Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding gear for big women

I am a large hipped women looking for riding pants. Most brands stop at size 18 which is to small in the hips. Men's pants are to long and pads are not quite adjustable to my body. What do other plus size women do?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't have an answer for you but if you go to Girls on Spyders on Facebook (you have to send them a request to join) and post your question there I am sure you will get tons of responses.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Still looking

Still looking for clothing. I am 5'3" 190 pounds, with wide hips. Found Sedici brand had large sizes but the production is poor quality. First pair of pants belt loop tore out after 4 weeks. Returned with no questions asked. Second pair belt loop gone after 2 week. These are the loops that hold the plastic cinches that the belt loops through. Trying Olympia brand now, got the jacket and it is a good fit, still waiting on the pants. Have a pair of BMW jeans fits my hips but the legs are long. I know, lots of gear but hubby rides BMW GS R1300 and says if I make him wear all the gear all the time, I have to also.
    Making friends where ever I ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I went to chaps until I can get my weight down to a level where I can wear riding pants. My jacket is from Olympia which fits excellently, & I'd really like to get the matching pants. Not because they match (I'm not that vain), but because of the superior padding & protection that I've come to rely on with the jacket. The leather chaps are much, much better than jeans or scrub pants only, but they are not as good as the pants from Olympia.

So, to get into these pants, I need to lose about 20-30 pounds. I have come to regard this issue as a motivation, & last semester I took a walking for fitness class and a weight training class. I lost 13 pounds and several inches all over. As additional motivation, my riding buddy & I are training for the Peachtree Road Race next July in Atlanta.

I found my chaps at jafrum.com and they fit well, look good, & were reasonably priced. Follow the directions & measure around the thickest part of your thigh to get the right size; additionally, do your best not to get upset when the size chart says 4X. Mine did, but I bought them anyway, & I'm ignoring the "size" with dignity.

Good luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Check with www.cyclegear.com in the winter I swear by their freeze out gear and cool out in the summer and you can order up to a 6X online. I was able to get a padded jacket from them as well. I dont ride in padded pants but I do wear regular jeans and chaps. I went to a local motorcycle gear shop that had a seamstress and they custom altered a pair of chaps for me. My hooded kevlar jacket came from http://www.gogogearla.com/ and she recently start selling kevlar pants but I havent checked them out. Froggtogg or Columbia for rain gear. Check out http://www.onestopplus.com

Im between a 2-3x and 5'1 so I truly understand your frustration.

Spyder Garage

I would recommend checking out motorcycle house to see if they have any cheaper branded mens pants that'll fit you. Honestly, taking your gear to the tailors goe a very long way in helping the fitment, they can definitely trim the length no problem.
    http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/leath...ps-for-men.htm

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Leathers for Women

Quote Originally Posted by Wifey View Post
    I am a large hipped women looking for riding pants. Most brands stop at size 18 which is to small in the hips. Men's pants are to long and pads are not quite adjustable to my body. What do other plus size women do?
    I had been looking for a winter motorcycle jacket since October. Every coat I tried on either was too long in the sleaves (womens) or too narrow around and would ride up because they were meant for men's hips. I am 5 feet tall and wear between a size 2x to 3x. I have a summer jacket but can't put any layering under it. I stopped at a store in Portland Oregon called Langlitz Leather. They hand make leather motorcycle jackets and leather pants. I ended up paying a fortune for a leather jacket off their rack that fit. It was worth it to me to have a jacket that fit. Each jacket has their own serial number. I have actually thought of specifically putting it on my home owner's insurance. They do not make chaps, but do make leather pants. With being as short as I am and the difficulty I am having with my chaps, I am considering saving my money to get a pair of leather pants.

Spyder Garage

Default Jacket

I am the same size as you are: 5'2, eyes of not so blue and larger sized
    I found and purchased a man's XXL tourmaster transition 3 and it fits like a dream!!! It has a 2 way zipper, many brands do not, that makes
    it easier to sit on my Spyder. I removed some of the padding, sorry, it is uncomfortable for me. I really like my new jacket!! AND it is in hi-vis yellow so
    that I can be seen even better!
    I also found one for my husband on ebay. We had transition 2, but, the 3s are better!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sewing

This may not work for you if you've never sewed, but I make a lot of my own clothes. There are fabric online stores that sell a category of "pleather" as well as waterproof
    fabric. The easiest pattern is just front back, side seams and elastic in the waist. I always make too big and then take in where needed. Do you think you'd take a chance and
    make something or is that out of the question?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hello,
    I had the same problem, I bought mens and cut them off. But now I love the calve chaps. The tops of my legs don't get cold anyway. I really love them. Good luck'

Spyder Garage

Default Take a look here

This place seems to have some good stuff at reasonable prices:

http://www.leatherup.com/?utm_source...ampaign=Criteo

Keep in mind womens fashion is not really my forte.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Check out Motoport.
    http://www.motoport.com/
    My wife and I have their stretch kevlar jackets and pants. They custom make them to fit you. If you send them a pair of your jeans they'll make pants to fit. High quality and a great value. I bought my jacket from them in 1999 and wear it every time I ride. Their stretch kevlar material passes air very nicely and is comfortable in hot weather and yet provides great protection. Wayne will take great care of you. If you can get to their store have them show you their collection of crashed jackets and pants. The cheap mesh ones will scare the crap out of you.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default larger size women's clothing

Relatively new over the past year is or so is that the Can Am riding gear now have a large line of plus sizes for women.