Spyder Garage

Default Off Topic - Scooter Question

Does anyone in the Spyder world have experience with the Suzuki 400 Burgman? I am interested in getting your impressions, particularly in the area of reliability.
    Thank you for your responses.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rgk View Post
    Does anyone in the Spyder world have experience with the Suzuki 400 Burgman? I am interested in getting your impressions, particularly in the area of reliability.
    Thank you for your responses.
    I owned a 08 & thought it was bulky. Got 60MPG had a 3 Gallon tank. But I bought without test ride on Ebay & Bases on looks. I wouldn't of purchased if I could of test road 1st.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SCOOTERS

....I don't have any experience with the Burgman......However I did ride a scooter for awhile back in the late 60's ......There is one important thing that you should realize about them in general.................The center of MASS on those things is above the axels and I have seen them do an almost instantaneous sort of " snap roll " when they reach their limits in a turn ........They are not very forgiving and give little warning .....I wish you the best of LUCK if you decide to go that route ...........PS I would never get on another one for any amount of money .......even if I didn't own a Spyder ........Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default Missing the point..!!

I work with suzuki's raced them and rode them. They make a reliable well made product. But the test ryde will still be your deciding factor.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to have a Burgman 400. I was active on the forum:
    http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php
    I think they have a good reputation. My main problem was that I'm short and with the height and width of the bike, it was just impossible for me to put my foot down.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Like Prairiespyder, I used to have the burghman 650, but got that model so I could put a voyager kit on it. Tryked out I could ride it, otherwise, not long enough legs.
    Got to say it was very reliable, great gas mileage, fun to ride. The 400 didn't have enough ground clearance to trike.

Spyder Garage

Have you looked into a Piagio Scooter? A subsidiary of Vespa. 3 wheels liens like a 2 wheeler only better. 250 cc does well at 60mph and get 60+ mpg. I still have my 500 easily does 70mph and gets 55 mpg. I actually had it near 100mph according to speedo. At least over 90mph.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reliability?
    Ride and handling?
    YOu just have to try one on for size...
    PLEASE let us know what you think of them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife has both a 400 and a 650 Burgman. The 400 has been really problem free for her so far. She did tip it on the side once while coming to a stop did not like that so I put a tow-pac kit on it and she liked that so well she bought a 650 with a Trinity trike kit. They are true trikes with three wheels. The one thing she likes the most is they are automatic no shifting. She can ride with me all day at road speed on either one but the 650 really has a lot more go.

Spyder Garage

I've ridden a lot of different scooters, including the Burgie 400. Like others have said, it can be a stretch for those with inseam challenges. But aside from that, it rode and handled exceptionally well, just like all the other ones. In addition to my 2013 RT Limited, I currently own a Piaggio X9 Evo 500 and a Aprilia Atlantic 500. Both will do over 100mph and both will get 60mpg when cruising at 70mph. I've ridden the Piaggio 3 wheelers (correct name escapes me at the moment, senior thing), all 3 sizes, but didn't quite like the riding position of sitting in a chair due to the intrusion of the 2 front wheels on the floor boards for your feet. They were amazing to ride and handled great in all sorts of road conditions. Never had a feeling like any of them was going to barrel roll at any time, even doing slow speed figure 8 path used in MSF qualifying course. Like anything else, it is a matter of opinion. If you ride one and can get a good price on it, I say go for it if YOU like it.

Spyder Garage

I second the Piaggio MP3 suggestion! They are amazing motorcycles/scooters!

They come in 250 and 500cc sizes.

The Burgman's a great scooter. I have ridden the 650, not a 400. Compared to the 1960s, they have much larger diameter tires (I had a Lambretta in ~1961). A little heavy and as said above, requires longer legs.

BTW, Vespa is a unit within Piaggio, not the other way around.

Some MP3 pics attached and the website.

http://www.piaggio.com/piaggio/INT/en/MP3.html#main

Good luck on your 'next adventure!'

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

There were a couple Burgman 650 owners in our MC club. They went all over Alaska with virtually no problems.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a 2009 400 Burgman and found it very reliable and fun to ride. The only reason I switched to a spyder was I found that as I got older at turns when I started moving I started feeling I may not be able to keep it upright and with a spyder that was not a concern. I do miss my Burgman sometimes as it was a blast to ride.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

I owned a Burgman 650 for years...the bike I learned to ride on! Loved it! Had it for 3 years and never in the shop except for oil changes and a new tire!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    I second the Piaggio MP3 suggestion! They are amazing motorcycles/scooters!

They come in 250 and 500cc sizes.

The Burgman's a great scooter. I have ridden the 650, not a 400. Compared to the 1960s, they have much larger diameter tires (I had a Lambretta in ~1961). A little heavy and as said above, requires longer legs.

BTW, Vespa is a unit within Piaggio, not the other way around.

Some MP3 pics attached and the website.

http://www.piaggio.com/piaggio/INT/en/MP3.html#main

Good luck on your 'next adventure!'

Joe T.
    You are correct I misspoke thanks for correction.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 Burgman 400. Bought it new. I've commuted on it since then with absolutely no problems. Love the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Honda SilverWing is another great scoot. I had one from 2002 to 2007 and rode the p*ss out of it. Even installed a Texas Sidecar and put many thousands of pleasant miles on it. Never a bit of problems.

Spyder Garage

Test ride a Yamaha T Max - smoothness and mileage of a scooter but power of a full up motorcycle. I had mine at 120 mph on the track. I still miss it.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER