Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default can you believe this question?

We stopped for gas and a snack on the way home today. Guy comes up and says "can I ask you a question?". "Sure" we say. "My friend told me these things will roll over faster than a two wheeler. Is that true?" Kris and I look at each other like "really?" "Did we just hear that?" We both said no, and he thanks us and walks away. Duuuuuuuh.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default SIMILAR

I HAD A SOMEWHAT SIMILAR QUESTION ASKED OF ME, BUT WITH A LITTLE TWIST.....
    THIS GUY WALKS UP TO ME AND SAID,
    "I HEAR THESE THINGS FLIP OVER ALOT. IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY STEER BY THE REAR WHEEL, LIKE AN OUTBOARD BOAT"....
    I TOLD HIM THAT IS DIDN'T STEER FROM THE REAR, AND HAD TO SHOW HIM THAT THE FRONT WHEELS MOVED WHEN I MOVED THE HANDLEBAR... HE SHOOCK HIS HEAD AND WALKED AWAY.....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Hard to believe, isn't it?

2014 RT Limited - Black / Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting!

I think some people remember the 3 wheel ATV's that tipped a lot and hurt people even though they were a regular trike and not a reverse trike....maybe that's what they were thinking?
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I think some people remember the 3 wheel ATV's that tipped a lot and hurt people even though they were a regular trike and not a reverse trike....maybe that's what they were thinking?
    x 2. I don't see how anyone can look at the and think its prone to tip overs with the two wheels up front.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder more dangerous the a two wheeler

This lady was on her way to her car in the parking lot of the grocery store, (I was running an errand) and she said I heard that these are more dangerous than a two wheeler. I said they are not and explained the VSS of the Spyder.
    2013 ST , Black

Spyder Garage

I too have had the "rear wheel steer" question and the "Does it lean" question too.

While in Gettysburg a couple weeks back, I had a conversation with a couple that went from (2) 2012 RT's back to a Harley trike. The reason was due to multiple electrical problems they had with both Spyders.

But he flat told me that the Spyders were more stable on both dry or wet pavement, more comfortable and easier to steer than their new trike.

Mike in KY

Spyder Garage

Remember 'Laugh In' and the little old man on the tricycle tipping over?

In my early years, once in a while, that happened to me as I pedaling my little red tricycle.

Turn too sharp, too fast and you do a face plant.

Interesting that people asking questions at gas stations can relate to that.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell them that it's okay; you're licensed to operate a forklift.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Really..!!!

where do they...see, read or hear this stuff..?? Most of them were walking...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    x 2. I don't see how anyone can look at the and think its prone to tip overs with the two wheels up front.
    Never underestimate human stupidity......
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spidergirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    We stopped for gas and a snack on the way home today. Guy comes up and says "can I ask you a question?". "Sure" we say. "My friend told me these things will roll over faster than a two wheeler. Is that true?" Kris and I look at each other like "really?" "Did we just hear that?" We both said no, and he thanks us and walks away. Duuuuuuuh.
    I had a guy at the gas station one day ask me if I needed to push it to start it. I thought that did not deserve an answer and let my HMF exhaust do the talking. Hubby was there watching the guy and he had his mouth open. Bet he won't ask that again!!!

Spyder Garage

Default typical question

was at a friends house(he has a GW) -- some neighbor walks over and said his friend had a Spyder and got ride of it because the Spyder tips over in turns -- "if the signs say 35 mph in this turn -- you BETTER slow down to a crawl " -- I told him -- either his "buddy" has never actually had ridden a Spyder -- or didnt know how to drive one -- then my bud states that I turn at least equal to his GW if not better -- the guy then said he "had to go home" and left

Spyder Garage

about as good as the guy who approaches hollers out ... HEY .. does that thing turn? I mean those front wheels ... do they turn?

my reply was nope .. they sure don't. that is why it takes me four hours to get home.

he stood there and watched me drive away and I made sure I turned the wheels for him to see.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    about as good as the guy who approaches hollers out ... HEY .. does that thing turn? I mean those front wheels ... do they turn?

my reply was nope .. they sure don't. that is why it takes me four hours to get home.
    You forgot to sey, "Here is your sign"

Spyder Garage

I have had a lot of questions about rolling over easy or some variation of it. I have also been asked a lot about rear steering. One fellow that I told it actually steered by the front wheels. He said I was only asking questions you don't have to tell me BS. He then turned and walked away in a huff.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

My best one was when a guy came up to me and started talking about the big long drive belt, telling
    what it was made of etc... as he worked for a company that made similar, but I lost interest real quick
    when his next question was "is it front wheel drive?" I just dropped my visor started up and waved goodbye lolol
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Hi Doc,

Re: "Never underestimate human stupidity......"

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I routinely get the 'Does it lean?' question.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

We had some people tell us that another Spyder owner told them that the Spyder came in three transmission choices, Manual, Semi Automatic and Full Automatic, we could not convince this person that Full Automatic was not an option.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Hmmm well that's a new one ,never been asked that one before.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

We had a guy come up and ask us if it was a dune buggy! Then he said "man, that looks like something my kids play with" (transformers?)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    Sometimes; it's just someone who really WANTS to learn more about them; but needs some work on their opening line...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

stupid is not illegal, it just should be

Spyder Garage

Many people who are not mechanically savvy know of the inherent instability of three-wheel vehicles. The tricycle and 3-wheel ATV are the classic examples. With the single wheel in front, the vehicle is unstable going forward, but surprisingly stable in reverse.

Their higher center of gravity does not help either. Think back to the kids plastic three-wheel "big wheel" that sat so low to the ground, it was quite stable, even with one wheel up front.

So when these people see the Spyder, they often do not instantly realize the vehicle is inherently stable in forward motion, and if anything the instability would only be in reverse. Add to that a lower center of gravity and we indeed have a very stable vehicle. Not as stable as a 4-wheel machine with the same width, but then it would be an automobile, not a motorcycle, with a different set of legal requirements for on-road operation.

So when people ask me about the stability, I tell them a traditional trike is unstable going forward but more stable in reverse, where the Spyder with two wheels in the front is very stable going forward and less stable in reverse. They usually get it at that point. If not then you move on to the VSS, ABS, TCS and DPS discussion.

But it is amazing how stupid some people really are, and remember, they are driving the cars that we are out there with all day long. Sorry to point out that scary fact.....

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD