Spyder Garage

Default Mirrors Fell Off My RT Ltd

I know that there was a thread about this some time ago, but I want to share my experience. While riding today, my rear wheel hit a big pothole, and both of my mirrors fell off. Fortunately, I had cable tied the connectors on both mirrors, so they stayed with the . I took my two do rags and tied them back on. Looked kind of dopey, but it got me home. Like the previous post, the upper "washers" - that is what BRP calls them - were both broken. Fortunately, after having read the previous post, I bought 2 of each for the left & right sides. Cheap plastic c**p, but not cheap to buy. Nonetheless, I was glad I had them. Replaced both & now I have two more spares, one for each side. Decided to do a more permanent - if not exactly ascetically pleasing - fix by screwing the mirrors to the body with stainless steel screws. I will soon paint them flat black so that they are not so conspicuous. Another example of BRP cheapening out at the owners expense. I mean , come on, you hit a bump & the mirrors fall off? Glad it did not happen while we were at SpyderQuest, or we would have been up S**t creek without a paddle. I would recommend that folks buy the replacement parts, and carry them on the along with a screwdriver with an assortment of torx drivers in case this happens on the road to someone else. Here's a picture of the fix.

20140919_180255.jpg I know, not pretty, but it works.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

here is the tread, i like your idea for fasting them http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t-to-BRP-below
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Sorry you became a victim too. It was my mirrors that fell off. I know someone else on the forum came up with a way to mount the mirrors more securely. I will pm him to see if he can post some pictures. He was at spyderfest so maybe someone might post pictures. I'm still trying to get BRP to cover under warranty since they went back to the earlier style clips & ball studs. The 2013's use a different clip than the 2014 & earlier models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Yep. My left mirror fell off on the way to Spyderquest, same thing, bump in the road. Same clip broke. Mine is bungeed on. Progressive sold out of the clips. I will order new ones.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I know that there was a thread about this some time ago, but I want to share my experience. While riding today, my rear wheel hit a big pothole, and both of my mirrors fell off. Fortunately, I had cable tied the connectors on both mirrors, so they stayed with the . I took my two do rags and tied them back on. Looked kind of dopey, but it got me home. Like the previous post, the upper "washers" - that is what BRP calls them - were both broken. Fortunately, after having read the previous post, I bought 2 of each for the left & right sides. Cheap plastic c**p, but not cheap to buy. Nonetheless, I was glad I had them. Replaced both & now I have two more spares, one for each side. Decided to do a more permanent - if not exactly ascetically pleasing - fix by screwing the mirrors to the body with stainless steel screws. I will soon paint them flat black so that they are not so conspicuous. Another example of BRP cheapening out at the owners expense. I mean , come on, you hit a bump & the mirrors fall off? Glad it did not happen while we were at SpyderQuest, or we would have been up S**t creek without a paddle. I would recommend that folks buy the replacement parts, and carry them on the along with a screwdriver with an assortment of torx drivers in case this happens on the road to someone else. Here's a picture of the fix.

We did exactly that. Bought spare washers and a couple of screws from the dealer before we left for New England this morning. One rider posted that someone had bumped his on the ferry and broke that top washer. That was enough for me to have a couple as spares. Your pothole sounds like some we have seen here in New York. I thought Texas was the only state they did it bigger!
    Kind of pitiful that we need bungees or bandanas to secure the mirrors in case they come loose. Good idea to zip tie the connectors. That saved you some big $$$. I will do that also. Good tip!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad you had the foresight to tie the connectors to the mirrors otherwise

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;876568]
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Sorry you became a victim too. It was my mirrors that fell off. I know someone else on the forum came up with a way to mount the mirrors more securely. I will pm him to see if he can post some pictures. He was at spyderfest so maybe someone might post pictures. I'm still trying to get BRP to cover under warranty since they went back to the earlier style clips & ball studs. The 2013's use a different clip than the 2014 & earlier models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE...............I came up with a permanent fix for this problem just before SPYDERQUEST , and told everyone here I was going to be there......and a whopping 3 people actually looked at it. My fix is a bit more involved than the one shown above but less visible .....It involves a hidden clip attached to the panel that surrounds the headlights. Then you drill a hole up thru the front lower corner of the mirror housing and put in a small pan head sheet metal screw. That mirror cannot come off un-less you take out that screw................When Pierre (Spyder TV) did a piece an my mods He ran out of time so I'll try and get some PICS up.......Mike
    Dang it, I knew you were gonna be there & I wanted to see that mod. But you have to understand that I had to get the missus up at the crack of dawn each day - not something that she likes - then have breakfast, jump on the & go on whatever ride we had scheduled. like on Saturday. In. The. Rain.Then dinner & put her to bed. Sorry I did not try to find you at the closing ceremony. I was too busy winning "Farkle Bingo". Another time.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am pretty sure you took some grief when you posted, some people said it could not happen, etc.etc.! Sure looks like it can and they should be eating pie! JMHO!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THIS one needs to go on everybody's wish-list: a better mirror attachment system.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You would think that after so many years BRP would get the point and start using at least one screw to hold them on. ... unless, of course, they intend for the sale of replacement mirrors to be a profit center for them.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just made a new metal washer and replaced the cheap plastic one.... Won't have any problem again of it breaking....Took about 30 min. to machine them out of stainless steel.... so I made 2 of them.... one for each side...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....I've had my mirrors off the bike quite a few times ........So where did you put the WASHER/S .......I don't remember any plastic ones ......Thanks ....Mike
    Washer might not be the right word but it is the plastic disc at the top that attaches to the top stud. That is what I make out of stainless.... looks like a big washer with a grove in it.... part # 219800158 is what I replaced...
    Last edited by bgame; 09-20-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....​Now I get it ......I've had the mirrors off dozens of times ....but never looked closely at that attachment area ......I didn't know you could re-place just the SLOTTED part .....that is what you are referring to , correct ......................I think the technical term is " KEY-WAY " ??????.................Mike ..................PS I have put up PICS of mine on another thread ..........
    They call it a housing I think (dumb name)... it is held on by 2 screws and can be held on with 3 screws... but mine only had 2 screws. I noticed yours was missing in the pic of your modification. Sorry it is not missing... it is in the lower right . but it does not look it is held on by screws all mine have screws.... My 2 spring attachments are on the bottom and the slotted one is on top.
    Last edited by bgame; 09-20-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

BRP actually does call them "washers". As good a name as any, I guess.

Spyder Garage

Default any pics of new metal washer pls??

Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    I just made a new metal washer and replaced the cheap plastic one.... Won't have any problem again of it breaking....Took about 30 min. to machine them out of stainless steel.... so I made 2 of them.... one for each side...
    deondutoit@angloamerican.com

Spyder Garage

Default pics link pls

Quote Originally Posted by bgame View Post
    They call it a housing I think (dumb name)... it is held on by 2 screws and can be held on with 3 screws... but mine only had 2 screws. I noticed yours was missing in the pic of your modification. Sorry it is not missing... it is in the lower right . but it does not look it is held on by screws all mine have screws.... My 2 spring attachments are on the bottom and the slotted one is on top.

pics link pls
    deon.dutoit@angloamerican.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get yourself some "Magic Mirror" mounts, and end the worries!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Get yourself some "Magic Mirror" mounts, and end the worries!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

what model year is ur Spyder?? is this a new problem with the 2018's?????
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster Magic Mirror kit for me

I just today ordered the magic mirrors from Lamont. This looks like a great idea and I absolutely hate slapping my mirrors on and off.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

The OP is from 9/2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddtoit View Post
    You realize you've resurrected a 4 year old thread? Look up "Magic Mirrors". Lots of info and videos
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    what model year is ur Spyder?? is this a new problem with the 2018's?????
    BIG F
    Can't believe that this post has been resurrected. Nothing to do with 2018's. That was on my 2013 RT-L, which I changed to Magic Mirror Mounts. Kept them when I traded my 2013 and put them on my new 2017 RT-S. Greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 09-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Can't believe that this post has been resurrected. Nothing to do with 2018's. That was on my 2013 RT-L, which I changed to Magic Mirror Mounts. Kept them when I traded my 2013 and put them on my new 2017 RT-S. Greatest thing since sliced bread.
    So, what was the greatest thing BEFORE sliced bread ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey