

My 2012 was good for 1/2 quart every 1000. Pretty much clockwork. The bike had 800 some miles when I bought it, 250 mile ride home, I didn't know Spyders so I didn't check until after I got it home and read up. Sho' nuff it was barely showing at the bottom of the stick. After that I checked much more often and kept it topped up.

I'll check the 2014 every fillup anyway, it's a lot easier to do. I bought the first three services in advance so I won't be doing oil changes for awhile. After that I might get with Ron or may just keep letting Brewers do it. I "know" it doesn't affect warranty but it's still easier if a problem comes up to point at dealer records, and building a relationship with a good dealer isn't a bad thing (and they're now a sponsor here).

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle oil vs non-motorcycle oil

I hope I have not missed this in the thread. The reason for using motorcycle oil is the oil also runs in the transmission. The oil designated for motorcycles contains polymers to withstand the bashing the oil takes between the gears. Without the additives, the oil breaks down much more quickly.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The biggest difference in motorcycle oils and auto oils is the absence of certain friction reducers in the motorcycle oils. API SM and SN and ILSAC GF-4 and GF-5 oils contain friction reducers that can cause motorcycle clutches to slip and burn up.

Spyder Garage

T6 is MA won't that be ok in a 996 ?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White