Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob i would not pick on our legal system only those that use and abuse it, but i do stand by what i said.
    Everyone can use what ever tire & size they want at their own discretion but don't cry if something goes wrong, only lawyer win in a lawsuit.

Spyder Garage

Friend owns a tire and auto place. According to his attorney. As long as you are replacing the tires on a car, they have to be of equal or better speed rating. I ran into this when a I wanted to downgrade the tires on my car. They were rated for 160 mph. I wanted to drop to 130 mph. Same size, but he wouldn't do it. Top speed on the car was 118 mph. Just saying. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Friend owns a tire and auto place. According to his attorney. As long as you are replacing the tires on a car, they have to be of equal or better speed rating. I ran into this when a I wanted to downgrade the tires on my car. They were rated for 160 mph. I wanted to drop to 130 mph. Same size, but he wouldn't do it. Top speed on the car was 118 mph. Just saying. Tom

Load ratings are equally important. And this is related to the liability problem Discount Tire is having. They stand behind that liability concern even when it costs THEM money.

Years ago they sold and installed a set of wheels and tires for my F-250 pickup. Couple months ago I went back to Discount to get another set of identical Yokohama tires installed (second set since wheels installed). They refused to sell them as the tires were not rated for the capacity of the truck. Regardless of if I used the rated capacity or not. Worse, there were NO tires available for the size wheel they had sold me that were rated.

Discount Tire bought back the 10 year old wheels at full value and sold me new ones and Michelin tires properly rated at a hefty discount for all the trouble, far less that what I was going to pay for the Yokohamas to begin with. At least they walk the walk, not just hot air.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Mr. Humphreys, because I am not a " BUM " I will take the time to help you understand a few things about measurements ........But first let me say that my figure # .0005 % was just an EXAGGERATION and you have my apology for that.........However I think you were rude to say I was/am a BUM and lets leave RELIGION elsewhere OK.........I happen to have BOTH tires in question in my garage a Hydro edge 215 /60-15 & a 225 /50 -15...........I measured them side by side and you are correct the difference is approx. 1 in.........But when you mount them and put them on the Spyder it will only change the height by 1/2 in because only 1/2 inch is below the axel,,,the other 1/2 inch is ABOVE the axel and this has nothing to do with elevating the Spyder.................Plus this will only RAISE the rear of the Spyder , not the front .......To get an accurate change in the CENTER OF GRAVITY ........do this ---take two car jackstands and place them 5 1/2 ft apart ( this is the wheelbase of the Spyder + - )......now take a something 6 ft long that won't bend like angle-iron......place it on the jack stands......measure in the middle down to the ground ........now place something 1/2 thick on one of the jack stands under the angle-iron .....and measure again in the same spot ......this will give you a number that more closely reflects the CHANGE IN THE C.G. ,........How much do you think this change is going to be ??????..........I'll tell you ....It's now 1/4 inch .....Do you really think 1/4 inch change in the C.G. is going to affect the handling of your Spyder ? ? ?........................and as far as the weight thing goes at 500 lbs I think this has exceeded the what BRP recommends for the Spyder but that's for you to decide ...........................Even at that weight the springs either OEM, or ELKA , or FOX etc. are ( to best of my knowledge ) PROGRESSIVE RATE springs ......meaning they get STIFFER the more you compress them ...........So even at 500 lbs the height change in your Spyder is not as much as you might think............Your welcome .......Mikeguyver
    You know the sad thing is I would never presuppose to tell you that I knew more about the handling of your bike than you. You can say what you want. It did change it. That is a fact. I was running the suspension on the hardest setting and after the tire change I dropped it down to the next to the lowest setting. That probably lowered the bike enough that it actually caused it to handle better than with the OEM tire. As I said, I would not tell you about how your bike handles to you. I think that was very rude. You basically called me a liar. No other way I can look at that. And that is what makes you a bum in my book. Everyone that wants to can side with you all they want. You would not let someone tell you that you didn't know what you were talking about. And that is exactly what I did. Stood up for myself. And, as far the 500 lbs being over what the bike allows, we ask the salesman that very question before we laid out 32K for the bike. If what you say is true, that man is a liar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The actual rated losd capacity is 487 lbs...
    I just looked it up in the owner's manual.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We are right at it then. Wife has lost some weight so we are slightly below that, but I did tell the salesman 500 lbs and he sure enough said that was no problem. Thanks for looking that up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to be able to do something useful around here...
    The older RTs had a limit of 525 pounds...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I must be close to that with all my gear on and bags filled!
    Best only run it at half tank!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I'M TIRED OF THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    You know the sad thing is I would never presuppose to tell you that I knew more about the handling of your bike than you. You can say what you want. It did change it. That is a fact. I was running the suspension on the hardest setting and after the tire change I dropped it down to the next to the lowest setting. That probably lowered the bike enough that it actually caused it to handle better than with the OEM tire. As I said, I would not tell you about how your bike handles to you. I think that was very rude. You basically called me a liar. No other way I can look at that. And that is what makes you a bum in my book. Everyone that wants to can side with you all they want. You would not let someone tell you that you didn't know what you were talking about. And that is exactly what I did. Stood up for myself. And, as far the 500 lbs being over what the bike allows, we ask the salesman that very question before we laid out 32K for the bike. If what you say is true, that man is a liar.
    .......​Mr.Humphrey's I NEVER accused you of LYING in any posts I made not " BASICALLY " or even implied .......The problem as I see it is ...it's pointless to discuss or defend myself to you because YOU don't understand what you read....................I'm done with this nonsense ......Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Give it a rest Mike. You rub a lot of people the wrong way and come up with some pretty off the chain ideas and fixes. You are far from being Scotty and could take some lessons from him on how to deal with people including cutting out the idiotic fonts and multiple emoticons. They make you look childish and some of your replies do too. Simple B&W and one or 2 emoticons will make you more credible. JMHO
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry Mike...

Registered Users
    Tri Cities of Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville
    Spyder Garage

Well I'll be hornswaggled. (whatever that means) Level heads all around. Damn refreshing and what makes this the very best forum.
    Allen B.\aka adlereins
    Last edited by adlereins; 09-19-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default I really appreciate you getting involved in this

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Give it a rest Mike. You rub a lot of people the wrong way and come up with some pretty off the chain ideas and fixes. You are far from being Scotty and could take some lessons from him on how to deal with people including cutting out the idiotic fonts and multiple emoticons. They make you look childish and some of your replies do too. Simple B&W and one or 2 emoticons will make you more credible. JMHO
    So Dave are you saying I did call him a liar ????????...................And I never ,ever ,ever , thought I was / could re-place Scotty ....or are you saying I said that too....?????

Spyder Garage

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sorry Mike...
    .......Sorry Bob , but I don't believe you

Spyder Garage

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well... There goes my thread.

Thanks guys!

Take it outside...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zamfield View Post

Thanks guys!

Take it outside...
    Talk about going sideways

No Mike I am saying you are getting annoying and childish. Try going for quality instead of quantity. How many off topic posts did you make in this thread Th th that's all folks
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default YES YES YES

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Talk about going sideways

No Mike I am saying you are getting annoying and childish. Try going for quality instead of quantity. How many off topic posts did you make in this thread Th th that's all folks
    Yep Dave you are absolutely right , I was called a BUM twice by Mr. Humphrey's during one of His Christian moments so I suppose that does make me some sort of villain. And what did you say about use of too many Icons ??????...........And are you not answering my post # 88 because you can't or won't because I'm right and you won't admit it !!!!!!....................Mike

Spyder Garage

Yep Dave you are absolutely right , I was called a BUM twice by Mr. Humphrey's during one of His Christian moments so I suppose that does make me some sort of villain. And what did you say about use of too many Icons ??????...........And are you not answering my post # 88 because you can't or won't because I'm right and you won't admit it !!!!!!....................Mike
    I have been called worse Does it really matter? You started it and just won't quit will you? You are not getting it. This is a thread about the AST tire nothing more.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys!

Take it outside...
    Sorry! Did not mean to hijack your thread. I like the Michelin Hydroedge tire and since it is taller, has a harder composition, and stiffer sidewalls and more belts, it is going to function differently. By softening my suspension it works great. Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks guys!

Take it outside...
    Well; at least we've established some guidelines:
    DON'T mention that it's for a Spyder... it makes their lawyers cranky!
    There are lots of other tires available; even in different sizes...
    ...and they MIGHT even change the center of gravity of your bike...
    Discount Tire doesn't quite deal with this is the same manner as Discount tire Direct...
    It's okay to put the Kumho Ecsta AST in the 225/50-15 size on a Toyota Tacoma

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well; at least we've established some guidelines:
    DON'T mention that it's for a Spyder... it makes their lawyers cranky!
    There are lots of other tires available; even in different sizes...
    ...and they MIGHT even change the center of gravity of your bike...
    Discount Tire doesn't quite deal with this is the same manner as Discount tire Direct...
    It's okay to put the Kumho Ecsta AST in the 225/50-15 size on a Toyota Tacoma
    Funny!

I love conclusions!

Spyder Garage

...........................Even at that weight the springs either OEM, or ELKA , or FOX etc. are ( to best of my knowledge ) PROGRESSIVE RATE springs ......meaning they get STIFFER the more you compress them ...........So even at 500 lbs the height change in your Spyder is not as much as you might think............Your welcome .......Mikeguyver
    You are incorrect. All manufacturers mentioned above use Linear springs in the front. There is not enough stroke available on the Spyder shocks to allow us to use progressive springs, or a dual spring rate to create a progressive spring rate. The vehicle would roll to much in the corners.

Spyder Garage

Default I DID SAY " TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE "

[QUOTE=Trooper;876290]You are incorrect. All manufacturers mentioned above use Linear springs in the front. There is not enough stroke available on the Spyder shocks to allow us to use progressive springs, or a dual spring rate to create a progressive spring rate. The vehicle would roll to much in the corners.[/QUOTE...................................Thanks for clearing this up..................I was going to delete it entirely but I can't find it now !!!!!!.............Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires on its way!

Here's an update... Received a tracking number today from discount tires.com!

RESULT!!!

should have my tire on Monday.