Spyder Garage

Default Question about ram air filter

I have installed air tubes running from outside of spyder on both sides directly to JT air filter on 2012 RS SE5. See pictures. I'm adding black screws and a little trim on cones to blend into spyder. I also have custom exhaust and BajaRon's high performance plugs & wires. I let the spyder idle for 5 minutes and removed keys and walked away for 10+ minutes. I started it back up & it seemed to re-calibrate and it ran great. I've put 500 miles on this system and running great & I increased my top end from 123 mph to 137 mph @ redline. Spyder seemed to have more snap @ take off & more pep through gears & RPMs. I'm heading to dragaway tonite to get a new 1/4 mile. My fastest stock 1/4 mile was 14.05 @ 95.03 mph.

Do I need a filter inside the cone or somewhere in the air line before it gets to JT air filter? Something like the ram air filter picture # 5 I've attached below or a different ram air fliter? Or does the JT air filter do the trick and just keep the screen on the intake cones to stop debris? Thanx in advance for your guidance.

left outside.jpgleft inside.jpgright inside.jpgright outside.jpgram air filter 1.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Cool Ram Air Filter

Wow! That top end is impressive. Too fast for me though.
    Just taking a quick look at what you've done, I noticed something right off. With the connections you've made using the cones attached to JT's air filter system, it seems that a small area of the filter is being used by each cone. Those areas of the filters are going to become dirty very quickly, and then become inefficient and a maintenance hassle. Just MHO..
    Bakerman

2011 RSS

Spyder Garage

Default new record?

that's about ten mph faster than doc doru at bonneville. seems unlikely.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    that's about ten mph faster than doc doru at bonneville. seems unlikely.
    Doc was doing accurate MPH. The OP is most likely doing Speedo MPH. Still a significant increase, regardless of actual speed.

Plus Doc's time was an average going both ways in less than ideal top speed conditions. And I think he lost some power at the end, if I remember correctly. And he also had to deal with the rev limiter which means no matter how much motor you have, you can't go any faster.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yes, I agree. I believe the top end record is much higher, there is a top end speed time and average overall speed. 137 mph was not that hard to hit on the superslab.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bakerman View Post
    Wow! That top end is impressive. Too fast for me though.
    Just taking a quick look at what you've done, I noticed something right off. With the connections you've made using the cones attached to JT's air filter system, it seems that a small area of the filter is being used by each cone. Those areas of the filters are going to become dirty very quickly, and then become inefficient and a maintenance hassle. Just MHO..
    Excellent point, I'll look into dirt level and possibly add someting that distribute the air all around the filter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default 137 ..... pretty impressive

are you using a fuel management system?
    what exhaust are you using?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

I really need to check into this..20140514_135935.jpg 20140514_140004.jpg 20140509_133419.jpg with JT's air cleaner with a K&N filter. Great pep but nowhere to run to see how peppy...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Chupaca, where'd you get the set up? How does it run into air filter? Is there a filter before air breather filter?

Coz,
    No fuel management, ie, juice box or power commander. Put everything on, let it idle for 5 minutes & take key away & start back up in 5 minutes.
    I have a single spyder attitude exhaust, loud & effective. Seems to run cooler & been having too much fun to check mileage but seems similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Just ran a 1/4 @ 13.95 @ 95.91 mph. Best so far but much to do with my beginner skill set running a spyder. Ran 14s before changes so not a whole lot yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

Home made with online parts. Turbo fans direct to the air ducts up to the air cleaner. Still need to make the feed at the filter. No additional filters just direct air flow...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanx Chupaca.
    I saw the turbo fans online & like your idea. I image the fans help keep moisture & debris out. Yes, I agree about feed @ the filter. Today I'm working on a piece that widens the distribution of air to the JT air filter. I'm also going to develop a removable cap for outside intake. My concern is the fall rain & moisture that we'll be getting in northern IL. Something simple that I can clip on & off depending in weather & maybe a few different types of screens/filters for the outside intake.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]